Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any pre Mavs Doncic Fans here?
I loved watching all of his videos/games the year we were tanking.  There was a lot of noise about him being the target of our tank efforts.  He did not disappoint.  He has always been entertaining!

That said, I will be the guy who admits he had doubts about Luka's abilities translating to the NBA.  I knew he had high BBIQ, but there just aren't many players of his athletic profile that become all-stars, let alone superstars.  Throw in the fact that he was (and still is) a mediocre 3pt shooter, and I didn't see it.  I figured he would play out like Nash without the shooting, but better rebounding - a great passer that struggled on D.  Maybe a less defensive JKidd. Turns out his BBIQ is truly strong enough to overcome his physical limitations.  

I would still like to see him tighten up his 3pt/turnover game (and I KNOW it drives RC bonkers!). He seems to be a solid spot up shooter, but he is doing pullup/stepback 3's a ton.  It is hard to be happy with 9 threes a game from a below average shooter.  Barnes and Wes were shooting high 30's and people wanted them burned at the stake.  However, his defense has been passable - certainly good enough to not be a target (like Trae Young will ALWAYS be).  I particularly like his ability to body people without fouling.  There have only been a couple of games this season where he was in any real foul trouble.

Where he has made the biggest improvement - and what has made him elite this year - is getting into the paint.  He is killing it down there - both scoring and passing.  He is drawing fouls at a high rate and has made improvements at the foul line.  I would like to see him continue this and work to turn some of his 3pt jacks into scoring opportunities for others on spot ups.  Or him spotting up.  Either way.  Better quality shots.  

He has thoroughly outplayed the expectations I had for him - and I am sure that even the biggest fans of his are shocked at the level he has risen to this season! Keep it coming!

Just went back and looked at last year's all-stars...  All plus athletes with a couple of exceptions. 

The centers.  Jokic and Vucevic.  I guess being tall is an athletic ability.  Haha.  But yeah - skilled centers can sometimes get away with not being so nimble.

Also, Curry and Lowry.  They aren't slow, but neither I would consider a plus athlete by nba standards.  Curry is the greatest shooter of all-time.  So, that leaves Lowry as an All-star level player that has had success without possessing plus athleticism.  I would add that he would not be making all-star appearances if he was in the WC.  

It is amazing at what Luka is able to do while not having the speed/quickness/length/springs of these other all-stars!!!  Truly remarkable.  He is winning battles with BBIQ, handles, vision, and craftiness!
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
Any pre Mavs Doncic Fans here? - by SportPsychMav - 11-21-2019, 05:49 PM
RE: Any pre Mavs Doncic Fans here? - by Magickian - 11-21-2019, 09:04 PM
RE: Any pre Mavs Doncic Fans here? - by Kammrath - 11-21-2019, 09:09 PM
RE: Any pre Mavs Doncic Fans here? - by fifteenth - 11-21-2019, 09:22 PM
RE: Any pre Mavs Doncic Fans here? - by BigDirk41 - 11-22-2019, 12:32 AM
RE: Any pre Mavs Doncic Fans here? - by omahen - 11-22-2019, 01:21 AM
RE: Any pre Mavs Doncic Fans here? - by Mavsfan12 - 11-22-2019, 03:48 AM
RE: Any pre Mavs Doncic Fans here? - by fifteenth - 11-22-2019, 06:04 PM
RE: Any pre Mavs Doncic Fans here? - by Benskix2 - 11-22-2019, 08:04 PM
RE: Any pre Mavs Doncic Fans here? - by Benskix2 - 11-22-2019, 08:37 PM