Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2024 Playoffs- 4th Round: Boston Celtics - Dallas Mavericks
(06-02-2024, 12:09 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Looking at a bigger sample size it is a sizeable disparity. Looking at metrics that are used to compare teams the Celtics had an all time great season. Just looking at the regular season. 5th all time in SRS. 4th in net rating.
One could make a legit case that they have 4-5 allstar level player on the roster. 4-5 players with a legit case for a spot in the all-defense teams.

But thankfully that's not a guarantee to win it all. In 16/17 the 73-9 Warriors lost in the finals. Against a less talented Cavs team (featuring Kyrie). Even the best teams can run into a bad matchup. Can have off games at the worst possible time.

Mavs on the other hand did not look like a contender for most of the season. They figured things out in march and peaked at the right time. The hottest team in the league that has basically matched the Celtics record in the last 20 games of the regular season.

To be fair, Mavs did not look like a contender most of the season because they had a lot of injury issues early and significantly changed the team at the TDL.  I would argue the last 35 games is more about who they actually are than a hot streak.

I also think there is a difference between regular season talent and playoff talent.  I think Luka is clearly a better playoff player than regular season player, and I think in the playoffs having the best player is more important than what raw regular season data would suggest.  

I'm not saying Boston doesn't have more talent and shouldn't be favored, I just don't think they are as far apart as some here suggest.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2024 Playoffs- 4th Round: Boston Celtics - Dallas Mavericks - by mvossman - 06-02-2024, 01:44 PM