Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Porzingis Postup Debate - Rick Carlisle vs TNT
(12-27-2019, 08:33 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: The post game certainly isn´t dead and the same is true for the midrange jumpshot. I like to use the football comparisations for this. Analytics are telling us that the average passing play generates more yards than the average run. Just like the 3-point shot generates more points than a 2-point attempt.
But there are certain situations where the run game (football) or face ups / post ups (basketball) are still important.
Best example in both cases are late game situations. Up by 3 a team does not need a 50yd pass followed by 3 emtpy possessions or a turnover. Run the ball for 3 more 1st downs and it is over.
Same situations in basketball. As long as the 3 is falling everything is fine but I think the Mavs recent late game struggles are a good example why a different approach in certain situations might be benefitial. Example...Mavs are up big vs Toronto. They try to move the ball and shoot 3s. Aren´t able to slow the game down and miss or turn the ball over. A good iso or post up player would be huge in those situations.

Up by 20 it doesn´t really matter if a team scores a 2 or 3 as long as they aren´t having empty possessions.

To sum it up. I agree with RCs general approach and like your explanation. Might add that both Barkley and Shaq completly ignore the impact of spacing.
I also think that KP had some nice drives last game. Drawing a crucial 4th foul on Aldridge. 2 kickout passes leading to open 3s. One ally-oop pass to Maxi.
He is not a post up player but compared to earlier in the season he clearly has increased the amount dribble-drives and rolls to the basket.

I love your point about empty possessions and that's where I think some of the modern coaching analysts miss the mark a bit including Coach Carlisle.  The Mavs as well as they are playing are showing a disturbing ability to lose big leads very, very quickly.  It's pretty frustrating to watch as a fan.  

They have the fire power on the bench to get high percentage inside scoring against anybody when they have large double digit leads and that type of scoring can not only drastically slow down runs but it can add up in other ways like getting the other team into penalty, 3 point plays the old fashioned way 2 + 1, getting key players into foul trouble etc.  Its one of the reasons I like both Boban and JJB as pinch hitters.  They can get high efficiency scoring for you in limited minutes.  Run stoppers and run extenders. 
All that can pay off as the game moves along in other ways that may not be as obvious as big 3 pointers are. 

Overall though, Carlisle has the point on post up play not being what it was in the days of Shaq and Barkley when great post up to inside out play ruled the day.  

I don't think its just post up either though.  Close shots, high percentage shots don't just come from post up plays.  KP rolling, cutting, ooping and rocking the rim is very exciting to see, is seen more and more and in that sense I think Carlisle and the TNT guys may not be that far apart and where they want to see the Unicorn go in terms of shot mix. 

I do like that Carlisle has given KP such a green light from 3 in general though.  I agree with him that KP has some historical talent there.  He is not shooting it as well yet as he could but signs are that he can absolutely heat up.  He has touch and extended range and that can be a game breaker against even the NBA's most elite teams.  The UNI be the UNI!  Exclamation
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Porzingis Postup Debate - Rick Carlisle vs TNT - by Dahlsim - 12-27-2019, 03:00 PM