Poll: Are you satisfied with the offseason?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
91.67%
33 91.67%
No
8.33%
3 8.33%
Total 36 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are you satisfied with the offseason (so far)
(07-22-2023, 02:32 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: I think we also have to view the first part of the season as an experiment, with lots of different lineups, both starting and bench.  And probably lots of disappointments, with combinations that don't work, rookies that make rookie mistakes, new players that struggle to find their roles, etc.

But we'll probably also catch glimpses of potential and team chemistry that swing our emotions back into irrational exhuberance.

Get your popcorn ready!

I agree with this.  I think the most unsettled part of the deal is center.  But, we had the same thing last season with the failed McGee experiment to start the season.  Who knows how the 'bullpen-approach' to the C rotation will shake out, but I like what I see throughout the rest of the roster.

Speaking of last season, when we get ready to make predictions on wins/standings for 23/24, remember that Dallas spent the first half of January as the 4th place team in the west.  Most of December was played without Green and Maxi and the back half of December was played without DFS.  On 1/2, we were 22-16 and three of the losses were the three nights Luka sat.  22-16 is a 48 win pace.  The Kings finished 3rd in the West with 48 wins.

Since that time in early January, here are the On Court/Off Court nets (82games.com) for the guys who have left:

Dinwiddie -3.7
Wood -2.3
Bertans -4.4
DFS +0.8
Reggie - 4.6

Here are the same numbers for the guys they kept:

Luka +6.3
Irving +7.5
THJ + 7.5
Green +3.8
Powell +8.6

Notice a pattern?  Maxi is the only net negative we've kept outside of a rookie.  Maxi was +1.1 and +4.6 the two seasons prior to last season.  Now, lets look at the guys we've brought in:

I bring this up today in the off-season thread because Jones Jr. was a monster by this stat last season at +6.9 (BB-Ref has him at +7.5).  GWill was a +4.6 when you consider On Court only.  His Net of - 3.3 is more about they guy he subs for (Boston's best player) than anything Williams did. Oh, and the last time Holmes got significant minutes, he was +8.2 for Sacramento (and they just fell apart any time he sat).  

I think the Jones signing adds to what I already thought was a great off season.  The guys who weren't contributing to winning are gone.  They guys who stayed were positive contributors and we brought in some more of those types.  We have surrounded Luka/Kyrie with some premium shooters, some premium defenders (who seem to fit Kidd's scheme well) and some premium rim runners. It is too bad that no player manifests all of those traits, but you can keep some combo of shooting, defending and rim running on the court at all times.

I also like that we are not dependent on Lively, OMax and Hardy for anything, but the guys ahead of them aren't so overpaid that we wouldn't use the babies if they showed something early.  The DJJ signing means we are also less dependent on Maxi's health/shot.  This team is better than the one that sat in 4th place much of January.  With health, there isn't any reason they can't be in a similar position this season.  I think it has been a really smart off-season on so many levels.
[-] The following 7 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • DallasMaverick, dirkfansince1998, ItsGoTime, KillerLeft, mvossman, Smitty, surfpuckmd
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
Jason Terry - by Jason Terry - 07-14-2023, 11:34 AM
Jason Terry - by Jason Terry - 07-16-2023, 07:32 AM
Jason Terry - by Jason Terry - 07-17-2023, 09:18 AM
RE: Jason Terry - by HoosierDaddyKid - 07-18-2023, 12:12 AM
RE: Are you satisfied with the offseason (so far) - by DanSchwartzgan - 08-11-2023, 09:21 AM