Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Thoughts Mavs 107, Clippers 110
First a tip of the hat to Dwight Powell.  What a great personality to have on the roster and a terrible injury for the Mavs.  Sad

There's nothing good about losing DP.  He was in fact it seems hitting another level as a player so in that sense the timing is awful.  Undecided

If there is a silver lining at all, it may be in that Rick Carlisle could be forced to play the guy I've been harping on all season to get used more. 
I mean seriously guys, this line: 

Quote:Boban (16 min) got some extended run in light of DP's injury. He had 12 points and 7 rebounds in his time on the court. He added some interior offense, with layins, post-ups, floaters, and flat-footed shots and rebounds with a smile in the opponent's face, lol. It slays me to watch him play -- in a good way.  He rarely misses shots, and went 5-6 on the night. Also exhibited some passing skill, and made good decisions.  He was one of 5 Mavs who ended up in net positive territory in the +/- column. Carlisle commended him for being ready. I think we will be seeing more of Bobi in days to come. 

So, pour one out for Powell and let's talk Boban Marjanovic the Maverick version: 
I missed this game so have to go back and watch. Checking the recaps on NBA.com In 16 minutes.  Are you kidding me?  
I see not only coach but even on these boards, most people still don't see how this guys elite offense could offset his speed problems on defense, if he's used well.   

Quote:Marjanovic logged nearly 16 minutes against the Clippers, producing 12 points on 5-of-6 shooting with seven rebounds and two blocks.

Not sure why that isn't more obvious to more people besides Derek Harper and I.   Wink

For Carlisle to maximize him though, he really should do more than just get him minutes.  
They need to run some offense through him more deliberately, more often.  He opens a lot of space on the floor for the Mavs many shooters because its literally impossible to ignore him if he's near the rim or headed toward the rim.  One or two bodies guaranteed to be occupied.  

On defense, its a different story. Its a problem. I actually think Bobi can be ok on the stretch 5.  His wingspan allows him to contest pretty well if the Mavs tell him to stay home on a perimeter guy.  He should be able to give  up some space to protect against blow by while still contesting decently.  If a 5 gets hot out there its a problem, but they are not always hot.   
The PnR is what likely gives Carlisle and NBA coaches an upset stomach when Bobi is in the game.  They just can't stomach getting eaten alive on that.  I'd like to see Bobi be more aggressive on rim defense.  That could help. 
No stupid fouls, just go after the blocked shot if anyone dares challenge the rim with him near, body contact is welcomed. 
Train the refs to expect him to be a shot blocker and he'll get more slack on calls.  If he's timid on defense, they'll foul him right out. 

Bobi has to get his back on the other end, and generate fouls against the opponent as well. 
Finally, yes they could use another big as well since Bobi is still a short minute guy all his career. 
Be interesting to see what Dallas does here to address the Powell loss.  Who is out there?  
Wasn't Justin Patton destroying the G-League?  Is he available from the Thunder? 

They could also go small ball more with the roster they have.
More KP inside?
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Few Thoughts Mavs 107, Clippers 110 - by Dahlsim - 01-22-2020, 09:52 AM