Thread Rating:
  • 17 Vote(s) - 3.65 Average
MAVS NEWS: Dudley Signs with Klutch| Unlikely Dud Goes to LAL
(06-21-2024, 03:33 PM)Jmaciscool Wrote: Yeah, I was just joking that Nico's description of Dumont didn't match how we perceive Cuban (whether it's valid or not who knows).

I don't think we've seen enough of Dumont to know for sure how similar he will or won't be to Cuban yet, but so far to me there seems to be some "doing":

1. He only kept Cuban in an "advisory" role (or whatever it was) for the remainder of the season and then officially removed him from the pecking order.  Cuban seemed to keep guys around until his hand was forced to make a change.

2. He seems to value structure/roles more than Cuban - there's actual structure to the front office now, which may also be Nico as well but point #1 above seems to indicate there aren't any unclear or gray roles, and instead everyone knows exactly to whom they report and what they're supposed to be doing

3. He's not inserting himself everywhere.  It took (relatively) a while to give an interview, show up at a game, etc.  He doesn't seem to be constantly seeking the spotlight or trying to control every aspect of the team, and instead is letting the actual people whose job it is to do that do it.

Again, I'm not saying he's definitely going to be great or anything, but so far I think he seems to be doing what he should be doing and not doing what he shouldn't.  We'll see how it goes - fingers crossed he sees his main role as supplying lots of $$$ for Nico and team to continue to build a great team.

Some of these are great points, some are hopes we all share, to Gump's point. But, the emboldened bit is something objectively different from Cuban's early days, and reason to be optimistic, imho. 

Hell, just moving on from Cuban means there's a better than zero chance of things operating more professionally, which is more than we thought we could hope over the past decade.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • audiosway, Jmaciscool
Like Reply
(06-21-2024, 10:30 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: See, and I think they both have to learn how to play point guard to stay in the league. I think the days of labeling guards as one or the other are almost over, and especially with Hardy, I don’t think people realize how important having the ball in his hands is to his chances to flourish. Without him developing as an offensive initiator, he’s going to end up just like Hardaway. He may never have a PG next to his name, but he’s got to be able to play that position to stay in the NBA, I think.

This seems like an extreme take to me.  I mean if he did end up being just like Hardaway, that would not be the worst thing for a second round pick.  Given your stances on Hardaway it seems strange to equate turning into Hardaway with not being able to stay in the league.  He shoots over 40% on catch and shoot three's on high volume.  I feel like that has value even if he isn't initiating offense.  I'm not against him developing or anything, just that I don't think he is ready be out there without Luka or Kyrie on the floor.
Like Reply
(06-21-2024, 04:44 PM)mvossman Wrote: This seems like an extreme take to me.  I mean if he did end up being just like Hardaway, that would not be the worst thing for a second round pick.  Given your stances on Hardaway it seems strange to equate turning into Hardaway with not being able to stay in the league.  He shoots over 40% on catch and shoot three's on high volume.  I feel like that has value even if he isn't initiating offense.  I'm not against him developing or anything, just that I don't think he is ready be out there without Luka or Kyrie on the floor.

Fair enough on the semantics of it - I could've worded it better. 

I just don't think he (or the Mavs) believes he's a spot up shooter (which seems to be a dying breed, unless you can defend at high level). There's every indication, to my eye, that they're grooming him to play with the ball, not off-ball, and on-ball, for a guard, is what most people mean when they say "point guard."
Like Reply
How is there any evidence to suggest that Dumont is having new owner syndrome?

Brooklyn immediately went after KG/Deron/JJ. Then they immediately went after KD/Harden. Ballmer immediately went after Kawhi/PG13 later added Westbrook/Harden. Suns immediately went after CP3/KD/Beal. Houston owner immediately went after CP3/Gordon/JJ......Till like two months ago people didn´t even know what the guy looked like.

I haven´t seen anything to suggest that Dumont interfers with the work of his people. If anything him kicking Cuban to the curb before the draft/FA (after Cuban claimed to still run the asketball operations) removes all ambiguity in the chain of command. That´s something Cuban never managed to do during his whole tenure. You honestly think opposing GMs go over Nico´s head trying to talk trade with Dumont.

There was the Rosas/Nelson episode. There was the Bobby V/Nelson episode. And above them all Cuban was still doing his own GMing. You all just didn´t want to see what a mess it has been. Let´s not even get started on the business side and all the nasty stuff that went down there.
[-] The following 3 users Like Mavs2021's post:
  • BigDirk41, Jmaciscool, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(06-21-2024, 05:09 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: How is there any evidence to suggest that Dumont is having new owner syndrome?

Brooklyn immediately went after KG/Deron/JJ. Then they immediately went after KD/Harden. Ballmer immediately went after Kawhi/PG13 later added Westbrook/Harden. Suns immediately went after CP3/KD/Beal. Houston owner immediately went after CP3/Gordon/JJ......Till like two months ago people didn´t even know what the guy looked like.

I haven´t seen anything to suggest that Dumont interfers with the work of his people. If anything him kicking Cuban to the curb before the draft/FA (after Cuban claimed to still run the asketball operations) removes all ambiguity in the chain of command. That´s something Cuban never managed to do during his whole tenure.  You honestly think opposing GMs go over Nico´s head trying to talk trade with Dumont.

There was the Rosas/Nelson episode. There was the Bobby V/Nelson episode. And above them all Cuban was still doing his own GMing. You all just didn´t want to see what a mess it has been. Let´s not even get started on the business side and all the nasty stuff that went down there.

Who are you arguing with? This is kind of what everyone is saying.

P.S.: I agree completely, other than the emboldened part. We ALL saw it and complained constantly.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • audiosway
Like Reply
Not too many teams will be able to stop Kyrie but it is concerning that two of the best teams moving forward were able to really limit him. So I really hope the coaching staff really works hard this offseason on how to counter this. Mavs are going to have a really difficult time getting back to the finals or winning a title if they can’t help solve the Kyrie riddle. There may not be any easy answers but I would like to see a different plan next year against these type of teams.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • rocky164
Like Reply
I think the solution to Kyrie‘s & the team‘s offensive struggles is that we didn’t have a reliable above the break three point shooter throughout the entire postseason (outside of the guards) & also nobody who can finish a simple pick and pop play on a consistent basis. I think that’s by far the most important thing to address if you want to keep the rest of the main rotation in tact:

1) A wing / forward who can shoot the three not only from the corner but everywhere

2 ) A big who can shoot from the top of the key so you can actually play five out again

3) Another reliable ballhandler. Maybe that’s Hardy but I’m a bit more skeptical than most here in regards him

2) might be attainable via Lively at some point in the future (probably not next year though), but 1) will always be lacking if PJ and DJJ remain your starting forward combination. I’d address that this offseason if possible. I REALLY like Harris here for that. Not fancy name but he’d be a great fit as an offensive glue guy here.

For 2) Isaiah Stewart is probably a good fit here as well IF his improved three point shooting is not a fluke. DAL reportedly tried to trade for him at the TDL, maybe that’s your Kleber-replacement.

3) will most likely be adressed cheaply if at all. I hope we’ll at least add someone like Dinwiddie / Schröder for that. 

Harris for THjr & Kleber SnT

Stewart for Green

Sign Dinwiddie

That way you’d keep the youth movement & defensive identity in tact for the most part while also adding some needed fire power and skill to the halfcourt offense. I still see an avenue for Hardy to play big minutes but I’d feel much better about him if he’d have a solid PG next to him. I’d keep the THj minutes open for Hardy. That’s still a HUGE opportunity & clear path to minutes.

Irving | Dinwiddie | Exum
Doncic | Hardy
Washington | DJJ | Omax
Harris | Stewart
Lively | Gafford | Powell
[-] The following 3 users Like JamesConway912's post:
  • audiosway, KillerLeft, Lukedoncic
Like Reply
(06-22-2024, 06:20 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Not too many teams will be able to stop Kyrie but it is concerning that two of the best teams moving forward were able to really limit him.  So I really hope the coaching staff really works hard this offseason on how to counter this.  Mavs are going to have a really difficult time getting back to the finals or winning a title if they can’t help solve the Kyrie riddle.  There may not be any easy answers but I would like to see a different plan next year against these type of teams.

I don’t think he is ready yet but I do wonder in time if Lively will be able to play make in the high post.  Similar to sabonis.   lively has a ways to go but k wonder if this will help to give the ball up and run actions off of him with Kyrie and Luka.
[-] The following 4 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • audiosway, DanSchwartzgan, KillerLeft, rocky164
Like Reply
@KeithSmithNBA
A few updates (all related to adjustments from the two-day draft):
June 23: Oshae Brissett - PO deadline with BOS
June 28: Seth Curry - fully guaranteed with CHA (moved back a day)
June 29: Dante Exum - fully guaranteed with DAL (moved back a day)
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Cuban seemed like more of a Project 2025 (eliminate all departments and only let decisions be made by the owner/President, fire all disadents and replace them with friends and loyalists, and, if all else fails, deny responsibility and make others the fall guys) guy that the Adelsons/Dumont who are actually pushing for it in real life.
Like Reply
(06-22-2024, 08:13 AM)JamesConway912 Wrote: That way you’d keep the youth movement & defensive identity in tact for the most part while also adding some needed fire power and skill to the halfcourt offense. I still see an avenue for Hardy to play big minutes but I’d feel much better about him if he’d have a solid PG next to him. I’d keep the THj minutes open for Hardy. That’s still a HUGE opportunity & clear path to minutes.

Irving | Dinwiddie | Exum
Doncic | Hardy
Washington | DJJ | Omax
Harris | Stewart
Lively | Gafford | Powell

You left know way to resign DJJ.  That means you don't have a single legit POA defender on the roster.  

It seems like there is a leaning on the board to overcorrecting towards offense based on the finals, ignoring that its the defense that got us to the finals to begin with.  I'm leery of any move that sacrifices defense to a significant degree in order to improve the offense.
[-] The following 4 users Like mvossman's post:
  • audiosway, F Gump, From Dirk to Luka, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(06-22-2024, 06:20 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Not too many teams will be able to stop Kyrie but it is concerning that two of the best teams moving forward were able to really limit him.  So I really hope the coaching staff really works hard this offseason on how to counter this.  Mavs are going to have a really difficult time getting back to the finals or winning a title if they can’t help solve the Kyrie riddle.  There may not be any easy answers but I would like to see a different plan next year against these type of teams.

My take on the solution to this is to develop a source of offense that isn’t initiated by high screen and roll. Against some teams, Kyrie is going to need to be an off-ball player, exclusively. I think that’s just the way it is, and I think that as he ages the list of teams against whom that is true will probably grow. But, he will always be great with the ball in transition, and he is a tremendous catch and shoot player.
Like Reply
(06-22-2024, 09:01 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I don’t think he is ready yet but I do wonder in time if Lively will be able to play make in the high post.  Similar to sabonis.   lively has a ways to go but k wonder if this will help to give the ball up and run actions off of him with Kyrie and Luka.

I have an easier time seeing him become a reliable corner three point shooter, which would also help. 

But, if he can do what you are suggesting, and I have learned not to underestimate him, that would help even more, as it would get them into the modern era dribble handoff five out stuff.

My question is, and I promise I am not posing this to troll, do we think Kidd understands and likes that kind of offense? I would say that is just as much in play here as anything we think Lively can or can’t learn.
Like Reply
(06-22-2024, 01:43 PM)mvossman Wrote: It seems like there is a leaning on the board to overcorrecting towards offense based on the finals, ignoring that its the defense that got us to the finals to begin with.  I'm leery of any move that sacrifices defense to a significant degree in order to improve the offense.

This. All of it, but especially the bolded. 1000%.
[-] The following 3 users Like F Gump's post:
  • BigDirk41, KillerLeft, mvossman
Like Reply
(06-22-2024, 02:43 PM)F Gump Wrote: This. All of it, but especially the bolded. 1000%.

In KL's video he posted by Jason Timpf, Jason pointed out that the Mavs 4 loses were by 29, 26, 21 and 14 points.  Were those losses a lack of defense or a lack of offence?
Like Reply
(06-22-2024, 11:18 PM)chaparral Wrote: In KL's video he posted by Jason Timpf, Jason pointed out that the Mavs 4 loses were by 29, 26, 21 and 14 points.  Were those losses a lack of defense or a lack of offence?

Lack of offense, for sure. The Mavs' defense, overwhelmed as it appeared to us relative to rounds 1-3, was still able to hold Boston under their usual offensive output. This is being chalked up, nationally, to "the Celtics didn't even have a good shooting game" but I'm inclined to give the Mavs a little of that credit, personally. I think they could've been more prepared to play better, defensively, especially a few of them, individually, but it's not why they lost the series at all. 

The Boston defense SMOTHERED the Mavs' offense. Murdered it. There were points during which their ball denial was so well executed that it took half the shot clock just to get the ball into the hands of the guy who was supposed to start the action. Then, too often the action yielded no advantage, whatsoever, so what they got was way too high a dose of Luka and Kyrie going 1-on-1 against good defenders without much time on the clock. The Mavs' offensive efficiency rating for the series was 101, which is like bottom of the league bad. I think their average during the regular season was something like 118. 

BUT, that doesn't mean they can afford to overreact and go too far in the other direction. The finals humiliation for the offense was only possible because of the defensive competence they gained during the last 20 games of the season or so. 

Honestly, they need to improve on BOTH ends. That's why this is all so tough to figure out.
[-] The following 7 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • audiosway, BigDirk41, chaparral, From Dirk to Luka, HoosierDaddyKid, khaled1987, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(06-23-2024, 12:03 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Lack of offense, for sure. The Mavs' defense, overwhelmed as it appeared to us relative to rounds 1-3, was still able to hold Boston under their usual offensive output. This is being chalked up, nationally, to "the Celtics didn't even have a good shooting game" but I'm inclined to give the Mavs a little of that credit, personally. I think they could've been more prepared to play better, defensively, especially a few of them, individually, but it's not why they lost the series at all. 

The Boston defense SMOTHERED the Mavs' offense. Murdered it. There were points during which their ball denial was so well executed that it took half the shot clock just to get the ball into the hands of the guy who was supposed to start the action. Then, too often the action yielded no advantage, whatsoever, so what they got was way too high a dose of Luka and Kyrie going 1-on-1 against good defenders without much time on the clock. The Mavs' offensive efficiency rating for the series was 101, which is like bottom of the league bad. I think their average during the regular season was something like 118. 

BUT, that doesn't mean they can afford to overreact and go too far in the other direction. The finals humiliation for the offense was only possible because of the defensive competence they gained during the last 20 games of the season or so. 

Honestly, they need to improve on BOTH ends. That's why this is all so tough to figure out.

I agree. It's on both ends. The offense struggled big time. That's why I'm pushing for another bench wing defender that can hit 3s. But, also a pure shooter for the bench that can provide a spark. I would also like to see Powell replaced with a shot blocker.

I'm also excited about Nico saying that he is asking the team and office staff to come back next season 10-15% better. That internal growth would be huge for them.
Legler: "If Luka wins this year, against a healthy Celtics team, at his age, the league is in trouble."
[-] The following 2 users Like audiosway's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(06-23-2024, 12:03 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: Lack of offense, for sure. The Mavs' defense, overwhelmed as it appeared to us relative to rounds 1-3, was still able to hold Boston under their usual offensive output. This is being chalked up, nationally, to "the Celtics didn't even have a good shooting game" but I'm inclined to give the Mavs a little of that credit, personally. I think they could've been more prepared to play better, defensively, especially a few of them, individually, but it's not why they lost the series at all. 

Just want to say, I really appreciate your contributions to the board. Your basketball observations are consistently astute. Gold star post.
[-] The following 6 users Like Scott41theMavs's post:
  • BigDirk41, chaparral, From Dirk to Luka, Jmaciscool, KillerLeft, michaeltex
Like Reply
(06-23-2024, 02:34 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Just want to say, I really appreciate your contributions to the board. Your basketball observations are consistently astute. Gold star post.

Thanks, man! I'm just grateful there's a community of cool, smart people, like yourself, who love basketball and the Mavs as much as I do. Otherwise, I'd have to have all these conversations with my dog, which would be pretty sad. He really doesn't get basketball.
[-] The following 3 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • BigDirk41, chaparral, From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
This is a pretty interesting list, right here:

https://x.com/CrumpledJumper/status/1805011828852019670
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply