Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IZTOK DIAGNOSES DECLINE OF MAVS OFFENSE
(12-21-2021, 02:42 PM)mvossman Wrote: The evidence does not concern you in the least?  We had potentially 34 mil in cap space with significant holes to fill.  Specifically we needed a secondary play maker and more defense.  What we got was THJ/Bullock/WCS.  That is an extremely underwhelming return and did not address any of our needs.  This offseason was the last shot we had with improving the team with cap space and we failed utterly.

Based on the evidence AT THE TIME, I do not fault Nico for those moves. 

1) No one could have predicted that RB would come to DAL and shoot 13.6% less from three (down to 27.4% from 41.0%). RB has been good on D, so no issue there. He is also a 38.4% three shooter WITH the abomination of this season. No one saw this coming. 

2) THJ shot 39.1% and 39.8% from three in DAL the two previous seasons (after getting healthy). No one could have seen him dropping off to 33.2% after the new contract. 

3) WCS has been inconsistent and unreliable at times, but last year and even this year the Mavs D is SOOO much better when he plays. It is nice to have a good defensive big who can move his feet come off the bench. I don't know what is going on with his personal reasons, but WCS wasn't a big investment and he has still performed when asked to this year and hasn't hurt the team play overall when he has been asked to step up.

Also, I would not expect Nico to do any big shakeup right when he got here. He was not familiar with the team, the players, the dynamics, the needs, the fits, etc. AND there was a big coaching change. No reason to change too much all at once. 

If this summer rolls around and the Mavs haven't turned a corner and Nico doesn't work hard to redo the roster, I will be frustrated with him. But right now I have no frustration with him. If anyone deserves our frustration it is Cuban for not moving on from Donnie YEARS ago and the players for not making their damn shots.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
Nico Would Absolutely Know This - by WildArkieBoy - 12-17-2021, 08:54 PM
RE: IZTOK DIAGNOSES DECLINE OF MAVS OFFENSE - by Kammrath - 12-21-2021, 03:01 PM