Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FIBA Qualifying Tournament: USA loses to Germany|Gold medal between Germany+Serbia
(09-06-2023, 11:40 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: I'm not super worried about the point I'm about to make, but I'm kind of starting to wonder if he'll ever be likable again. He was FUN those first few years, and seems to get less and less likable as he gets comfortable in the league. That's maybe not the worst thing in the world, because Dirk was like the all-time coolest superstar ever and I remember wishing he had more of a killer instinct during the middle of his career. I think he could've used a BIGGER sense of entitlement, in a way. But man oh man, are we seeing the other side of that coin now. This is probably closer to what Kobe was like as a youngster. 

I just want to see Luka commit to getting back on defense this year. Obviously, that isn't something we should have to worry about at this level.

I think everyone is just being too harsh. Luka is a human being with his positives and negatives. He is not a robot. He is a basketball savant but he is also emotional. That is in his nature. If you are expecting him to change who he is, you will be dissapointed. He is who he is. He is also still very young, immature. I think he will improve with time, but I am patient. Personally, I take him for who he is. With his positives and negatives.

What can really be done, is help him. Things I have been saying for years. 

First of all, the culture. Instead of building the correct environment where everyone is fully accountable, both in Dallas and Slovenian team the reality is, that the organizational structure is dysfunctional. Just look at the main face of Dallas. Who complains most about refs? Who acts as an immature teenager and never takes accountability for his actions? Which coach started his tenure with "pass the ball to Luka"? Slovenian national basketball organisation is a very similar environment. This is not an environment that would help immature person mature, but unfortunately exactly the opposite. He is in an environment where he feels he needs to do everything and only when he does everything the result comes. But mostly even that is not enough. Person such as Luka should be surrounded by figures of outmost authority, who would be there to do their job not to just do what Luka wants. This means a famous coach, best GM with a name. Mavs did exactly the opposite.

Secondly, get him vet leader(s). Guys who have achieved things but can still play, not vets on their last legs clinging to that 15th spot on the roster. High character guys. Mavs didn't have a single guy like that the whole time Luka was in Dallas and has none on the national team. Luka achived best results with Real, where he was best player but surrounded by a bunch of experienced Spanish national team members, huge names in Spain. They were the ones setting the culture, not Luka. The coach was also a huge authority, no one would oppose him (also, Europe is not player driven).
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: FIBA Qualifying Tournament: Canada Eliminates Slovenia - by omahen - 09-06-2023, 12:08 PM
JamesConway912 - by JamesConway912 - 09-10-2023, 11:05 AM
RE: JamesConway912 - by WillE - 09-10-2023, 03:30 PM