Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
A New Found Respect For Dwight Powell
(03-16-2022, 11:37 PM)Jommybone Wrote: So Andre Drummond takes complete advantage of Powell inside. Goes 7 of 8 from the field with 17 rebounds (8 offensive) in just 22 minutes. Dominating.

And yet his team goes -11 in his time on the court. 

So maybe “dominating” ain’t all it’s cracked up to be? Not sure a guy like Drummond could earn any burn on this team. We actually expect our centers to contribute to winning basketball.

This is what I was trying to express the other day. 

Yes, the Drummonds of the world are going to dominate the glass against the Mavs. And actually, Drummond's game tonight was the first time it bothered me in a while. I thought it came as close to affecting the outcome of the game as any "mismatch" inside has, recently. 

But...it doesn't really seem like giving up the glass is actually hurting the team that much, generally. This is an oversimplified way of stating my position, but I believe this worry stems from most of our collective viewing experience being from the 2000's. We're all still trying to recreate the 2011 team, and that's simply not how the game is played anymore. 

Being able to defend the pick and roll from the 5 position >>>>>>> being good on the glass. If you can do both, great - you're probably going to the finals. But, I feel like the Mavs made the correct choice for this season, given that they could do NEITHER with Porzingis on the floor.
[-] The following 4 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • Arioch, MFFL, michaeltex, Smitty
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: A New Found Respect For Dwight Powell - by KillerLeft - 03-16-2022, 11:46 PM