Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2024 Playoffs- 4th Round: Boston Celtics - Dallas Mavericks
(06-02-2024, 04:51 PM)The Jom Wrote: The claims here that Boston has more talent really grate on me. Go post that on a Celtics board. This is a super-talented Mavs team. And we’ll know soon enough who is more talented.

I’m also surprised that there isn’t more discussion of the Celt’s lack of size. Horford is an all-time great role player. But he’s 37. Zing has some real strengths. But also some huge weaknesses (known well on this board). Plus he’s not 100% (ever). And after these fellas, who’s gonna protect the rim? (Please tell me Luke Kornet! Oh please!)

Sure, 2 rim protectors ordinarily might seem like enough. But again, old, injured, and in Zing’s case soft. This against a 2-headed monster that sprints down the court every offensive possession and batters you on every possible rebound. Making it impossible to keep your legs into the 4th quarter and effectively killing the argument of those who might otherwise claim best-shooting-big-man status.

Chet from deep, regular season: 37%, conf semis: 22%.
KAT from deep, regular season: 42%, conf finals 24%.
Zing/Horford from deep, regular season: 38/42%, finals ???

I really like this post.  We're bigger than the Celtics and I hope we take advantage of that.  I want to see 48 minutes of Gafford and Lively beating down Porzingis on offense the way they beat down Gobert.  I think an exhausted and frustrated Kristaps will struggle to hit 3 pointers.  At least that is my hope.  I want to win the rebounding battle.  The Celtics defense is outstanding but offensive rebounds really exhaust even the best defense.  I want Gafford and Lively to crash the offensive boards.  I want a lot of violent finishes.  I want Gafford to hurt a lot of feelings.  

I think Derrick White is pretty awesome and is a top-20 player in the NBA.  I don't think he's the weakest link.  I believe Jaylen Brown is somewhat overrated.  I think he's a 3rd-tier star.  I want them to run the offense through Jaylen Brown.  Of their starting five, he's the one I'd choose to leave open from distance.   Let Jaylen Brown shoot 10 3s per game.  

I want PJ Washington to play Tatum as physical as possible.  Then I want to see Josh Green harass him like a squirrel on methamphetamine.  I want us to win the energy battle.  I'd like Kidd to substitute frequently.  I want quick bursts of Hardy, Exum, Green and Maxi-  3 minutes at a time.  Rotate Gafford and Lively like football teams rotate defensive tackles.  I'd like Kidd to be creative and break conventional wisdom.  Play 10 players rather than 8 like every other team does.  Substitute backups for other backups.  Rotate constantly.  

Let Kyrie run the show more on offense and have Luka play a bit more off-ball.   Luka is bigger and stronger than any Celtic starter.  Have him set a few hard screens.  Let's also post-up Luka more.  

I hope this is the series where Jason Kidd proves that he's a great coach and I'm an idiot for criticizing him for so long.  I want lots of creativity and weirdness.  We're the clear underdogs so let's change the game a bit.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2024 Playoffs- 4th Round: Boston Celtics - Dallas Mavericks - by surfpuckmd - 06-02-2024, 11:24 PM