Poll: Are you satisfied with the offseason?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
91.67%
33 91.67%
No
8.33%
3 8.33%
Total 36 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are you satisfied with the offseason (so far)
I have to say, I have to vote no under this conditions. Mavs turned #10 into two picks, traded one bad contract (Bertans) for another (Holmes), and traded Bullock with the pick swap for GW and one SRP (minus SRP swap). Signed Curry which I don't really see how he fits on team as it is. Signed Exum for vet min.

I loved the creativity Mavs showed. Something that we didn't see in the first five years of Luka era in Dallas. I liked turning 10 into 12 and 24, I loved creativity in Grant trade. However, the moves made were mostly moves that a rebuilding team would do. Which is fine, if Mavs see themselves as a rebuilding team. I am just not sure they can afford to do that, with Luka growing impatient and Kyrie getting old while being notoriusly unreliable.

Mavs are basically aiming to improve based on a bunch of hopes:
- hope that rookies will be able to contribute. Lively definitely looks like a project with a lot of potential. I think he is too raw to be able to contribute. Everything regarding Omax will rely on his ability to hit open shots. If he can do it above 35 % mark, he will be great. If not - the league is full of vet min defense first guys
- hope that GW can maintain his production and impact in extended minutes. He certainly better fits what Mavs need, since they didn't have any PF. But good version of Bullock would also be very needed on the team
- hope that Green and Hardy will make a further step forward
- hope that everyone will stay healthy, including guys like Maxi that never seem to be able to stay healthy
- hope that Exum can remain to stay healthy, still can play defense and has really learned how to shoot
- hope that Holmes can be an upgrade at starting center from being deep bench in Sacramento for two seasons.

Realistically, some (a lot?) of this hopes will not happen.

There are still way too many "offense only" guys on the roster with very questionable defense, even if not completely bad. Luka, Irving, THJ, Hardy, Curry - four of them on guard position where Green and Exum are the only hopes for guys capable to provide some defense. THJ is an odd fit for this team, totally the same as in last two seasons. Fits great on offense but it is just impossible to construct a working defense with him next to Luka and Kyrie. Center position is arguably worst in league. They lack a decent PG for games without Luka or Kyrie or both.

Despite me liking the moves they made, I was expecting more from the offseason. More urgency and at least one more credible starter. Even the one they did got, is not really a proven starter but just a hope he can be a starter.

And btw, I just don't get the "Powell will be most likely starting center" takes. We have seasons of proof that Powell is not a capable starting center (on a contender). I can't see a scenario where Mavs are a contender with Powell as a starting center. So, unless Holmes is a total lost cause, please play him. Don't repeat the Wood mistake. Play him, inflate his numbers and most importantly, increase his value. Give him a chance from day one and make him his to lose. Who cares, if Mavs lose a couple of games more than they would with Powell, if Holmes numbers will be more of an empty numbers. They are not contender in any case.
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Are you satisfied with the offseason (so far) - by omahen - 07-14-2023, 09:38 AM
Jason Terry - by Jason Terry - 07-14-2023, 11:34 AM
Jason Terry - by Jason Terry - 07-16-2023, 07:32 AM
Jason Terry - by Jason Terry - 07-17-2023, 09:18 AM
RE: Jason Terry - by HoosierDaddyKid - 07-18-2023, 12:12 AM