Poll: Are you satisfied with the offseason?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
91.67%
33 91.67%
No
8.33%
3 8.33%
Total 36 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are you satisfied with the offseason (so far)
(07-21-2023, 10:34 PM)chaparral Wrote:  
Love what they did with the draft.  Kudos to the new guy Dennis Lindsey. 

None of 'knows' how this player or that player (here or elsewhere) is going to perform.  So, the thing to evaluate isn't necessarily who we got, but how smart and clever we were in getting them.  I happen to like both players, but we simply can't know right now what they will be.  With that said, I agree....I love this draft.

I do like resigning Kyrie to under 40 mil this season.  

This was huge and seems to be underappreciated when people determine their grades.  Like the draft, the terms here are better than any of us imagined.

Right now I see the Mavs like this:

C:  Powell - Lively - Holmes - McGee
PF:  Doncic - Kleber - Prosper
SF:  Williams - Hardaway
SG:  Green - Curry/Hardy
PG:  Irving - Exum

I'm listing Luka at PF because he is our best rebounder.  Mavs have yet to address this need this offseason - as well as the past few years.   Can Grant cover other teams SF's? 

It is  probably immaterial whether we carry Luka or Williams at PF.  Williams will cover the harder of the two matchups and Luka will take the easier of the two.  Same with Green and Irving.  The beauty of what we have (even at center) is a highly switchable team D, with Josh and GWill both being outstanding shooters from the perimeter who can put the ball on the floor, finish at the rim or pass on the move.  The total games that GWill and Green have are vastly superior to the total games of Reggie and DFS.   

And one last hope, Hope Green takes the next step.

I see this "Josh needs to take a leap" stuff and I think it is flat wrong.  Josh needs to get minutes.  When he does he has always been more productive.  Last season he played 30+ minutes in 18 games.  He scored 15 points on .700+ TS%, pulled down 4.6 boards, dished 2.8 assists, hit 46% of his 3's and was massively positive +/- at +8.7.  The staffer who reportedly said the 'best thing about trading Reggie' is that Kidd can't play him any more was right.  Green will not be our problem.

OK, I lied about one last hope, I Hope the Mavs have another trade lined up for later this summer.

It seems we don't really have a preference when it comes to the position we are interested in acquiring.  There's been noise regarding a C (Capela and even Ayton at the draft), a PF (PJ), a SF who is largely an offensive player (Bojan) and a SF who is largely a defensive player (Thybulle).  It seems the team is more about getting rid of (while getting value for) THJ and McGee than they are filling any perceived hole.

C:   Holmes - Powell -          Lively -                    McGee
PF:  Doncic - Kleber -           Prosper
SF:  Williams - Hardaway
SG:  Green - Curry               Hardy
PG:  Irving -                        Exum

This is more how I see it.  Note that I've got the three kids (and unproven Exum) outside the nine man playoff rotation.  They will all get time during the regular season, but will have to prove something with that time to be serious parts of a playoff rotation.  I think it is an open question as to whether Hardy will pass Curry in terms of a playoff rotation by the time we get there (which answers the question of why is Curry here).  We are anxious for Hardy to be the star we hope he will be.  The team recognizes he's a baby and needs a real NBA player (but not necessarily a star) playing in front of him).

Maybe not day one, but I suspect Holmes will start more games than Powell when all is said and done.  Having both (and I've already said I think Maxi closes games) allows them to bring Lively along slowly (maybe at a similar pace to Hardy last year).  I'm a follower of the career of Holmes and have tried to fantasy trade for him for years.  I think he will prove to be just fine.  In fact, I'm not sure center is the place I would invest significant assets into (especially if THJ is outgoing).

To the question asked by the OP, I think there is a difference between a 'grade' and 'satisfaction'.  I grade the offseason as an A+.  Everything they did was so much better than I expected.  I love getting Lively and OMax.  Williams fits like a glove IMHO.  I do think Holmes is going to be much better than most perceive and that Powell will excel (like he always has) in a more limited role.  As mentioned, the terms of the Kyrie deal were fantastic.  I love that we got rid of Bertans and Reggie while acquiring real players and second round picks (I think the 2028 second is an underrated, yet important event).  All of that isn't free, but the 2030 pick swap (and whatever the hell we did moving around second rounders) seems a small price for what we got.  All of that is just BRILLIANT to me and we got significantly younger.   I have no issue with staying under the tax this year....A+

But, am I 'satisfied'?  No.  I'm never satisfied and it isn't helped by Stein's insistence there is more coming.  So, I'm not going to lock this answer in until I see what happens (and even if something happens, I will scheme toward the next move proving I'm still not satisfied).  The O/U at 45.5 wins would have been 4th in the West last season.  I see us as a 4-7 team if things go well (which fits the O/U).  I don't think it requires much 'hope'.  We have two Top 20 players.  The role playing starters are going to be just fine and the next 4 bench guys and the 3 super young guys behind them give us a good blend of experienced hands (Powell, Maxi, THJ, Curry) with exciting youngsters (Lively, OMax and Hardy).  I think we are better than a play-in team right now, but 'hope' there is one more move up our sleeves just like everyone else.
[-] The following 7 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • Arioch, chaparral, DallasMaverick, F Gump, KillerLeft, MFFL, Smitty
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
Jason Terry - by Jason Terry - 07-14-2023, 11:34 AM
Jason Terry - by Jason Terry - 07-16-2023, 07:32 AM
Jason Terry - by Jason Terry - 07-17-2023, 09:18 AM
RE: Jason Terry - by HoosierDaddyKid - 07-18-2023, 12:12 AM
RE: Are you satisfied with the offseason (so far) - by DanSchwartzgan - 07-22-2023, 11:45 AM