Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How much is too much for Deandre Ayton?
(10-12-2021, 10:07 AM)omahen Wrote: I think Ayton is great player but I don't think he is the missing piece for Mavs. While him and KP might work great on offense I just don't see the fit on defense. Neither can guard perimeter and that would be exposed badly in the playoffs. I would rather break the bank for legit 2-way wing or guard. 

If this would be some huge trade involving KP going out with Ayton and that legit two way wing both coming to Dallas, than I am going all in.

I think Ayton can guard the perimeter quite well actually. He's incredibly mobile for his size and has good balance. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMLHr9pH0YY&ab_channel=ValleyHoopHighlights

Look at him move his feet at 0:23 cutting off Giannis completely and forcing the travel. Giannis is one of the most mobile threats on the perimeter and Ayton just shut him down. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IGp16HM0hQ&ab_channel=XinProductions

Here's some plays of him stopping Ja Morant's perimeter drive, containing Luka off the pick, and guarding Jokic down low. He's as close to swiss army knife on defense as it gets. 

The weakest part of his defensive game is rim protection, at least according to Kevin O'Conner. KP on the other hand has always been at least above average in that area. I think the two would form quite a formidable duo. 

I see Ayton as a guy who can bring everything Powell brings to the table and then some, while also being an All-Defensive team talent. Isn't that what we've been clamoring for anyways as a top need?

(10-12-2021, 10:27 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I was thinking of posting a KP for Ayton trade when that news broke. I would then do everything I could to retain all the players from that draft!!!!!

I would also do a KP for Ayton trade if it came down to it, but the main reason the Suns would even want to get rid of Ayton is because of his max extension. KP is making almost close to that same money, albeit on lesser years.

So it doesn't really solve the problem for Sarver, and makes me think he wouldn't be eager for that type of deal. That's why I added basically the max limit of picks we could send the rest of the decade to make up for the lack of talent. 

I truly think Ayton would be a gamechanger. Him and say a bench play maker like Dragic would make me think the Mavs could win it all this year.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: How much is too much for Deandre Ayton? - by SleepingHero - 10-12-2021, 12:50 PM