Thread Rating:
  • 17 Vote(s) - 3.65 Average
MAVS NEWS: Dudley Signs with Klutch| Unlikely Dud Goes to LAL
(06-20-2024, 11:38 PM)mvossman Wrote: While I agree with all of this, I think another thing that would make a difference is if he got a little more help during the regular season.  Next season's team should be a lot better than the pre TDL team, so hopefully we wont spend most of the season fighting to avoid the play in.  Another thing that would help is a legit backup point guard.  It doesn't have to be an 18 mil 6th man type, just somebody that can run the offense when necessary (particularly when one of Luka or Kyrie are out).  Something like Monte Morris for the BAE would make a big difference on his season long wear and tear.

I don't disagree, and it's possible a guy like that will be a target. But, I also feel like it's possible they'll double down on the Exum experiment (maybe with a little more consistency in year two) and/or open up a consistent role for Hardy. And, if they opt to go that way, I'll be open minded about it. Both had moments that lead me to believe they're up to it, and if one or both can become actual playoff rotation players the final few steps of building this team get much easier.
[-] The following 4 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • Arioch, F Gump, Jmaciscool, Reunion Mav
Like Reply
(06-20-2024, 03:05 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I normally hate talking head shows like this, but I feel like this clip is worth watching, once you get past the mind-nunbingly stupid Chris Canty portion. 

Everyone involved in the conversation seems to "get it," especially Udonis Haslem, who is able to (in my opinion) boil the criticism of Luka down to what's fair and based in reality. There is a TREMENDOUS amount of respect for Luka here, and even much benefit of the doubt that he will improve in the areas being discussed, but he points out (rightly, imo) that while immature frustrations with the officials and lack of defensive effort are problems that can and should be discussed, they are symptoms. The disease is conditioning. Luka must learn to compete against his opponents during the off-season. It's presented here as an obvious, matter-of-fact "this is something many young players have to learn" sort of way, and I think it's right on the money. Good watch, imo. I sure hope Jason Kidd, Kyrie, Luka's Father, etc, are all trying to help him to understand this, but the conclusion here (and one that I agree with) is that the best teacher might be the experience of getting dog-walked in the NBA finals. 

https://youtu.be/Y6T6yLVjHWU?si=T2nQ1lvLsr7IvsrF

I really like that ESPN hired Udonis Haslem. He's a breath of fresh air on there. He's very knowledgeable as well as witty. Beats listening to Perk's southern drawl and Screamin A all the time.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HoosierDaddyKid's post:
  • BoredAssistant
Like Reply
(06-21-2024, 12:15 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: I don't disagree, and it's possible a guy like that will be a target. But, I also feel like it's possible they'll double down on the Exum experiment (maybe with a little more consistency in year two) and/or open up a consistent role for Hardy. And, if they opt to go that way, I'll be open minded about it. Both had moments that lead me to believe they're up to it, and if one or both can become actual playoff rotation players the final few steps of building this team get much easier.

I like Exum and Hardy, but I think both are much better off playing the shooting guard role and letting someone else run the offense.  I think having a third option to run the offense will put both of those guys in better places to succeed when we are missing one of Luka or Kyrie.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • Mavs2021
Like Reply
https://x.com/grantafseth/status/1804167...77051?s=61&t=-aAylloVlVRI2-DRvoajoA

Probably the smart way to go. Be opportunistic. Look for upgrades but Mavs don't have a lot of clear was to upgrade their wing starting spots now.

So,
resign DJJ without giving up one of their prime assets.
Hope PJ can move from a 32/33 three point shooter to a 37/38 shooter in our offense and more familarity
Hope Jaden earns a role and is consistent in that role. Get him a lot of reps to succeed and fail.
Strong summer from OMax and hope he is ready when he gets the call. I think we will see him out of the rotation to start the season, but he needs to be ready when he is given the shot.
Fringe upgrades. It would be great to find another DJJ. I view 5th guard and a PF who has some scoring ability as my targets.
edit- refill the two way spots. Dallas should be ultra aggressive in targeting these guys. They have a good team and limited draft picks. I think they will have at least two openings.
[-] The following 4 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • BoredAssistant, dirkfansince1998, From Dirk to Luka, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(06-21-2024, 09:53 AM)mvossman Wrote: I like Exum and Hardy, but I think both are much better off playing the shooting guard role and letting someone else run the offense.  I think having a third option to run the offense will put both of those guys in better places to succeed when we are missing one of Luka or Kyrie.

See, and I think they both have to learn how to play point guard to stay in the league. I think the days of labeling guards as one or the other are almost over, and especially with Hardy, I don’t think people realize how important having the ball in his hands is to his chances to flourish. Without him developing as an offensive initiator, he’s going to end up just like Hardaway. He may never have a PG next to his name, but he’s got to be able to play that position to stay in the NBA, I think.

Either way, when you watch how the Mavericks have been using him, it is clear that Hardy is going to be doing the same things that Luka and Kyrie do when he is on the court. It’s a pick and roll basketball team, and it is super, super clear that they view him as a ball-handler, not just a floor-spacer. Call him whatever position you want, but I agree with them, because his perimeter and mid-range iso game is what was super developed for his age when they got him. He just needs to learn to get off of the ball a little bit earlier sometimes, and not drive the ball into the paint against a crowd. 

With Exum, sure, I can agree with you there, because he could conceivably play a role like Green’s on just about any team, only I think he’s already pretty good as a point guard. He just needs to learn how to pull the trigger, not only when he’s open and the ball finds him, but some sort of pull up jumper or running floater would change his life.

In fact, I would say that between those two players, the Mavericks have both polar extremes of what is possible with the point guard position covered. It kind of seems like a race to the portion between them that neither is quite comfortable with yet.

But, my overall pushback with those screaming for more ball-handling, which I want to be clear and say is never a bad thing, is that I think its a miss-diagnosis what is wrong with the offense here. Adding more initiators to run an offensive system that is predictable, antiquated and lacks enough floor spacing isn’t going to fix what aisled them in the NBA finals. I get that part of the argument is just to take wear and tear off of Luka and Kyrie during the regular season, and I am all for that. But, I would rather them focus on the actual hole in the top 7-8 rotation first, especially since resources and flexibility aren’t the team’s strong suits at the moment. 

A guy who can play defense at a high-level WITH Luka/Kyrie on the floor (meaning he can’t be too small) AND hit 3’s is a must-get this summer. I will worry about the third point guard after that, and I’m pretty skeptical there is going to be someone available for what the Mavericks have to offer at that point who makes me not want to give Hardy a try for 15-18 minutes handling the ball.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • Chicagojk, MarkAguirreWrathofGod
Like Reply
(06-21-2024, 10:13 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: https://x.com/grantafseth/status/1804167...77051?s=61&t=-aAylloVlVRI2-DRvoajoA

Probably the smart way to go.  Be opportunistic.  Look for upgrades but Mavs don't have a lot of clear was to upgrade their wing starting spots now.

So,
resign DJJ without giving up one of their prime assets.
Hope PJ can move from a 32/33 three point shooter to a 37/38 shooter in our offense and more familarity
Hope Jaden earns a role and is consistent in that role.  Get him a lot of reps to succeed and fail.
Strong summer from OMax and hope he is ready when he gets the call.  I think we will see him out of the rotation to start the season, but he needs to be ready when he is given the shot.
Fringe upgrades.  It would be great to find another DJJ.  I view 5th guard and a PF who has some scoring ability as my targets.
edit- refill the two way spots.  Dallas should be ultra aggressive in targeting these guys.  They have  a good team and limited draft picks.    I think they will have at least two openings.

If the Mavs’ big move is to bring DJJ back, I’ll be fine with it. He and PJ would both have to improve their shooting, but that is not impossible. Continuity is something this team hasn’t had much of recently, and I think it would help, especially the kind of continuity that comes from having a good team to begin with.

I would love for O-Max to be in the rotation on day one, myself. Not sure he will be, but I am officially boiling over with anticipation for that, and if he can make the kind of impact I hope, that would be a big add right there.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
Let me add this about the Hardy/backup PG/6th man conversation:

If Hardy is not that guy, or at least ready to try to become that guy in an actual game situations at this point, he needs to be viewed as an asset and moved along to a different team. On this team, he’s got to have the ball in his hands to be anything at all, so the longer we go without that happening, the less value he’s going to have. I really think this is a put up or shut up year for him, and for the Mavericks’ plans for him.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • Jmaciscool
Like Reply
(06-21-2024, 10:30 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: See, and I think they both have to learn how to play point guard to stay in the league. I think the days of labeling guards as one or the other are almost over, and especially with Hardy, I don’t think people realize how important having the ball in his hands is to his chances to flourish. Without him developing as an offensive initiator, he’s going to end up just like Hardaway. He may never have a PG next to his name, but he’s got to be able to play that position to stay in the NBA, I think.

Either way, when you watch how the Mavericks have been using him, it is clear that Hardy is going to be doing the same things that Luka and Kyrie do when he is on the court. It’s a pick and roll basketball team, and it is super, super clear that they view him as a ball-handler, not just a floor-spacer. Call him whatever position you want, but I agree with them, because his perimeter and mid-range iso game is what was super developed for his age when they got him. He just needs to learn to get off of the ball, a little bit earlier sometimes, and not drive the ball into the paint against a crowd. 

With Exum, sure, I can agree with you there, because he could conceivably play a role like Green’s on just about any team, only I think he’s already pretty good as a point guard. He just needs to learn how to pull the trigger, not only when he’s open and the ball finds him, but some sort of pull up jumper or running floater would change his life.

In fact, I would say that between those two players, the Mavericks have both polar extremes of what is possible with the point guard position covered. It kind of seems like a race to the portion between them that neither is quite comfortable with yet.

But, my overall pushback with those screaming for more ball-handling, which I want to be clear and say is never a bad thing, is that I think its a miss-diagnosis what is wrong with the offense here. Adding more initiators to run an offensive system that is predictable, antiquated and lacks enough floor spacing isn’t going to fix what aisled them in the NBA finals. I get that part of the argument is just to take wear and tear off of Luka and Kyrie during the regular season, and I am all for that. But, I would rather them focus on the actual hole in the top 7-8 rotation first, especially since resources and flexibility aren’t the team’s strong suits at the moment. 

A guy who can play defense at a high-level WITH Luka/Kyrie on the floor (meaning he can’t be too small) AND hit 3’s is a must-get this summer. I will worry about the third point guard after that, and I’m pretty skeptical there is going to be someone available for what the Mavericks have to offer at that point who makes me not want to give Hardy a try for 15-18 minutes handling the ball.

Hardy needs to get better handling the ball.  I thought his decision making improved, but his instinct if he is crowded is to try to attack.  This is when he gets into trouble.    All during his life playing basketball if someone got in his face, his instinct is to attack.   He got away with this his whole life until the last few years in the NBA.   Improved ball handling may mean the difference of 10's of millions of dollars for him.   It is just one of many things he needs to improve on.

I actually like Exum as the backup ball handler...playing off Kyrie or Luka.   Injury is the concern.   It is one of the reason I want a fifth guard who can run an offense.   I expect LUka and Kyrie will miss time.   If Exum is also out, we saw what our offense looked like with no guards.   It was ugly!   It is also the reason why the signed a G-league guard at mid year.  I think a veteran minimum guy would be fine here.
[-] The following 3 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, KillerLeft, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(06-21-2024, 10:42 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: If the Mavs’ big move is to bring DJJ back, I’ll be fine with it. He and PJ would both have to improve their shooting, but that is not impossible. Continuity is something this team hasn’t had much of recently, and I think it would help, especially the kind of continuity that comes from having a good team to begin with.

I would love for O-Max to be in the rotation on day one, myself. Not sure he will be, but I am officially boiling over with anticipation for that, and if he can make the kind of impact I hope, that would be a big add right there.

I think if Nico even was looking to make a big move, this was the right answer in the press conference.

I just think we are going to be a little limited this summer.   It may be an offseason to look for internal growth and development add a few fringe pieces and keep our chips warm.    Eventually they need to upgrade the roster.   I just don't think it happens this summer.  I would also like to get a better look how the team and youngsters respond after the offseason.   

One thing I will be doing this summer.  I will try to determine if we would be able to beat any of these trade offers made if we had not made the PJ and Gafford trades.   I am guessing for most of them we would have had trouble competing.

Edit- one more thought. I was checking around the Trailblazers boards yesterday seeing how they responded to KOC saying Grant would look great in Dallas. Some of the comments were funny saying Dallas future first round draft picks will probably almost be like second rounders. That is a change from prior discussions.
[-] The following 2 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, KillerLeft
Like Reply
@MikeACurtis2
Nico Harrison on Adelson/Dumont's willingness to spend: "I don't think money's going to be an object. It's about bringing in the right people. We want to win. We have to be smart about it."
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 5 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • BigDirk41, F Gump, KillerLeft, mvossman, Reunion Mav
Like Reply
(06-21-2024, 10:45 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Hardy needs to get better handling the ball.  I thought his decision making improved, but his instinct if he is crowded is to try to attack.  This is when he gets into trouble.    All during his life playing basketball if someone got in his face, his instinct is to attack.   He got away with this his whole life until the last few years in the NBA.   Improved ball handling may mean the difference of 10's of millions of dollars for him.   It is just one of many things he needs to improve on.

Totally agree with this. But, I don’t think it’s ball-handling (the physical skill of controlling the ball in a variety of situations), I think it’s decision making (knowing how to avoid the strengths of the defense and instead find and exploit its weaknesses). And, I think he’s closer than he might seem, given that many of the recent stretches we’ve seen have come suddenly, and in extremely high leverage situations.

One thing I think people are getting hung up on are our definitions of these positions. People are asking for a “sixth man.” People are asking for a backup point guard. To me, those will probably end up being the same guy, because in this offense, a perimeter player is going to have the ball in his hands a lot. Even if they go to more 5-out, which I think they should, it will STILL be pick and roll, and not some GSW dribble-handoff motion offense. It will just be more spread pick and roll.

For me, it’s just super obvious that because Hardy is only unlocked when he has the ball, and in fact, probably only PLAYABLE when he has the ball, he MUST live up to the responsibilities of that role in order to survive. People who don’t think he can do that or will ever be able to do that but still want to keep him confuse me. I don’t see any other way for him to ever play.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • ballsrchr, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(06-21-2024, 10:51 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: @MikeACurtis2
Nico Harrison on Adelson/Dumont's willingness to spend: "I don't think money's going to be an object. It's about bringing in the right people. We want to win. We have to be smart about it."

Sure sign Cheapan has left the building. Maybe they even fix the roof. Big Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like Mavs2021's post:
  • KillerLeft, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
@sixfivelando
Nico Harrison on the dynamic of basketball ops between him and new owner Patrick Dumont: “He’s not emotional, he’s more like strategic. He’s not going to be in the weeds. We’re going to be fine, we’re going to have a great relationship. We already do, I see it working very well.”

Interesting Nico makes it a point to say Dumont/Adelsons are not "emotional"
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 6 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • BigDirk41, From Dirk to Luka, Jmaciscool, KillerLeft, Mavs2021, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
big summer for Jaden

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osTCuk26lGI
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(06-21-2024, 11:27 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: @sixfivelando
Nico Harrison on the dynamic of basketball ops between him and new owner Patrick Dumont: “He’s not emotional, he’s more like strategic. He’s not going to be in the weeds. We’re going to be fine, we’re going to have a great relationship. We already do, I see it working very well.”

Interesting Nico makes it a point to say Dumont/Adelsons are not "emotional"

Tell us that Dumont is not Cuban without saying "Dumont is not Cuban"
[-] The following 3 users Like Jmaciscool's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, KillerLeft, MarkAguirreWrathofGod
Like Reply
(06-21-2024, 11:44 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: big summer for Jaden

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osTCuk26lGI

Some of those clips are from actual deep playoff games. The kid is just oozing with talent, and it's the kind of talent today's NBA covets. If he can cut down on the young guy mistakes, even just a little, I think he's ready for a rotation spot right now. 

Hardy, Green, Washington, Luka, Lively, Exum and even Gafford and DJJ are all young players who are continuing to grow, with O-Max hopefully about to join that mix. I think it's crucial that the Mavs don't get bored with that this summer and try to compete with the teams who have been hoarding assets for a while. If they can improve from within, and for maybe the first time in 15 years, that's possible, they can get better AND increase the size of their asset pile. 

Not saying they shouldn't make a good deal if it's there - just that they don't have to desperately find one like we thought last summer or the couple of previous ones.
[-] The following 9 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • Arioch, ballsrchr, From Dirk to Luka, Jmaciscool, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, michaeltex, mvossman, Scott41theMavs, Smitty
Like Reply
(06-21-2024, 10:30 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: See, and I think they both have to learn how to play point guard to stay in the league. I think the days of labeling guards as one or the other are almost over, and especially with Hardy, I don’t think people realize how important having the ball in his hands is to his chances to flourish. Without him developing as an offensive initiator, he’s going to end up just like Hardaway. He may never have a PG next to his name, but he’s got to be able to play that position to stay in the NBA, I think.

Either way, when you watch how the Mavericks have been using him, it is clear that Hardy is going to be doing the same things that Luka and Kyrie do when he is on the court. It’s a pick and roll basketball team, and it is super, super clear that they view him as a ball-handler, not just a floor-spacer. Call him whatever position you want, but I agree with them, because his perimeter and mid-range iso game is what was super developed for his age when they got him. He just needs to learn to get off of the ball a little bit earlier sometimes, and not drive the ball into the paint against a crowd. 

I almost completely agree with the above.

We already have the ball handler/guard positions potentially covered

With the right coaching Hardy can/will end up something like Kyrie.  We certainly don't need him to be another THJ.  We don't need THJ to be THJ...

Exum can shoot.  He needs to pull the trigger more often.  The pull up jumper and floater would indeed give him more offense to work with.  But...Exum already is a good true point guard who will excel if/when the team plays at a faster pace.  The Mavs beat the Celtics by playing an up tempo game.  I've watched a lot of video on Exum...and he wants to push the pace.

If you're saying a big 3 & D guy.  Yes...we need that...
Like Reply
(06-21-2024, 11:47 AM)Jmaciscool Wrote: Tell us that Dumont is not Cuban without saying "Dumont is not Cuban"

Don't be fooled. Unfortunately, this is EXACTLY the stuff Cuban would say. So far, Dumont is indeed Cuban.

If there's a difference, we will see it in the doing, not the saying.
Like Reply
(06-21-2024, 03:04 PM)F Gump Wrote: Don't be fooled. Unfortunately, this is EXACTLY the stuff Cuban would say. So far, Dumont is indeed Cuban.

If there's a difference, we will see it in the doing, not the saying.

Yeah, I was just joking that Nico's description of Dumont didn't match how we perceive Cuban (whether it's valid or not who knows).

I don't think we've seen enough of Dumont to know for sure how similar he will or won't be to Cuban yet, but so far to me there seems to be some "doing":

1. He only kept Cuban in an "advisory" role (or whatever it was) for the remainder of the season and then officially removed him from the pecking order.  Cuban seemed to keep guys around until his hand was forced to make a change.

2. He seems to value structure/roles more than Cuban - there's actual structure to the front office now, which may also be Nico as well but point #1 above seems to indicate there aren't any unclear or gray roles, and instead everyone knows exactly to whom they report and what they're supposed to be doing

3. He's not inserting himself everywhere.  It took (relatively) a while to give an interview, show up at a game, etc.  He doesn't seem to be constantly seeking the spotlight or trying to control every aspect of the team, and instead is letting the actual people whose job it is to do that do it.

Again, I'm not saying he's definitely going to be great or anything, but so far I think he seems to be doing what he should be doing and not doing what he shouldn't.  We'll see how it goes - fingers crossed he sees his main role as supplying lots of $$$ for Nico and team to continue to build a great team.
[-] The following 6 users Like Jmaciscool's post:
  • BigDirk41, F Gump, From Dirk to Luka, KillerLeft, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, RGP1981
Like Reply
When I think back to some of the dumb sh*t Cuban let happen, it's a wonder the franchise has done as well as it has.

Remember the comic book presentation to Dwight trying to convince him to sign here?
Remember being too busy shooting his TV show to be available for opening FA negotiations?
Remember not matching Nash?
Remember not having DAJ in hand during FA signing time and driving around Houston looking for him?
Remember not drafting Giannis?
Remember having dinner with Donnie and Finley as FA opened to an explosive few hours of signings?
Remember giving away the bag to Matthews when DAJ didn't sign?
Remember his expertise that told him dry powder was worth the most in the new CBA?
Remember gutting the 2011 team before the 2012 season?

I just hope the sale of majority ownership doesn't add to the list.
[-] The following 7 users Like michaeltex's post:
  • audiosway, BigDirk41, F Gump, From Dirk to Luka, KillerLeft, Scott41theMavs, SleepingHero
Like Reply