Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Thoughts on Mavs 109, '76ers 91
(01-12-2020, 02:49 PM)Dahlsim Wrote: Great stuff as always ML.  
Wow.  So when do I get to say "I told ya so." Mavsluvr when it comes to making the case Boban could help this team more?  Was it last game or so I commented on how others including even you were talking about the need for help at backup Big but mentioning names as if Marjonovic wasn't even on the roster? 

I don't think I ever suggested that Boban wasn't on the roster, lol. Iirc, I was talking about the action on the court and how none of the Mavs could stop the Lakers big men. I intended to refer to the guys on the court. That's how I remember it, anyway, and that was what I meant if I didn't phrase it well. Not saying now that Boban could have stopped them, either -- we'll never know, will we?

He's too gentle yes, but the Mavs don't have another guy that can put BEEF in the paint and force the opposing centers to stay occupied around the boards just fighting off his monster presence and avoiding fouls.  Here it was Sixers but the same would work for Lakers and others. 

Not accusing Boban of being too gentle. That's actually a quality about him that I like. When other guys who dunk are all full of sturm und drang, Bobi just calmly puts the ball in without even jumping. What a bad-ass move, ha. 

This guy gets put and in and 9 times out of 10 produces at the very least on offense and the boards for Dallas in a way that Dallas simply has no other post presence to do.  Yes Luka is great but he's never going to be 7 foot + which at times just matters (Hello Jokic). 

Can't argue with that. 

One last point on this, I heard a bit of Carlisle interviewing on radio with Coop and he as asked about Boban and if he could / should be used more.  Carlisle essentially said there's no question Boban has always been an NBA ++ on offense.  His concern and limiting factor according to Rick is as we all know what happens on defense and most specifically on the PnR.  It sounds like its not even the 5-out stretch five that worries Carlisle but its Boban getting picked on in the Pick in Roll.  

I believe that, and think it is why Rick is reluctant to overexpose him. It's risking giving the opposing guard a path to the basket every time. But, as you say, the same could be said of the other bigs in certain situations, and at least Marjanovic provides some offense.

So yeah, Carlisle is of course thinking about Boban's offense but he evidently just can't live with getting eaten up in the pervasive NBA pick in roll.  I give Coach credit there, defense can't be neglected in the NBA.  
At the same time my pet peeve is when the Mavs need to hold a lead over a short time and just scoring a few buckets could be enough to save a game.  
In the those situations its the other team has to get stops more than the Mavericks and that's when a devastating inside option can be the difference between an 'L' and a 'W'.
You make good points, dahl. All I can think of is that when it comes to choosing between development and maximizing wins this season, Carlisle prioritizes development. I think Boban is only getting minutes now because Rick has some sort of concern about the minutes of Maxi/Powell. Boban is not part of the long-term plan, so he doesn't get out much. I enjoy watching him, and would like to see him more. 
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Few Thoughts on Mavs 109, '76ers 91 - by mavsluvr - 01-12-2020, 03:15 PM