Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A hot take that really isn't a hot take
(05-17-2024, 11:21 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I think any time you have a super star, you have to be aware that the tide can change quickly.  I agree, the mavs look well positioned moving forward with some tweaks.  Looking back, the Kyrie trade may have saved us from Luka growing frustrated.  Things can change  quickly though.  Can you imagine watching what Brunson was doing now if we lacked Kyrie and still had Dinwiddie and spare parts as core teammates.  That would have been extremely tough.

Seems like, in the early part of a superstar’s career, it can be all about individual stats and getting paid.

As their career progresses, especially in the late part of their career, it can become all about winning championships, especially if they haven’t yet achieved it.

We also see guys like KD and LeBron, who seem to have very little loyalty, and become afraid that Luka will behave just like them. Fear can be devastating.

But there are plenty of guys who understand that loyalty to a team and city can pay very big long-term rewards. Dirk, Kobe, Stockton & Malone.

I think that the fear of losing a superstar can motivate a front office to make desperate moves. This also weakens their negotiating position, since the other GM’s understand their vulnerability. 

Better to be loyal to your superstar, and assume that they will, in return.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: A hot take that really isn't a hot take - by DallasMaverick - 05-17-2024, 01:18 PM