Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game 19: Oklahoma City Thunder (12-6) vs. Dallas Mavericks (11-7) | 8:00pm CST
GWill is doing great against stronger and slower guys who like to play physical. He gave huge problems to Kawhi, for example. But, his perimeter defense against quicker guards or wings is imho a level or two worse than Luka. Everyone just blow by him. I was expecting he is way better in this regard. I am not that concerned about his shooting. First 10 games or so were unrealistic at over 50 %. Defenses are paying more attention now, he is getting less shots and looks like he is also in a slump. He is also not very convincing when trying to drive to the basket and quite a number of his mid range floater attempts were sort of comically bad. Never the less, opposing defenses will not be able to afford to leave him open. They still might be able to hide their worst defender on him, as he doesn't do much else but shoot.

Regarding Green, I am not sure either he is a starter on a contender. Not because of his passive offense which went to such extent that teams are (successfuly) hiding guys like Sabonis on him. He is very good (best on team) pushing the ball but basically invisible in the half court offense. And imho not just because he is a great guy who likes to get others involved. He is just reluctant, both as shooter as well as on his drives, rather looking to pass than finish. THJ is showing Mavs need another offensively aggresive player besides their two stars. But, he needs to be a better defender, not just offense first guy. However, it is not just his offense that is not convincing. I am not convinced at all by his point of attack defense. He has problems getting around screens and is very easily pushed out of balance. As it is now, I think his best role is an energy guy coming from the bench. Sure he is still young and can improve, but I haven't really see much of a progress.

DJJ is a much better point of attack defender than Green. Basically he lets us see, what the stereotype for a starter next to Luka and Kyrie on defense should look like. He really surprised me with his offense. He is not reluctant to shoot a three (totally contrary to his career so far) and is good in transition. Still, opposing defenses are not affraid of him. OKC had no problem doubling Luka whole game and letting others have as many wiiiiide open shots as they wanted and it worked for them for three quarters. He is a guy opposing defense will hide their worst defender on and not worry much if he gets more space. I think that would be exposed in playoffs.

All in all, I am fine with either Green or GWill as fifth starter. But, I maintain my position, that Mavs need to "change" THJ and Holmes salaries into an all NBA defense type two way wing. I don't think getting a back-up center (or even a stop-gap starter for a season or two) would drastically improve Mavs chances.
[-] The following 2 users Like omahen's post:
  • mvossman, StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
Jason Terry - by Jason Terry - 12-02-2023, 11:54 PM
RE: Jason Terry - by Chicagojk - 12-02-2023, 11:58 PM
RE: Game 19: Oklahoma City Thunder (12-6) vs. Dallas Mavericks (11-7) | 8:00pm CST - by omahen - 12-03-2023, 11:54 AM