Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
COVID-19: Scrimmage games | July 23 (NBATV), 26 (NBATV), 28 (FSSW) for DAL
(05-20-2020, 08:41 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: Anyone else not want the season to start back up?

I know for myself I'm not going to consider whoever wins the title this year real champions.... Unless it's the Mavs and then I will have to do some mental gymnastics.
Im 100% with you.

Its May already. The season has been essentially over for me for a while. I'm ready for next year. Forcing the season to come back in some sort of rushed compromise with the chance of one infection shutting down the rest of the season again makes little to no sense for me.

I want basketball as much as the next guy, but to start back up mid July and restart the next season in December is radical. Makes much more sense to just call it a year and start the next season earlier, like in the beginning of October rather than the end.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(05-20-2020, 10:19 PM)SleepingHero Wrote:
(05-20-2020, 08:41 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: Anyone else not want the season to start back up?

I know for myself I'm not going to consider whoever wins the title this year real champions.... Unless it's the Mavs and then I will have to do some mental gymnastics.
Im 100% with you.

Its May already. The season has been essentially over for me for a while. I'm ready for next year. Forcing the season to come back in some sort of rushed compromise with the chance of one infection shutting down the rest of the season again makes little to no sense for me.

I want basketball as much as the next guy, but to start back up mid July and restart the next season in December is radical. Makes much more sense to just call it a year and start the next season earlier, like in the beginning of October rather than the end.
Quote:[b]Makes much more sense [/b]to just call it a year and start the next season earlier

Definitely makes much more sense but not much more cents

Giving back the Confused money, especially the TV revenue, has to be a major driving force here.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/SDinwiddie_25/status...6141908992
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
Get Up on ESPN was trying to include Dallas in a 4 team playoff play in.  Such garbage.  

You know why they want to pull Dallas into this scenario?  Zion vs Luka  

They argued it was not fair to Dallas but just told Dallas to bring their A game.  

I would play the Pelicans but they have to beat us 3 times in Dallas.  I mean if it is all about the $$$$, make Zion earn it.

On second thought, canned crowd noise is not really an advantage.  Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-IKOLKuZnA

Start at 3:36 

So now 2 segments on screwing the Mavs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BoeRnv5sVM

Start at 3:13
Like Reply
Ok, so they have the play-in for the last 2 playoff spots, NO and Mem wins. Dal lost to the lesser record team, that means Dal gets more ping pong balls than Por...right?

......................................RIGHT?????????????????

Any team can win a single elimination game at a neutral site (although Dal did have the 4th best road record in the WHOLE NBA), but this would be pretty bad considering the 11.5 game lead they built on NO. It should at least be a best of 3 round, if not best of 5. Legs shouldn't get too tired after that and you would make more sure that the better, well-rested team wins.

I mean, if regular season records mean nothing, then it should be a single elimination play-in for EVERY team! Single elimination, LAL vs GS, who doesn't want to see that with a much more healthy GS squad? You want viewership? Make that happen!
Like Reply
Looking at the standings. the Kings are tied with the Blazers and the Pelicans but ESPN just dismisses the Kings.   (no Zion or Dame imo)

They argue well anything could have happened if the season played out and the Mavericks could have had an injury or something (they did bring that up) to drop them lower in the standings.  

The thing is the Mavs were only 1.5 games from OKC and Houston.  The possibility was real for a move up if the season finished.  

I wonder what agent or group is pushing this.  I think the Zion faction is due to the fact they reached down to get the Pelicans into the "play in" but not the Kings with the exact same record.  

I would take it better if they would just be upfront and say they want to see Zion and Dame, rather than the twisted logic to say the Mavs are in the same class as the lower seeds and thus it is fair...

Heck, bring in the Kings and the Spurs.  Spurs are only .5 game behind the Blazers, Pelicans and Kings.  I would be all for getting the Spurs draft spot and a chance in the lottery if the Mavs happen to lose.
Like Reply

(Raises hand quietly) 

For me I want to play it out.  With CP age no telling how he is next year.  Or if he gets traded to NY.  Plus role players likely gone like Gallo.  So I want to see them play because no telling how far we slide next year nor how long til we get back up.  This season was already unexpected so I want to play it out might be our last dance in some time.

As for late finish the NBA is talking later starting seasons anyways so a finish in Aug just gets everyone used to summer 2021.
Like Reply
(05-22-2020, 04:13 AM)Dahlsim Wrote: Definitely makes much more sense but not much more cents

Giving back the Confused money, especially the TV revenue, has to be a major driving force here.

Automatic upvote for the killer pun.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(05-20-2020, 10:19 PM)SleepingHero Wrote:

Im 100% with you.

Well, depending on if/when an effective vaccine or treatment is developed, the same thing could happen next season as well.  It doesn't look like this virus is just going to disappear over the summer like I originally hoped it might.  If we are going to shut down a season over one infection, then we may never again see an NBA season.  I say play ball this summer.
Like Reply
I just don´t get why they haven´t simply announce that the regular season is finished, the standings are frozen and the draft process is started.

Some teams have played 67 games already, and no team with some games in hand can catch up to the Magic or Grizzlies. Even if they stretch it to 70 games, which is probably the absolute regular season limit, it´s highly unlike Washington, Portland, Sacramento or New Orleans will catch up to them. So there are no hard luck stories. For the play-off teams it hardly matters, since the games will be played on neutral ground anyway. That´s actually a very fair solution under the circumstances. I doubt most of the players outside of the play-offs picture have any interest getting back to playing for 3-5 games anyway.
Like Reply
The only reason I can think of not calling the reg season is some type of contract language where TV gets to decide.  Maybe its written if the nba calls it off they lose promised tv and if tv calls it off they pay?  

I’d like to see them play about 3 games to get warmed up then start playoffs.  The question then is do all teams play or just playoff teams?  And is everyone in playoffs or just current seeds?  Lots of questions no answers.  Maybe they want to see how practices go?
Like Reply
No results yet, but this can answer some of the questions regarding the procedure.

https://theathletic.com/1832521/2020/05/...e-in-play/
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/ZachLowe_NBA/status/...1309233159
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
[b]Season formats for consideration:[/b]
— [b]Advance directly to playoffs:[/b] (16 teams, four rounds, best-of-seven series) with postseason teams based on standings as of March 12
— [b]A “Playoffs Plus” option:[/b] Expanding the number of teams with the opportunity to play, either through holding a play-in tournament to determine the final seed(s) in playoffs, to be played by “bubble teams” or replacing the first round of the playoffs with a group stage.
[b] If “Playoffs Plus” — how many teams should return to play: [/b]18, 20, 22 or 24?
— [b]Resume regular season with all 30 teams:[/b] All teams plays same number of games.
— [b]Resume regular season with all 30 teams, plus play-in:[/b] All teams play same number of games, followed by play-in tournament for the final seed(s) and traditional playoffs.
[b] “Playoffs Plus” play-in format options: [/b]Play-in tournament featuring bubble teams for 8th seed; play-in tournament for 7th and 8th seed; or group stage that replaces first round of playoffs and all participating in groups (each team plays two games against each group opponent and top two teams from each group advances to traditional second round).

[b]Scrimmage games prior to any restart:[/b]
— 2, 3, 4, or 5

[b]Total regular season games:[/b]
— 72 or 76

[b]Playoff format:[/b]
— Traditional (East/West) or reseed all teams

[b]Latest possible date for finish:[/b]
— Labor Day, Sept. 15, Oct. 1, Oct. 15 or Nov. 1

Instead of one and done play in games, just invite more teams to a regular playoffs and reseed east and west together.  

Like Reply
I like the idea if expanding the playoffs to 20 or even 22 teams and reseeding ala March Madness.
Like Reply
(05-23-2020, 12:44 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: https://twitter.com/ZachLowe_NBA/status/...1309233159

They could make a hell of a reality TV show
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply
(05-23-2020, 03:00 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I like the idea if expanding the playoffs to 20 or even 22 teams and reseeding ala March Madness.
Anything to avoid the Clippers Smile 

If it were 20 teams, I think the Mavs would start with the cHeat.
Like Reply
(05-23-2020, 03:12 PM)Hypermav Wrote:
(05-23-2020, 03:00 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I like the idea if expanding the playoffs to 20 or even 22 teams and reseeding ala March Madness.
Anything to avoid the Clippers Smile 

If it were 20 teams, I think the Mavs would start with the cHeat.
That´s just as bad. We lost both games to them, too.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/ByTimReynolds/status...2544367617
Like Reply
My new proposal is Houston, Utah, OKC and the Mavs play each other for the right to NOT play the "play in" teams. Loser in the group joins Memphis in the one game tournament.  

(I think the Nets poor record as the 7th seed in the east is what is dragging the Mavs into this potential problem.)

Or put it another way, the Mavs get to play the Lakers in a one game playoff elimination.  They are 11 games up on the Mavs.  The Mavs are 10.5 games up on the Blazers, Kings and Pelicans.  See how Laker fans would like that...
Like Reply