Poll: Are you satisfied with the offseason?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
91.67%
33 91.67%
No
8.33%
3 8.33%
Total 36 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are you satisfied with the offseason (so far)
(07-23-2023, 07:16 AM)hakeemfaan Wrote: What was the draft board this time? Were Lively and OMax the 12th and 24th best talent on the boards when they picked or are they drafting for need?  Teams get into trouble reaching for need in the draft. I don’t blame GMs for missing out. The draft is always a crapshoot but I do care about talent and skill in the draft. The NBA is now more than ever a skill league.  OMax actually I don’t have complaints about. Teams might regret passing on Emoni but that happens. At 12 though you better hope Lively turns out to be really good because there were better skilled guys available. Teams don’t get better in a day. I don’t expect them to. However stacking up on skill gives you a chance that you might hit on something special and even if not, that type of asset is sought after in future trades. 

Let’s even put Lively aside when it comes to evaluating this off-season as even those supporting his selection are not factoring him to contribute much. I have rooted for this team when they barely managed double digit wins. I will continue to. However when it comes to grading off-seasons I see the lack of rebounding and defense at the center spot as a huge concern and don’t see a raw rookie helping there. I see the lack of a 3 headed guard rotation as a concern. These were glaring issues even last season. So without addressing those why the rush to give this off-season high grades?  If the answer is they are not done yet, I am fine with that. Again no need to rush to give a great grade.

To me a big part of this season, assuming no other blockbuster, is to force feed Hardy. Hardaway and Green are not the answer. Exum did not inspire confidence in his first stint.  I don’t know if Hardy is the answer but he brings certain things as far as skillset and putting pressure on defenses in ways that Green and Hardaway can’t. Even if Exum has got better the team absolutely has to give Hardy minutes. I also take back my concession on being ok with Lively not getting many minutes this year. Force feed him minutes even if 8-10 mins a night. I am thinking OMax will get minutes. If the Mavs do that with Hardy, OMax and Lively, I will totally be fine with how this season goes as far as wins and losses. They can’t afford to run journeymen centers or find some retreads and hope for different results. You have Luka and Kyrie. Be bold with some other moves or rotaions and take a chance to see if some of these guys can be difference makers.

What makes this board worthwhile is seeing how each others opinions vary. You mention Hardy as if he could be a future star and say that Green is clearly not the answer.

I see it almost the exact opposite. Hardy is good and had about a month stretch of good scoring on good efficiency. But I see him as just that. A SG who can score. There are many in the league and they make a lot of money. THJ, Hield, etc.. but the two-way guys are the ones that mean more imo. Someone that can defend and score 12-15+ ppg is what I want to invest in. Hardy will never be a good defender and likely never a good facilitator or playmaker and that’s perfectly okay. But Green has the potential to do all of those things and has shown flashes as a starter last year at a very young age.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
Jason Terry - by Jason Terry - 07-14-2023, 11:34 AM
Jason Terry - by Jason Terry - 07-16-2023, 07:32 AM
Jason Terry - by Jason Terry - 07-17-2023, 09:18 AM
RE: Jason Terry - by HoosierDaddyKid - 07-18-2023, 12:12 AM
RE: Are you satisfied with the offseason (so far) - by Smitty - 07-23-2023, 09:01 PM