Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2024 Playoffs- 4th Round: Boston Celtics - Dallas Mavericks
(06-10-2024, 06:03 PM)Knutsen Wrote: Bad thing is, even going 1-1 at home would make us see them again in game 5, ready to knock us out and win the title at home.

Yeah Mavs need to win both at home.  But need to take care of game 3 first.

I just really want to see how Boston takes an upper cut and feels some pressure.  They may very well answer the bell.  Although I have a feeling with the team and fans bravado there is an ounce of doubt there.  That can be pretty heavy if the mavs can put some pressure on them.  So far Boston had had noting to worry about.
Like Reply
I am quite confident that Mavs will come out guns blazing in Game 3 and will win it quite comfortably. KP will also be hobbled from his latest injury.

The real toss up game will be Game 4 - Mavs will win it in a close one, probably on a game winner.

Boston will have all the pressure in Game 5, Kyrie overcomes his demons. Mavs win.

Mavs close the series in 6.

Mavs are 2024 NBA Champions!
[-] The following 2 users Like BolsDamols's post:
  • audiosway, LukaMVP
Like Reply
(06-10-2024, 06:04 PM)SwisherPrice Wrote: The Celtics don't have many weaknesses to exploit...but there are some lesser of evils that you have to settle for and try attacking. You already saw a little bit of it in the 2nd half with Gafford getting the ball more inside on mismatches where he has been able to score so that's a good start..especially when it's vs. Derrick White. Next, when Pritchard is in the game, you have to find a way to get Luka or PJ matched up on him inside and let them go to work. There are way too many possessions where Pritchard is guarding a bigger player in the corner and it doesn't matter because the ball isn't going there anyway.

Next, Kidd has to give EVERYONE the greenlight to run and force fastbreak opportunities. You cannot allow the pace to slow and let the Celtics set their defense. The Pacers had some success, even without Haliburton, because a lot of their shot opportunities came within the first 10 seconds of the shot clock. On a missed shot, take the ball and go...don't wait for Luka or Kyrie.

Green, Hardy, and Exum should all be encouraged to attack in transition, even if they get blocked or miss. I'd rather have them missing those shots than bricking the open threes in a half court offense that the Celtics want them to take. Horford is old and KP is made of glass...make them run and use some energy.

The Mavs offense is just way too predictable right now and they are playing right into the Celtics' strategy.

I agree.  I would like to see Dallas get more paint touches.  Especially when KP is out of the game.   I thought Gafford had some nice moves.  I would like to see PJ get some looks against smaller defenders. Luka too.

You don’t want to overdue it.  But I think Dallas can be agressive here more.
Like Reply
I think we're all overthinking this a little too much. At the end of the day, it's a make or miss league. Game 2 was winnable despite Luka's turnovers. Mavs just gotta make their open shots.
[-] The following 4 users Like donzingis38's post:
  • audiosway, DallasMaverick, michaeltex, SleepingHero
Like Reply
MAVS in 3...

You guys jinxed the team.
Like Reply
[Image: 1800321366937501990_0.jpg?ex=6668ebad&is...height=676]
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
It seems like in past series, even if Luka, Kyrie or others were blown by that we had a big waiting in the lane to contest the shot.

That big is not there right now, so any penetration is just blowing up our defense. Plus, Boston is finishing a high percentage of shots in the lane.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKidd
Like Reply
(06-11-2024, 10:00 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: It seems like in past series, even if Luka, Kyrie or others were blown by that we had a big waiting in the lane to contest the shot.   

That big is not there right now, so any penetration is just blowing up our defense.  Plus, Boston is finishing a high percentage of shots in the lane.

On the flip side, the minutes where we use our size on the offensive end, the Mavs have looked the best. Gafford especially has been eating Tatum alive inside. 

Mavs have to keep that up imo.

Heck even put Luka in the post at this point and try and force a double. That could open up the corner 3s.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/4032...gic-tricks

Luka and Kyrie's magic tricks.
Like Reply
(06-11-2024, 11:09 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: On the flip side, the minutes where we use our size on the offensive end, the Mavs have looked the best. Gafford especially has been eating Tatum alive inside. 

Heck even put Luka in the post at this point and try and force a double. That could open up the corner 3s.

That's the problem, Boston double teams less than any team in the league. Will they try to double him more? It's anyone's guess. When you double Luka, he's at his best finding people for open looks. They'd rather concede shots to Luka, cover the corner 3, and live with the results because they have good wing defenders. I won't be shocked if Luka has at least one 50-point game for the rest of the series because they want to limit Jones, PJ, and the rest of the bench from getting clean looks.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HoosierDaddyKidd's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/27...Since-2019

C's vs Mavs game 2 most watched finals since 2019
Like Reply
(06-11-2024, 12:03 PM)HoosierDaddyKidd Wrote: https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/27...Since-2019

C's vs Mavs game 2 most watched finals since 2019

Seems like the NBA would have tons of motivation to see this series go to 7, wouldn't ya think?

...not that the refs would favor any particular team, of course.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DallasMaverick's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
We're definitely seeing Kidd's huge deficiency on strategizing and scheming. He simply is unable to adjust during a game. He is limited, very limited, in scheming before the game. We so need an offensive coordinator.
Like Reply
(06-11-2024, 12:20 PM)Ghost of Podkolzin Wrote: We're definitely seeing Kidd's huge deficiency on strategizing and scheming.  He simply is unable to adjust during a game.  He is limited, very limited, in scheming before the game.  We so need an offensive coordinator.

I've felt that Kidd has been one of the most malleable coaches in the entire playoffs up to this point. I don't think Boston is doing anything groundbreaking either. There is just a stark talent differential between Boston's starting 5 and the Mavs. 

Luka+Kyrie can matchup with Tatum+Brown. But PJ/DJJ/Gafford cannot really match up with White+Holiday+Porzingis. 

And truthfully there isn't a team in the league that can. 

But talent differential doesn't mean the Mavs can't win. Luka is good enough alone to keep them in the game. Kyrie just has to find some rhythm and PJ+DJJ need to hit a smidge more shots. Its there. The Mavs can still win.
[-] The following 5 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • DallasMaverick, Ghost of Podkolzin, HoosierDaddyKidd, michaeltex, Smitty
Like Reply
(06-11-2024, 11:09 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: On the flip side, the minutes where we use our size on the offensive end, the Mavs have looked the best. Gafford especially has been eating Tatum alive inside. 

I would be ok going after Boston inside.  Especially when KP is not in.  Brown, White and Tatum are long, but I would be fine picking my opportunities and going at them.

When KP is in the game, I am in favor of getting switches with Luka on him and attacking him.  Make him prove he can guard in space.
Like Reply
Too many big words

https://x.com/grantafseth/status/1800596...88620?s=46&t=iwQP5yZoJF3Ulzfb9MH7Cg
Like Reply
(06-11-2024, 12:56 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I would be ok going after Boston inside.  Especially when KP is not in.  Brown, White and Tatum are long, but I would be fine picking my opportunities and going at them.

When KP is in the game, I am in favor of getting switches with Luka on him and attacking him.  Make him prove he can guard in space.

Luka is going to be switched on by different Celtics. It won't be just KP all the time. They want to show him different looks on D
Like Reply
(06-11-2024, 01:36 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Too many big words

https://x.com/grantafseth/status/1800596...88620?s=46&t=iwQP5yZoJF3Ulzfb9MH7Cg

Sounds kinda serious. He definitely won't be 100%.  They better capitalize on that.
Like Reply
Tim MacMahon (@espn_macmahon)
Luka Doncic: “I feel good. I don’t want to give any more details, but I feel good.”
Like Reply
Justin Ramos (@NEPlnsider)
BREAKING: Kristaps Porzingis is feared to have re aggravated his calf in a non media access portion of today’s practice.

The expectation is that he is out for the remainder of the NBA Finals. A shocking blow to the Boston Celtics and their hopes at a title.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply