Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Porzingis Postup Debate - Rick Carlisle vs TNT
The post game certainly isn´t dead and the same is true for the midrange jumpshot. I like to use the football comparisations for this. Analytics are telling us that the average passing play generates more yards than the average run. Just like the 3-point shot generates more points than a 2-point attempt.
But there are certain situations where the run game (football) or face ups / post ups (basketball) are still important.
Best example in both cases are late game situations. Up by 3 a team does not need a 50yd pass followed by 3 emtpy possessions or a turnover. Run the ball for 3 more 1st downs and it is over.
Same situations in basketball. As long as the 3 is falling everything is fine but I think the Mavs recent late game struggles are a good example why a different approach in certain situations might be benefitial. Example...Mavs are up big vs Toronto. They try to move the ball and shoot 3s. Aren´t able to slow the game down and miss or turn the ball over. A good iso or post up player would be huge in those situations. Up by 20 it doesn´t really matter if a team scores a 2 or 3 as long as they aren´t having empty possessions.

To sum it up. I agree with RCs general approach and like your explanation. Might add that both Barkley and Shaq completly ignore the impact of spacing.
I also think that KP had some nice drives last game. Drawing a crucial 4th foul on Aldridge. 2 kickout passes leading to open 3s. One ally-oop pass to Maxi.
He is not a post up player but compared to earlier in the season he clearly has increased the amount dribble-drives and rolls to the basket.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Porzingis Postup Debate - Rick Carlisle vs TNT - by dirkfansince1998 - 12-27-2019, 08:33 AM