Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2024 Playoffs- 4th Round: Boston Celtics - Dallas Mavericks
(06-02-2024, 04:51 PM)The Jom Wrote: The claims here that Boston has more talent really grate on me. Go post that on a Celtics board. This is a super-talented Mavs team. And we’ll know soon enough who is more talented.

I’m also surprised that there isn’t more discussion of the Celt’s lack of size. Horford is an all-time great role player. But he’s 37. Zing has some real strengths. But also some huge weaknesses (known well on this board). Plus he’s not 100% (ever). And after these fellas, who’s gonna protect the rim? (Please tell me Luke Kornet! Oh please!)

Sure, 2 rim protectors ordinarily might seem like enough. But again, old, injured, and in Zing’s case soft. This against a 2-headed monster that sprints down the court every offensive possession and batters you on every possible rebound. Making it impossible to keep your legs into the 4th quarter and effectively killing the argument of those who might otherwise claim best-shooting-big-man status.

Chet from deep, regular season: 37%, conf semis: 22%.
KAT from deep, regular season: 42%, conf finals 24%.
Zing/Horford from deep, regular season: 38/42%, finals ???

Don’t even let me get started on Derrick White. An 8-year vet who only became an above-average shooter last year. And to this day is streaky as Hardaway Jr. Sure, he’s shot the ball well these playoffs. (In large part because Miami seemed to scheme for him to shoot 25 of em in the last 2 games of the first round.) But still, that incudes games in which he went 2/9 (Pacers gm 4), 2/8 (Pacers gm 3), 1/4 (Cavs gm 4), 1/8 (Cavs gm 2), 2/7 (Heat gm 3). So whatever. But sure, he’s a fine player.

As for keys to the series, I see just one. His name is Luka. He either supernovas or he doesn’t. In the biggest moment so far in an already very big career. Now, who wants to bet against that? Not me.

Go Mavs!

There is fandom. And there is blind homerism. Derrick White for example is their version of DJJ. Who would you rather have? The all defense wing that also averages 18/4/4. Is a 40% 3-point shooter and capable playmaker. Or DJJ?
I think even the most biased Celtics fans would admit that Luka is the best player in the series. I think Mavs fans should be able to admit that on paper Holiday/White/KP/Horford are clearly better than DJJ/PJ/Lively/Gafford.

Thankfully the series isn't played on paper. And the Mavs don't need to have a better 82 games season than Boston. Borderline impossible. They just need to beat them in a best of seven series. Difficult but I like the Mavs chances if we get the best version of Luka and Kyrie.
[-] The following 6 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • BigDirk41, Jmaciscool, Jym, KillerLeft, Not an evil robot, RGP1981
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2024 Playoffs- 4th Round: Boston Celtics - Dallas Mavericks - by dirkfansince1998 - 06-02-2024, 05:32 PM