Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 11: DAL (6-5) @ WAS (6-6) | 105-113 loss
(11-10-2022, 09:26 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I’ll give you LeBron, but he is an absolute freak. If that’s what you are expecting Luka to be, physically, you’re literally never going to be happy with him, I don’t think. 

Dirk, I think, is a horrible comparison because he wasn’t having to control the ball remotely this much. Night and day different, AND frankly, I disagree. I remember it being extremely noticeable that he was on a back to back. 

Sounds like I’m defending Luka’s effort these past two games, but I’m not. I just think the team looking flat TONIGHT (not last night) was almost a certainty, especially given the slow start to the season in a general emotional sense.

A smart coach would ask Dinwiddie to carry the ball up the court and do the "running" part. And get the ball to Luka in final fourth part of the court to initiate the plays and do the finesse part. Sometimes ask SD to attack directly, when initially space is available as he is good at it. If not, get the ball to Luka from SD in multitude of different plays ranging from screens to post plays. We have just a single of those plays and it is always the play we start the games with. Luka is on the weak side and uses a screen to get the ball on the top. That play works well usually, but it doesnt really surprise anyone and doesnt keep anyone guessing. We use that play from time to time during the games. 

We are doing exactly the opposite, asking Luka to carry the ball up very single time almost, and if doubled the ball ends in SD hands. I dont get the advantage of that.

To ask SD to carry the initial attack, would clearly be a way to preserve Lukas fitness, especially in these back to back game situations. He was obviously tired, especially running up the court with the ball, a guy that takes so much of the load is clearly going to be the most tired one in the back to back games.

I am definitely lacking some evolution of the x's and o's for this team, and adaptation that shows we can master tactics at the next level. Done get me wrong, I think that Kidds defensive vision is excellent and has transformed the team, but at the same time there is clear lack of creativity in expanding that core scheme. I think its rare at the moment we win games by tactics. At least that's how it appears.

If you look at Denver, this is exactly how they use Jokic. He isnt the one bringing the ball up the court. That clearly preserves his stamina. Denver finds ton of different plays to get the Jokic the ball in the final part of the court and he is not usually the one initiating the plays, yet he is the one that puts the final touch on the plays. Luka would excel even more in this role, and I think this would be great for SD as well, as his initial drive to the basket can also direct movement in the opposing defense. Also if you notice when Jokic has the ball, Denver just has so many plays by design to allow Jokic to use his passing skills to get players open. We rely on exactly the opposite, we ask Luka to dominate his defender and either score or if doubled ask him to find the open guy. All that is fine, but it really isnt tactical design or superiority, its just asking your superstart to overmatch your opponent. I would love to see tactical mastery and that we not only by talent, but also by tactcs, get players open for easy shots. I think in the end combination of those is really what can elevate a team.
[-] The following 4 users Like burekemde's post:
  • ballsrchr, BigDirk41, KillerLeft, Paul Gasol
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: GAME 11: DAL (6-4) @ WAS (5-6) | Nov 10, 6 pm | Mavs 3.0 pt Vegas favs - by burekemde - 11-11-2022, 01:19 AM