Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2024 Playoffs- 4th Round: Boston Celtics - Dallas Mavericks
(06-17-2024, 01:14 PM)michaeltex Wrote: I'm not sure THJ going 4-5 against the BOS B/C team in the 4th quarter pickup game increases my trust in him for important minutes in future games. He been a microwave (sorry, Vinnie) off the bench for a few years, but has not shown anything this year, especially post-injury.

Definitely agree that overreacting to the garbage time buckets would be silly. On the other hand, just watching the ball go in might be helpful to him, psychologically. 

I do NOT agree with the emboldened statement. I think prior to his slump, which began just before the trade deadline, if I recall, he was having a GREAT season off the bench. I specifically remember because he had never acclimated well to a bench role before, despite it being tried several times by both Carlisle and Kidd. It was working well this year, and at one point he was squarely in the 6MOTY conversation. 

Something changed, and I'm not sure what. I don't know if he got in his head about being pushed down the pecking order even more, or if he was hoping to be traded out of here at the deadline, or if he and someone important on the team don't get along, or what, but there's something. I would say there's a 100% chance he's not here next year, because both he (contract year) and the Mavs (not even playing him, at this point) will want that outcome, but I'm not as convinced as some that giving him some burn tonight to see if his head is up to it would be the worst thing in the world. It might end up being a collosal blunder, and I acknowledge that, but there's a chance he makes the difference. At the very, very least, he's going to hold a defender at the perimeter. On THIS team, desperately trying to create space, that has to be tempting for the coaching staff.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • Jmaciscool
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2024 Playoffs- 4th Round: Boston Celtics - Dallas Mavericks - by KillerLeft - 06-17-2024, 01:23 PM