Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game 19: Oklahoma City Thunder (12-6) vs. Dallas Mavericks (11-7) | 8:00pm CST
(12-03-2023, 11:06 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: EDIT: I think I agree with the ORIGIN of your opinion, in that I believe it's based on the idea that longterm, the team will need one offensively featured front court player. I'm just not sure it has be the 4. You're assuming a ceiling for Lively I'm not (you might be right) and you're assuming Green is the other starter, so Williams is in the way of that for you.

I do assume Green is the fifth starter and I think he's more prototypical for what is needed there than Williams is for his position.  I don't think Williams is prototypical at all.  He's kind of a tweener (especially when Nico mentions rebounding and force). 

I don't assume any limits on Lively's ability.  I do assume some limitations on his role.  As you said, he's Luka's PnR guy.  He'll probably get some post opportunities with time.  Maybe some pick and pop.  Who knows what else.  I think he'll be right up there with the best rim protecting rollers while also having some other skills (like passing).  But a smallish stand in the corner four who doesn't rebound is probably not the answer.  I might be dissuaded if there was some offensive ability with the ball in his hands.  But, other than a bit of passing, it isn't really much better than DFS with the ball in his hands...and I like Williams and liked the signing and still do.

The problem is trying to find that guy who does what Williams does well and is better at everything else.  Availability is the other important quality.  I think Siakam is probably the better fit than Markkanen.  The 3 isn't ideal, but Siakam is a great defender and a willing passer.  He could also give you some minutes at the five when Lively sits.  Two birds, one stone.
[-] The following 2 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • Nowitzki Way, Reunion Mav
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
Jason Terry - by Jason Terry - 12-02-2023, 11:54 PM
RE: Jason Terry - by Chicagojk - 12-02-2023, 11:58 PM
RE: Game 19: Oklahoma City Thunder (12-6) vs. Dallas Mavericks (11-7) | 8:00pm CST - by DanSchwartzgan - 12-03-2023, 09:28 PM