Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2024 Playoffs- 4th Round: Boston Celtics - Dallas Mavericks
(06-17-2024, 11:49 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: The issue with THJ has nothing to do with whether he's that guy who missed everything in game 3 or the guy who hit everything in game 4. Rather, it's that he's the only guy on roster who doesn't have to ability to play defense with the intensity which the Gafford/PJ trades brought to this franchise, and which has been their winning bread-and-butter ever since. I just don't know that the Mavs can afford to play 5 on 4 on defense in terms of their philosophy for any meaningful minutes in the finals, even if THJ becomes Steph on offense.

I've just never seen evidence of this being the case, myself. It gets said over and over and over, and sure, I've seen Hardaway have some bad moments on defense, but not any worse than some other mainstays in the rotation. Actually, if he's locked in (admittedly, an "if") I've noticed he can be quite good on defense. In fact, he had a couple of very nice defensive games in these playoffs (I think it was the OKC series, but these playoffs are so long I can't remember). 

He's certainly not a difference maker on defense, so he has to be a plus on offense for him to make sense, but the group think around here that pretends he has never had a good defensive game is so tiresome. "playing 5 on 4 on defense" is hyperbole, defined, and frankly, I doubt he'd even be the worst Mavs defender in the game, should he play. 

Not to suggest I think it's an obvious choice to play him, because I'm honestly not sure I would, myself. He has been pretty bad (overall) for quite a stretch now.
Like Reply
(06-17-2024, 12:17 PM)Winter Wrote: I think Exum sees minutes for sure, but that doesn't preclude Hardaway from seeing minutes. The downside of Hardway hitting those 3's was that they were transition buckets in garbage time for the most part. I doubt there's any duplication of that against their starting five.

Exum will 100% get his first half stretch. It's just that as recently as Game 3, Kidd wasn't sure who should get priority between Exum, Hardaway and Hardy. There's room for all three to PLAY, but part of what has been wrong prior to Game 4 is that Kidd has been trying to play 11 guys...in the NBA Finals. But, if I'm being honest, that's because none of the three, prior to Exum in Game 4, has given him much reason to trust them. I'd say Hardy in the Minnesota series was the closest, but he's obviously not up to speed in this one, so far, so if I'm Kidd I have him eliminated. 

In Game 3, I think Exum was showing signs of arriving, and I thought Kidd made a grave error not giving him more burn in that one. It smacked of him not adjusting from his pre-ordained game plan rotation, which isn't a good look, at least to me. 

If Exum comes in aggressively again and is making a difference, sure! You go to that well until it stops working. All I'm saying is that if it's NOT working, I'd rather him adjust (in game) and try something else than stick to the plan (whatever it is) and go down without a fight.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • MarkAguirreWrathofGod
Like Reply
(06-17-2024, 12:17 PM)Winter Wrote: Still, the one thing that seemed to happen in game 5 was that Luka and Exum both pushed the ball down the court in a hurry... hoping for a bucket before the Celtics were set. They need to keep that up, not just for someone like Thj who thrives more in transition, but I thought the entire team really moved well to gain an advantage. There are more opportunities for lobs and easy baskets.

Totally agree with this, and it can't be said enough: The biggest difference in game 4 came from LUKA. He was playing HARD, and not just by pushing the ball (which I agree, was huge) but also defensively. This is contagious on defense, and the faster pace allows more players to touch the ball and feel like they're in the rhythm of the game. This cannot be overstated as a positive. 

I honestly don't think the rotation matters nearly as much as which Luka they're going to get, but I do agree that Exum continuing that effort when Luka is off the floor can be a huge positive. It's just that without the Luka part, it won't matter a bit.
Like Reply
I'm not sure THJ going 4-5 against the BOS B/C team in the 4th quarter pickup game increases my trust in him for important minutes in future games. He been a microwave (sorry, Vinnie) off the bench for a few years, but has not shown anything this year, especially post-injury.

My biggest beef is THJ taking quick transition 3s. Makes can incite the crowd and fire up teammates, but those misses usually go the other way and end up with DAL frustratingly trying to scramble on defense to stop a break opportunity for the opponents. There have been a hell of a lot more misses than makes over the last four months. IMO, DAL doesn't need that kind of chaos defensively if they are going to beak BOS.
[-] The following 1 user Likes michaeltex's post:
  • Winter
Like Reply
(06-17-2024, 01:14 PM)michaeltex Wrote: I'm not sure THJ going 4-5 against the BOS B/C team in the 4th quarter pickup game increases my trust in him for important minutes in future games. He been a microwave (sorry, Vinnie) off the bench for a few years, but has not shown anything this year, especially post-injury.

Definitely agree that overreacting to the garbage time buckets would be silly. On the other hand, just watching the ball go in might be helpful to him, psychologically. 

I do NOT agree with the emboldened statement. I think prior to his slump, which began just before the trade deadline, if I recall, he was having a GREAT season off the bench. I specifically remember because he had never acclimated well to a bench role before, despite it being tried several times by both Carlisle and Kidd. It was working well this year, and at one point he was squarely in the 6MOTY conversation. 

Something changed, and I'm not sure what. I don't know if he got in his head about being pushed down the pecking order even more, or if he was hoping to be traded out of here at the deadline, or if he and someone important on the team don't get along, or what, but there's something. I would say there's a 100% chance he's not here next year, because both he (contract year) and the Mavs (not even playing him, at this point) will want that outcome, but I'm not as convinced as some that giving him some burn tonight to see if his head is up to it would be the worst thing in the world. It might end up being a collosal blunder, and I acknowledge that, but there's a chance he makes the difference. At the very, very least, he's going to hold a defender at the perimeter. On THIS team, desperately trying to create space, that has to be tempting for the coaching staff.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • Jmaciscool
Like Reply
I stand corrected. His stats weren't much changed from the last two seasons. Shows you how observation vs measurements can differ.

Year Team GP GS MPG FG% 3P% FT% RPG APG SPG BPG PPG
2021–22 Dallas 42 20 29.6 .394 .336 .757 3.7 2.2 .9 .1 14.2
2022–23 Dallas 71 45 30.3 .401 .385 .770 3.5 1.8 .7 .2 14.4
2023–24 Dallas 79 12 26.8 .402 .353 .852 3.2 1.8 .5 .1 14.4

You make good points, but I'm guessing, until THJ proves them wrong, BOS is rank him pretty low on the defensive priorities list.
Like Reply
(06-17-2024, 01:39 PM)michaeltex Wrote: You make good points, but I'm guessing, until THJ proves them wrong, BOS is rank him pretty low on the defensive priorities list.

Depends what you mean by that, I suppose. Even Followil and Dameris talked the other day about how Hardaway is one of the only (off-ball) players Dallas has that opposing defenders have to honor. Even if he's 0 for his last 50 attempts, he's still going to be thought of as more dangerous as a shooter than DJJ, Exum, or even Green. It's just because the respect for his quick release, variety of footwork solutions to get shots off, etc, carry more weight for the pros than they do for fans. 

I always find myself oddly sticking up for Hardaway around here, and it's not like I want to do that - I'm just as ready for him to be gone as the next guy, especially now that he's clearly making more money than his role should allow. But, what he's good at, he's (usually) really good at. It's true that the outside world isn't as attuned to the specifics of just how bad this latest slump has been as we, the everyday Mavs fans, and it has been BRUTAL. 

All I'm saying is that IF Kidd gives him another shot (no earthly clue if he will or not) I believe I'll have some inkling of why he feels it's in the team's best interest to do so.
Like Reply
I get your logic.

Surprisingly, his stats this season were comparable to the past 2 seasons, even with the end-of-season slump. So it supports your position that THJ was making a nice contribution earlier.

Maybe seeing the ball go in last game will help his confidence, if Kidd sends him in.
Like Reply
Did anyone think THj was going to get this many minutes in game 4 and 5? I think it's a foregone conclusion that Kidd is going to give Hardaway minutes in this upcoming game. For whatever reason, Kidd either thinks that (1) he badly needs an offensive threat in the rotation, or (2) he just feels really sorry watching him play his last game on the bench without seeing a single minute.

Let's hope it's #1.
Like Reply
(06-17-2024, 01:46 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Depends what you mean by that, I suppose. Even Followil and Dameris talked the other day about how Hardaway is one of the only (off-ball) players Dallas has that opposing defenders have to honor. Even if he's 0 for his last 50 attempts, he's still going to be thought of as more dangerous as a shooter than DJJ, Exum, or even Green. It's just because the respect for his quick release, variety of footwork solutions to get shots off, etc, carry more weight for the pros than they do for fans. 

I always find myself oddly sticking up for Hardaway around here, and it's not like I want to do that - I'm just as ready for him to be gone as the next guy, especially now that he's clearly making more money than his role should allow. But, what he's good at, he's (usually) really good at. It's true that the outside world isn't as attuned to the specifics of just how bad this latest slump has been as we, the everyday Mavs fans, and it has been BRUTAL. 

All I'm saying is that IF Kidd gives him another shot (no earthly clue if he will or not) I believe I'll have some inkling of why he feels it's in the team's best interest to do so.

Oh, he's getting another chance to see if he can get on one. I have no doubt about that. I'd venture to say he'll come off the bench before Hardy.
Like Reply