Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jalen Brunson and Dorian Finney-Smith are eligible for 4-year, $55 million extensions
(10-03-2021, 09:35 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: The next question is what should Dallas do about it.  Brunson is an important piece for the current season.  But, you also don’t want to lose him for nothing.  He doesn’t necessarily have to be traded by the TDL to get value.  If the team that wants him doesn’t have cap room, there is an opportunity to make a deal in free agency.  Waiting that long is a risk, but so is doing a deal involving a PG mid season.  

In case positions of the team and player are like this, the situation should have been addressed a couple of months ago.

There is another perspective, though.

Looking from both players perspective, I have a hard time believing both Brunson and DFS would turn down max extension if they are willing to stay. I think it is risky for them to think they can get more than that on the free agency market. With Brunson of course there can be a question about role from his side. But leaving that aside we could also conclude, that max extension is not on the table at this point, because Dallas thinks they are worth less and there really is not that much hurry (same situation as THJ, for example). I think Dallas can't afford to lose any of them for nothing and I would assume their is mutual interest to remain "married". The open question is for how much. Since Dallas has bird rights, they can always offer whatever there is around on the open market. I am assuming Dallas is offering less than ful max extension at this point while guys think they are worth closer or over the max extension, especially if they have a good season. It will be much easier to pinpoint more accurate value after another season. 

I will be really dissapointed if Mavs lose another asset or two for nothing.
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Jalen Brunson and Dorian Finney-Smith are eligible for 4-year, $55 million extensions - by omahen - 10-03-2021, 10:19 AM