Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NEWS: Donnie Nelson sues Dallas Mavericks
So from a quick scan, here's a high-level summary of Donnie's side in the lawsuit. But definitely read it for yourself in case I missed something.

1. Donnie alleges that a Cuban assistant sexually harassed and assaulted Donnie's nephew at the 2020 All-Star game (it was in February). There are no real details of the event, other than a claim of "a wealthy and powerful executive using their power to take advantage of a vulnerable person and leverage that power to obtain sexual favors."

2. When Donnie's nephew reported it to the team, Cuban paid him to stay quiet. Donnie claims he was never told about the incident by either the team or his nephew.

3. Mark offered Donnie a 10-year, $66mm extension in August. Donnie countered with $77mm. The offer was rescinded in September. Donnie claims that Mark pulled the offer in retaliation for Donnie asking about the sexual harassment/assault incident that he only just learned about*.

4. Donnie was fired in June of 2021. He later filed file a wrongful termination charge with the EEOC.

5. Cuban offered him $52mm in January of 2022 to drop the charge and to sign an NDA.

6. Donnie refused the offer. He is now suing for an undisclosed amount of money.

There's also a ton of "evidence" that IMO comes across as petty and unrelated. Stuff about Cuban meddling in his GM decisions, a weird accusation that a stuffed bear in a noose was a racial threat, and complaints that he didn't even get a special send-off party after "24 years of loyal service". I also find the statements that the Mavs are an organization full of discrimination and sexual depravity kindof tone-deaf coming from one of the top executives in the same organization for more than two decades. But whatever. It's kitchen-sink filing of accusations, for sure. Many clearly intended to harm Cuban publicly even if they'll be tossed out by the judge as unrelated to the case.

I'm sure we'll hear more from Cuban's side of the story soon enough. 

Sigh -- and here I was just being excited that the Mavs are playing great basketball.

(*) BTW, this part of the timeline doesn't really add up to me. Donnie claims that he learned about the incident approximately 5 months after it happened. Since the All-Star game was in February, that would place it in July. That's notably before he started negotiating with Cuban on an extension. So one month after he says that he learned his nephew was assaulted by a team employee, he asked Cuban for $77mm. IMHO, the timing is important because it could potentially tip the circumstances of that contract discussion from retaliation to extortion.
[-] The following 5 users Like Tyler's post:
  • AgGiE1991, F Gump, Kammrath, KillerLeft, SleepingHero
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: NEWS: Donnie Nelson sues Dallas Mavericks - by Tyler - 03-17-2022, 04:48 PM