Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Wood You Consider Spending Over the First Apron
(06-11-2023, 06:15 PM)MarkAguirreWrathofGod Wrote: Great work Dan! Would do this deal for either THJ or Wood and 2027 outgoing. Prefer Wood to maximize assets, obviously. THJ is still a useful player and is maybe swinging back to being slightly underrated? I suspect Cleveland would want something more for Allen. What kind of protections would we envision on the 2027, if any? Are there other strong suitors for Allen out there?

Probably unprotected.  Dallas can't carry that protection to 2028 because Brooklyn has their 2029.  I know there is a theory I've seen where you could very lightly protect the pick as long as it converts to something that doesn't violate the rule.  We've seen protections that keep going for a few years and then convert to two 2nds.  I can't recall that I've ever seen something go from Top 3 protected to basically nothing (or very little).  Hard to imagine a team waiting that long and having some chance of getting nothing.  The beauty of the Dallas 2027 is like the Laker distant picks last year.  There is that chance Dallas is rebuilding by then after Luka's gone.

I designed this to be Wood and THJ.  Two reasons...I want Allen and I view Wood/THJ/2027 as an overpay.  I don't want to give them a reason to say no.  Our offseason depends on a trade like this if we are keeping #10.  It doesn't have to be Allen, but there just aren't that many Wood fits.  Second, I like Cedi in the THJ role on this team.  He's enough of a secondary creator that we don't have to have another PG besides Luka and Irving in our playoff rotation.  You aren't paying him so much that you hate bringing him off the bench or hate shelving him some if Hardy breaks out.  But, he's not a total scrub and does some driving and some creation that THJ doesn't do.  Recall also that you have Reggie, Cedi and Bertans as expiring or semi-expiring contracts for trade of to get your financial house in order starting next summer.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Wood You Consider Spending Over the First Apron - by DanSchwartzgan - 06-11-2023, 10:00 PM