Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IZTOK DIAGNOSES DECLINE OF MAVS OFFENSE
(12-21-2021, 03:01 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Based on the evidence AT THE TIME, I do not fault Nico for those moves. 

1) No one could have predicted that RB would come to DAL and shoot 13.6% less from three (down to 27.4% from 41.0%). RB has been good on D, so no issue there. He is also a 38.4% three shooter WITH the abomination of this season. No one saw this coming. 

2) THJ shot 39.1% and 39.8% from three in DAL the two previous seasons (after getting healthy). No one could have seen him dropping off to 33.2% after the new contract. 

3) WCS has been inconsistent and unreliable at times, but last year and even this year the Mavs D is SOOO much better when he plays. It is nice to have a good defensive big who can move his feet come off the bench. I don't know what is going on with his personal reasons, but WCS wasn't a big investment and he has still performed when asked to this year and hasn't hurt the team play overall when he has been asked to step up.

Also, I would not expect Nico to do any big shakeup right when he got here. He was not familiar with the team, the players, the dynamics, the needs, the fits, etc. AND there was a big coaching change. No reason to change too much all at once. 

If this summer rolls around and the Mavs haven't turned a corner and Nico doesn't work hard to redo the roster, I will be frustrated with him. But right now I have no frustration with him. If anyone deserves our frustration it is Cuban for not moving on from Donnie YEARS ago and the players for not making their damn shots.

To be clear, I labeled this offseason an epic failure before THJ/Bullock/WCS completely shit the bed to start the year.  Its more about the opportunity cost.  We desperately needed to improve the starting unit and push a starter or two to the bench.  That did not happen.  We desperately needed a secondary playmaker to take some load off Luka.  That did not happen.  It was a poor (Mavs like) offseason that looks worse with those guys underperforming.

The problem is that was our last chance.  What do you expect Nico/Cuban to do this summer?  They are going to have to go into the tax just to keep this team as it is.  Its a total mess.

(12-21-2021, 03:08 PM)fifteenth Wrote: What's worst than the worst when the worst includes stingy owners and a roster of misses and "futures" who have no future? 

If you're a die hard Rangers fan, I am not trying to push buttons!!! I'm not hard core Rangers (I used to be), so I could be missing something, but I can't see an ounce of hope in that situation.

Did you see what happened right before the lockout?  They literally spent half a billion dollars on a couple of really good players.  They are also likely going after Kershaw and another good player or two.  The tank is over in ranger land.  There is room for hope.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • dirkfansince1998
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
Nico Would Absolutely Know This - by WildArkieBoy - 12-17-2021, 08:54 PM
RE: IZTOK DIAGNOSES DECLINE OF MAVS OFFENSE - by mvossman - 12-21-2021, 03:15 PM