Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2024 Playoffs- 4th Round: Boston Celtics - Dallas Mavericks
I haven't been a fan of the Mavs' approach on either end of the court through two games.

Offensively, they have seemed totally surprised by Boston's determination to take away the 1-5 screen and roll, and I think Dallas has played right into their hands by not even attempting to make that work. Once Luka forced more defensive attention in Game 2 (that's a good sign, but think about what it took from Luka to get there), they were able to free up Lively 1-2 times in the paint, but it seems like every time that works, Boston coach calls an immediate timeout to fix the miscommunication (I had almost forgotten coaches could do that, lol). The problem with "just go win, Luka and Ky" is that against a team like this, they BOTH have to have at least A- games to score enough points. I'm pretty disappointed that Daniel Gafford post ups seem to be the best think Kidd has had with which to answer this crisis. I know the "Kleber at center" topic is divisive around here, but there were times late when his defender wouldn't come off of him to help, and Luka was able to take advantage. The late play against Horford comes to mind, and there were other examples, too. 

Anyway, if this is how they're going to attack, Luka MUST stop passing out of desperation. If he's in trouble, a bad SHOT is better than a bad PASS, at least against this defense with this attack style. Dallas SHOULD have an advantage on the offensive glass, so Luka needs to resign himself to the idea that he needs to just get the ball on the rim. Maybe he draws a foul. Maybe they get an offensive rebound. More possible good outcomes than throwing it directly to the other team, I think. 

Kyrie is creating some good looks. He picked a horrible time to start missing them, but I'm sure the fact that he and Luka are finally having to work on defense has a lot to do with that. Hopefully, the shotmaking gets better at home. 

Defensively, Luka is the target almost every time. I...THINK that when you see someone blow by him effortlessly (this has been happening to Lively a lot, too) that it's kinda-sorta part of the plan. I THINK the plan is to prevent the three (from the ball-handler) and make sure they send them towards back-line help, only...I think that's a pretty terrible plan. Boston UNDERSTANDS how to move the ball, and they can ALL shoot. Dallas rotates well, sometimes, but it's too much to ask them to do that for 48 minutes, imho. I wonder if playing off the ball, just a little more, with the idea of Tatum or Brown taking 1-2 dribble pull-ups or even stepbacks might not play more into the Mavs' favor than this current strategy. In other words, what happens if/when the Mavs simply start focusing on keeping the ball IN FRONT OF THEM? Maybe they just can't, and that's why Kidd is playing this way, not sure. 

I have not seen a series in which a few more shots dropping or a lose ball here or there might've changed things, so far. Boston looks like the far more prepared, deeper, better coached team to me. This Porzingis thing could potentially change the series, but I don't know if it will be enough.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • Lukedoncic, SleepingHero
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2024 Playoffs- 4th Round: Boston Celtics - Dallas Mavericks - by KillerLeft - 06-11-2024, 02:59 PM