Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 1 2024 Playoffs: Dallas Mavericks (0-0) vs. Oklahoma City Thunder (0-0)
Luka is injured and there is absolutely nothing that can be done to change that. He is going to be injured for as long as the Mavs' season continues.

Is there a way to adjust the way you play to account for that, besides Luke just standing 40' from the basket like he was doing last night on the Kyrie led possessions? Unfortunately I don't think there is. He's not a spot up shooter. There is clearly some reason they aren't going to his post game more, and maybe that's injury related as well.

That said, I would at least like to see them TRY something. Maybe him in the corner some on Kyrie PnRs and see if OKC is fine tagging the roller from the weak side aggressively or if they hang tighter to Luka. Maybe put him in the dunker spot on Kyrie PnR action, not because he's gonna catch any lobs but because his gravity may create more room for Kai or a lob. Use him as the screener and see if you can hit him on the half roll.

I don't know that any of that makes sense, or if any of it would remotely work. But when the only off ball plan for Luka is to stand near half court and then come get the ball if the first action doesn't work I'm not sure you're even trying. Kidd's only plan to use Luka's gravity is to drag a guy out and try and play 4 on 4. I'd just like to see some wrinkles that take some possessions off Luka's plate while still trying to use his presence to create some favorable space for everyone else.
[-] The following 3 users Like MaxiThreeba's post:
  • BigDirk41, LifeAquatic, rocky164
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
Q - by surfpuckmd - 05-08-2024, 01:34 PM
RE: Q - by HoosierDaddyKid - 05-08-2024, 01:47 PM
RE: Q - by surfpuckmd - 05-08-2024, 02:18 PM
RE: GAME 1 2024 Playoffs: Dallas Mavericks (0-0) vs. Oklahoma City Thunder (0-0) - by MaxiThreeba - 05-08-2024, 03:28 PM