Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jalen Brunson and Dorian Finney-Smith are eligible for 4-year, $55 million extensions
(10-01-2021, 12:49 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: When it comes to Brunson, specifically, I feel like the whole organization believes in his talent but there might be differing viewpoints on whether or not his role here can increase. I'll speculate further and say that I bet disagreements about things like that are not uncommon in pro sports organizations. It's probably quite difficult to get everyone on the same page, especially ownership.

I think there is another layer to decisions around Brunson that I find interesting.  Not only does Dallas have to decide what Brunson, the player, is worth.  In a LT world, they also have to decide what they are willing to pay for a 12-16 minute backup PG.  It wouldn’t shock me to see Brunson break the MLE next summer.  I think the comps make a good argument for that.  It would mildly surprise me if he did it here given his limited role.  

They just simply aren’t going to pay all of their bench guys MLE money.  They already have Maxi and Bullock at that level.  Both are two position guys and near starters.  It is much more conceivable either of them might get 25-30 minutes.  I’m not sure you can say the same for Brunson.  If Brunson was 6’ 5” and could play two positions I think he’d have a better chance at MLE money here.  But, if all he is is that 12-16 minute guy, they can find that much more cheaply elsewhere.  That is why Moses is so important. He’s cost controlled for years.  Sterling, Green and Frank are fairly cheap too.  

The next question is what should Dallas do about it.  Brunson is an important piece for the current season.  But, you also don’t want to lose him for nothing.  He doesn’t necessarily have to be traded by the TDL to get value.  If the team that wants him doesn’t have cap room, there is an opportunity to make a deal in free agency.  Waiting that long is a risk, but so is doing a deal involving a PG mid season.  
[-] The following 2 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • fifteenth, ReunionMav
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Jalen Brunson and Dorian Finney-Smith are eligible for 4-year, $55 million extensions - by DanSchwartzgan - 10-03-2021, 09:35 AM