Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IZTOK DIAGNOSES DECLINE OF MAVS OFFENSE
(12-21-2021, 01:08 PM)F Gump Wrote: On the 1st topic, I don't understand why you insist on misunderstanding what Nico has said and why he would have said it. You are usually quick to follow and connect the obvious dots, and in this topic you don't. Is it just because you assume Cuban would not have done what he did, so can't accept that it was indeed done that way, no matter what is known? I'm reacting because I have never come close to saying Nico was/is 'making, "Look at me, I'm such a big man, I'm showing Cuban who's boss, he's not telling me what to do" kinds of statements.'

Have you forgotten the setting when Nico was hired? Cato's article had set Mavs world on fire. The nature of Cuban's management, and the idea of an organizational mess with murkiness on who could decide what, was under the microscope. So when Nico was hired, it wasn't a case where he was touting his authority to show off at all, but rather him simply answering what he was asked. Since the question of authority to make decisions was on everyone's mind, he was repeatedly asked about that.

His answer was always simple, relaxed, soft-spoken, saying he was given full authority to make all the decisions that a GM makes, would not have taken the job without getting that assurance in light of the recent history of the organization, and noting he already had a job he liked and wasn't looking to leave when Cuban came calling.

On topic 2, Nico has given us the parameters of the job. We lack insight into the exact thought process of Cuban in why he would hire such an inexperienced guy and then trust him, but my guess is that part of that trust was the belief (based on what he knew of Nico) that if Nico didn't know the right answer, he would confer and defer to the knowledge of others, until such time as he didn't need to. So I believe from day one Nico has been given full authority to make the GM decisions, but he does the prudent thing anyone smart would do, and decides with the input of those around him (from Cuban on down) in order to come to the best path possible.

I agree with you that he isn't ready to use his own thinking to make most decisions at this point. But a smart guy with no ego to please can operate well in that situation, by listening and consulting and empowering others to help.

You question Cuban's possible willingness to trust Nico. But that was the problem that Nico's hire was solving, the one where Cuban didn't trust others to be able to come to the best answer. For that reason, as well as because Nico let us know that the job came that way, I don't see any reason to question whether he has GM authority.

Notice also that Nico isn't in a rush to do something. He's taking his time. That supports the idea that the decisions are his, and he realizes it's on him to get them right.

This is really good stuff.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
Nico Would Absolutely Know This - by WildArkieBoy - 12-17-2021, 08:54 PM
RE: IZTOK DIAGNOSES DECLINE OF MAVS OFFENSE - by Kammrath - 12-21-2021, 01:11 PM