Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
The Most Unplayable Maverick of the Week
(01-20-2024, 10:46 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: This is why Dallas is mainly mentioned in terms of reclamation projects like Wiggins/Washington, both of whom are playing well below their contracts.   

I could also see a Hardy/Moody swap if we end up dealing for Wiggins.  My construct would be GWill to GSW, the Warriors paying the Wizards to take Holmes and we get Wiggins/Moody.  

This is more reporting than advocacy.  I was looking for some explanation on what in the world happened to Wiggins from a Warriors POV on YouTube and came across one video (from Swish Culture, who has pretty good viewership) that had a  deal and a related deal that fit the reporting that:

Dallas is shopping THJ/Holmes
GSW wants a big (namely Gafford)
Washington is willing to facilitate bigger deals for compensation
Dallas has interest in Wiggins/Kuzma (or just about any big forward)
GSW will move Wiggins before the deadline

Wiggins is apparently very close to Poole and the way Poole was treated in GS is cited as contributing to Wiggins decline (pressure to be vaccinated, injuries, illness and his father's death being other factors in a string of events that destroyed the relationship with the Warriors).  So, part of the theory on the first deal is that being reunited with bestie Poole might reinvigorate Wiggins (what do the Wiz have to lose?).  Dallas isn't involved in the first one as it is just a Kuzma for Wiggins swap.  The GSW-based host thinks GSW would be forced to start Kuzma and that would be an issue for Kuminga's development.

So, he pivots to inserting Dallas into the deal with THJ going to GSW to come off the bench with Kuminga taking Wiggins' spot in the starting lineup.  That deal misses being legal by $170k and puts Dallas way into the tax this year.  It also doesn't solve GSW's need for a big.  So, the rest of this is my speculation trying to make his idea legal.  

I can see a path where Kuzma ends up here, THJ with the Warriors and you add Gafford (going to GSW) and Holmes (going to Washington) to the deal.  Dallas is back under the tax now and probably owes something to Washington (2025 second?) for taking on Holmes (I'm counting THJ/Kuz as a fairly even swap).  GSW needs to add some salary here.  I'm going to send Looney and GSW's 2025 first.  GSW is getting THJ and Gafford in this deal and sending out underperforming assets.  So, it should cost them something.  It could have been Moody, but I think GS would rather send the bigger salary and the Wiz would rather have the future first.   Washington needs to be bad the next couple of years and create some cap space in 2025.  Taking a flyer on Bagley (and now Wiggins) would be the kind of moves a tear it down team would make.

So, GSW gets THJ/Gafford for Wiggins/Looney/2025 GSW 1st

Dallas gets Kuzma for THJ/Holmes/2025 Tor 2nd

Washington gets Wiggins/Looney/Holmes/1st/2nd for Kuzma/Gafford  

Dallas is $7.8mm under the tax and drops $5.5mm of 24/25 salary.  The starting lineup is light on D, but Kuzma is much more of a shot creator than THJ.  So, as the game progresses you can keep two of Luka/Kyrie/Kuz on the floor with 3 defenders.  Depth chart =

Lively                           Powell/Morris
               Maxi
Kuzma                          OMax
               GWill
Luka
               DJJ
Green                           Hardy
               Exum
Kyrie                             Seth
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Most Unplayable Maverick of the Week - by DanSchwartzgan - 01-21-2024, 09:42 AM
JamesConway912 - by JamesConway912 - 01-20-2024, 01:54 PM