Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2024 Playoffs- 4th Round: Boston Celtics - Dallas Mavericks
(06-11-2024, 01:36 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Too many big words

https://x.com/grantafseth/status/1800596...88620?s=46&t=iwQP5yZoJF3Ulzfb9MH7Cg

I have no idea what that means, but it sounds bad.
Like Reply
(06-11-2024, 01:45 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Justin Ramos (@NEPlnsider)
BREAKING: Kristaps Porzingis is feared to have re aggravated his calf in a non media access portion of today’s practice.

The expectation is that he is out for the remainder of the NBA Finals. A shocking blow to the Boston Celtics and their hopes at a title.

I never wish injury on anyone, but this could be a series changing moment. Now we just have to find a way to deal with Horford at the 5. I truly hope KP is ok. He seems like a great person and had a really good year.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BigDirk41's post:
  • Ghost of Podkolzin
Like Reply
[Image: 1800594936838095128_0.jpg?ex=6669e801&is...eight=1514]
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(06-11-2024, 01:46 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: I have no idea what that means, but it sounds bad.

Its a very significant rare injury. Like very rare. Here are some images that show exactly what he could have possibly torn:

The tweet says he tore his medial (meaning relating to the middle/center) retinaculum. In general, retinaculum are bands that keep your tendons in place so they aren't moving about. They are everywhere around your body. The terms they've used to describe this injury is a bit vague, as they don't tell us which retinaculum he tore, but they do tell us which tendon he tore, we can figure out the general area. The one I believe KP tore is below his calf muscle, near his ankle. Here is a picture:

[Image: Lower-leg-muscles-1024x610.png]

This image shows the posterior tibilalis muscle and the surrounding retinaculum. The tendon for the tibialis posterior runs all the way down. You can see the retinaculum all over this image, in bright white. Here is a better view of exactly what he dislocated:
[Image: side-inside-view-of-bones-of-lower-leg-a...tendon-and]

[Image: 1200px-Structures_within_the_tarsal_tunn...xt.svg.png]

This image I think highlights all the variables of exactly what KP injured. He could have torn his Flexor retinaculum near the center, this allowed his posterior tibial tendon to become dislodged. This is pretty painful, and given the location,highly advisable to sit. His ankles are the basis for all of his weight and movement. The fact he doesn't have any stability there means he is at risk for an even nastier injury. 

He didn't tear his actual tendon, which is a good thing. That would 100% require surgery. Depending on the severity of the tear in the retinaculum he may still need surgery though.  There aren't enough details to describe exactly the severity but there is a good chance he's done for the series. 

Classic this is not medical advice so don't take it as such and consult your doctor.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 8 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • BigDirk41, BoredAssistant, DallasMaverick, DanSchwartzgan, HoosierDaddyKidd, Knutsen, Lukedoncic, michaeltex
Like Reply
(06-11-2024, 02:07 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Its a very significant rare injury. Like very rare. Here are some images that show exactly what he could have possibly torn:

The tweet says he tore his medial (meaning relating to the middle/center) retinaculum. In general, retinaculum are bands that keep your tendons in place so they aren't moving about. They are everywhere around your body. The terms they've used to describe this injury is a bit vague, as they don't tell us which retinaculum he tore, but they do tell us which tendon he tore, we can figure out the general area. The one I believe KP tore is below his calf muscle, near his ankle. Here is a picture:

[Image: Lower-leg-muscles-1024x610.png]

This image shows the posterior tibilalis muscle and the surrounding retinaculum. The tendon for the tibialis posterior runs all the way down. You can see the retinaculum all over this image, in bright white. Here is a better view of exactly what he dislocated:
[Image: side-inside-view-of-bones-of-lower-leg-a...tendon-and]

[Image: 1200px-Structures_within_the_tarsal_tunn...xt.svg.png]

This image I think highlights all the variables of exactly what KP injured. He could have torn his Flexor retinaculum near the center, this allowed his posterior tibial tendon to become dislodged. This is pretty painful, and given the location,highly advisable to sit. His ankles are the basis for all of his weight and movement. The fact he doesn't have any stability there means he is at risk for an even nastier injury. 

He didn't tear his actual tendon, which is a good thing. That would 100% require surgery. Depending on the severity of the tear in the retinaculum he may still need surgery though.  There aren't enough details to describe exactly the severity but there is a good chance he's done for the series. 

Classic this is not medical advice so don't take it as such and consult your doctor.

Damn doctor. Thanks for all the information. I wasn't expecting that at all..lol.
  • HoosierDaddyKidd
Like Reply
A little out of the box with this idea but I’d start Lively tomorrow night. Especially if KP is out. Serves 2 purposes. Give a boost to Lively’s confidence (the Mavs need him to be a positive in this series). Plus he matches up better with Horford starting. Also, it allows Gafford to play more traditional Center on D vs guarding 5-out, with the Kornet matchup off the bench.

Also, I would reduce DJJ’s minutes and give more to Exum. It feels like Jones Jr. has sort of run out of gas and Exum is looking more and more playable.
[-] The following 2 users Like Smitty's post:
  • BigDirk41, MarkAguirreWrathofGod
Like Reply
(06-11-2024, 02:10 PM)Smitty Wrote: A little out of the box with this idea but I’d start Lively tomorrow night. Especially if KP is out. Serves 2 purposes. Give a boost to Lively’s confidence (the Mavs need him to be a positive in this series). Plus he matches up better with Horford starting. Also, it allows Gafford to play more traditional Center on D vs guarding 5-out, with the Kornet matchup off the bench.

Also, I would reduce DJJ’s minutes and give more to Exum. It feels like Jones Jr. has sort of run out of gas and Exum is looking more and more playable.

I'd be wary making such a change to be honest. I think Gafford's physicality has been one of the lone bright spots to start the game. 

You don't think Lively's matchup with Kornet is better than Gafford vs. Kornet?
Like Reply
Adrian Wojnarowski (@wojespn)
As Boston’s Kristaps Porzingis told reporters, he’s determined and expects to continue to try and play with this tendon injury in the Finals. For now, there’s no indication he’ll be ruled out and not permitted to try in Game 3, sources said.
Like Reply
I haven't been a fan of the Mavs' approach on either end of the court through two games.

Offensively, they have seemed totally surprised by Boston's determination to take away the 1-5 screen and roll, and I think Dallas has played right into their hands by not even attempting to make that work. Once Luka forced more defensive attention in Game 2 (that's a good sign, but think about what it took from Luka to get there), they were able to free up Lively 1-2 times in the paint, but it seems like every time that works, Boston coach calls an immediate timeout to fix the miscommunication (I had almost forgotten coaches could do that, lol). The problem with "just go win, Luka and Ky" is that against a team like this, they BOTH have to have at least A- games to score enough points. I'm pretty disappointed that Daniel Gafford post ups seem to be the best think Kidd has had with which to answer this crisis. I know the "Kleber at center" topic is divisive around here, but there were times late when his defender wouldn't come off of him to help, and Luka was able to take advantage. The late play against Horford comes to mind, and there were other examples, too. 

Anyway, if this is how they're going to attack, Luka MUST stop passing out of desperation. If he's in trouble, a bad SHOT is better than a bad PASS, at least against this defense with this attack style. Dallas SHOULD have an advantage on the offensive glass, so Luka needs to resign himself to the idea that he needs to just get the ball on the rim. Maybe he draws a foul. Maybe they get an offensive rebound. More possible good outcomes than throwing it directly to the other team, I think. 

Kyrie is creating some good looks. He picked a horrible time to start missing them, but I'm sure the fact that he and Luka are finally having to work on defense has a lot to do with that. Hopefully, the shotmaking gets better at home. 

Defensively, Luka is the target almost every time. I...THINK that when you see someone blow by him effortlessly (this has been happening to Lively a lot, too) that it's kinda-sorta part of the plan. I THINK the plan is to prevent the three (from the ball-handler) and make sure they send them towards back-line help, only...I think that's a pretty terrible plan. Boston UNDERSTANDS how to move the ball, and they can ALL shoot. Dallas rotates well, sometimes, but it's too much to ask them to do that for 48 minutes, imho. I wonder if playing off the ball, just a little more, with the idea of Tatum or Brown taking 1-2 dribble pull-ups or even stepbacks might not play more into the Mavs' favor than this current strategy. In other words, what happens if/when the Mavs simply start focusing on keeping the ball IN FRONT OF THEM? Maybe they just can't, and that's why Kidd is playing this way, not sure. 

I have not seen a series in which a few more shots dropping or a lose ball here or there might've changed things, so far. Boston looks like the far more prepared, deeper, better coached team to me. This Porzingis thing could potentially change the series, but I don't know if it will be enough.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • Lukedoncic, SleepingHero
Like Reply
I personally don't think Maxi should play. He literally can't score right now and we can't afford to play 4v5 against the talent of Boston. It's unfair to Luka.
  • Ghost of Podkolzin
Like Reply
(06-11-2024, 03:03 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: I personally don't think Maxi should play. He literally can't score right now and we can't afford to play 4v5 against the talent of Boston. It's unfair to Luka.

Well, all I'm saying is that it doesn't seem like the Boston defenders agree. Based on what I saw late in that game, they were maybe a little too worried about Kleber's shooting.
Like Reply
(06-11-2024, 03:04 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Well, all I'm saying is that it doesn't seem like the Boston defenders agree. Based on what I saw late in that game, they were maybe a little too worried about Kleber's shooting.

He's averaging 19 mpg with 1ppg, 1 rebound per game, and .5 assists on 1-5 shooting including 0-2 from 3. I'm sure Boston wants him to keep playing.
  • Lukedoncic
Like Reply
Crazy how Lively has become the biggest weakness on the team. He was -15, Gafford was 0, and Kleber was +1.

His offensive actions being taken away - that's obviously a huge part of it. My guess is that the Mavs were hoping he could be switchable and hold up, and that's why they've switched almost every screen he's been involved with, but that hasn't really gone very well. Again, the blowbys have been so easy it's tough for me not to assume they're conceding them on purpose. Either way, I haven't been a fan of asking the defense to sprint for 18 of the 24 second shot clock, and it's alarming how often these possessions are ending with a Mavs center closing out to the corner late and out of control. Not only can Boston move the ball, but they seem to understand exactly how Dallas' defensive principles work, and they don't stop moving it until they get to the man to whom the centers have to rotate. It's kind of the worst nightmare for a traditional big team.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • Lukedoncic
Like Reply
(06-11-2024, 03:10 PM)BigDirk41 Wrote: He's averaging 19 mpg with 1ppg, 1 rebound per game, and .5 assists on 1-5 shooting including 0-2 from 3. I'm sure Boston wants him to keep playing.

If I were a Boston fan and had only watched the Mavs during this series, I'd be praying for more LIVELY.
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
(06-11-2024, 03:11 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: If I were a Boston fan and had only watched the Mavs during this series, I'd be praying for more LIVELY.

Lmao I can't disagree there. I hope the rookie bounces back. I didn't say we had better options in my defense..lol
Like Reply
If the Mavs continue to lose the Lively minutes so badly, the series is over. They can't just stop playing him, because him being a huge positive is HOW they made it this far. So, to a much lesser extent, but just as an example, not playing Lively would be like not playing Luka or Kyrie.

But, it's undeniable that he has been terrible in this series. I don't think it's all his fault - I think he's a rookie who has perfected 2-3 things (so far) and all of those things have finally been taken away from him in this series.
Like Reply
It would be nice for Green to catch a clue at some point, too. -10 in 13 minutes!!!
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • BigDirk41, RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
PJ has been low-key pretty great in this series. I just wish he'd start cashing some 3's, ffs.
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
(06-11-2024, 02:37 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I'd be wary making such a change to be honest. I think Gafford's physicality has been one of the lone bright spots to start the game. 

You don't think Lively's matchup with Kornet is better than Gafford vs. Kornet?

It’s more about trying to get Lively going really. He has been the 3rd most impactful player in the playoffs. If the Mavs have any chance of winning, he needs to get back to being that guy. Starting him is a way of trying to get him there mentally. I think he matches up better against Horford and that both can defend just fine when Kornet is out there. Yes, it has a chance of backfiring for both bigs but down 0-2 in the finals is a good time to try something and hope it has a positive impact.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Smitty's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
(06-11-2024, 03:24 PM)Smitty Wrote: It’s more about trying to get Lively going really. He has been the 3rd most impactful player in the playoffs. If the Mavs have any chance of winning, he needs to get back to being that guy. Starting him is a way of trying to get him there mentally. I think he matches up better against Horford and that both can defend just fine when Kornet is out there. Yes, it has a chance of backfiring for both bigs but down 0-2 in the finals is a good time to try something and hope it has a positive impact.

I'm not sure whether this would help or not, but Lively is absolutely the guy who needs to get going. The Gafford minutes are already going 10x better than I thought they would. Not good, but not terrible, either. The Mavs got this far BECAUSE of Lively, so if he's going to swing completely from huge positive to damn near unplayable, I just don't know where the team goes from there. 

The bright side is that this kind of failure, should it continue, is an AMAZING experience for a 20-yo rookie to absorb and use to grow. He was so great and integral to the Mavs' go-to strategies on both sides of the ball that it took getting to the NBA FINALS for a team to force him out of those comfort zones.
Like Reply