Poll: Are you satisfied with the offseason?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
91.67%
33 91.67%
No
8.33%
3 8.33%
Total 36 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are you satisfied with the offseason (so far)
(07-15-2023, 11:13 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: The one thing I didn't see from KL in his defense of Lively is his switchability. Guards don't generally even try it against him. Isn't that the sort of thing Bam is prized for? *That's* why he's no dinosaur. I'm sure it would come as a big surprise to a great many NBA fans that Bam would have been a reach in this draft because he's a low-value defensive center.

Given JG and DL's passing skills, not to mention Luka, Kai, Curry, et al., this could be a great shot-creating team this year - if only Luka learns to knock off the Beard-Helio horsecrap.

That should have been the first thing. Shutting down pathways to the rim against smaller and bigger players before it happen, was by far the standout aspects of his defensive efforts. He has great footwork.

Overall he was not very good at rebounding. Had a few contested rebounds, but 90% of his defensive rebounds fell to him uncontested at hip level and offensively it were mostly uncontested putbacks. He does not seem to have quick reaction times, reading skills or anticipation. He´s getting pushed around and jumped many times. 

If he´s going to be a good rebounder it will be of the Brook Lopez kind. Somebody else has to clean the glass. Individual numbers won´t reflect it, but team numbers might. Question is whether that is enough on a historically bad rebounding team like the current Mavs. I guess Luka will love him.  Big Grin

Don´t think he was great at shot-blocking either, once players actually got near the rim. He reacts too late and has poor timing.

The worry would be how much can you improve things that mostly rely of instincts and feel. For example word is that Zach Lavine is one of the hardest working players, but he´s still a negative defender after years in the league. Whatever it is. Sometimes it´s not a matter of desperately wanting it, but simply not being able to execute it physically/mentally.

All in all, I´d say he is still a fine pick for #10/#12, although (older) Omax looks the better pick for now. The real question hasn´t been answered yet. Will the Mavs regret not tanking properly a week earlier, securing the 9th spot, that would have enabled them to land Taylor Hendricks.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
Jason Terry - by Jason Terry - 07-14-2023, 11:34 AM
RE: Are you satisfied with the offseason (so far) - by Mavs2021 - 07-16-2023, 03:40 AM
Jason Terry - by Jason Terry - 07-16-2023, 07:32 AM
Jason Terry - by Jason Terry - 07-17-2023, 09:18 AM
RE: Jason Terry - by HoosierDaddyKid - 07-18-2023, 12:12 AM