Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Porzingis Postup Debate - Rick Carlisle vs TNT
I don't agree with conflating post-ups with blowing big leads. We have a thread on how the Mavs blew those leads and there are many other more compelling reasons than KP posting up for a low percentage shot as the solution. We should also remember our best player who is a top 5 player now was out during those games.

Back to the topic at hand the math is easy. You shoot 3/10 from 3 you get 9 points on pretty mediocre shooting. To beat that from 2 you have to shoot 5/10. Is KP going to shoot 50% off of post ups? I don't have the numbers right now in front of me but his percentage has been pathetic. Not to mention the spacing and movement isn't as good in an iso situation on the block. There's a reason why the Rox and Mavs and other teams are all in on 3 point shooting. You shoot okay and you still come out ahead. You shoot well and you can run the other team out of the building.

As far as late game situations go the Mavs have all kinds of execution problems aside from what offense they run. Mavs have committed bad turnovers for one late in games. As far as bail out plays we really just need Luka with the ball. That's your bail out. Whatever he does is going to lead to good things which is why the Mavs are winning a lot of games. I don't care if we shoot 3s even when we are milking a lead. A good shot is a good shot. If Mavs are getting open looks then take 3s all day long no matter what the score is.

As far as KP bail outs go I think long term him at the 3 point line with a live dribble is pretty good. He fumbles the ball too much but that will improve. He needs to pass out more when the defense collapses. I think he has tried to plow through 3 defenders too many times and ends up losing the ball. In the future you have KP or Luka with space at the 3 point line. Each have different skills but the formula is similar. Shoot if the defender doesn't come out. Pump fake and drive if it's there. Pass to a shooter if the defense collapses. This is better than a turnaround fade away 2. Not saying he can't do a couple post ups just to mix it up and to basically appease his appetite. If he gets really good at it maybe do a couple more. The fact is Rick knows how to maximize offensive efficiency and that means KP plays more like a wing on the perimeter.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Porzingis Postup Debate - Rick Carlisle vs TNT - by StepBackJay - 12-27-2019, 07:02 PM