Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2024 Playoffs- 4th Round: Boston Celtics - Dallas Mavericks
(06-08-2024, 04:28 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Kidd and brown have a long history with Cal.

Not a fan of this though.  I am in the camp of not saying anything at these press conferences.  Like Kidd usually does.  Not a fan of these games.  Don’t think Boston would take the bait anyway.  Just give the boring answers.

Agreed. Sometimes reverse psychology doesn't work. There's no need to poke the bear.
Like Reply
@GrantAfseth
Dallas Mavericks' Luka Doncic has an additional injury listed and was downgraded to questionable for Game 2 of the NBA Finals.

New: Thoracic contusion
Also: Right knee sprain
Also: Left ankle soreness

Doncic was not on the court during the open portion of shootaround.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
@TheSteinLine
It would be stunning to see anything other than Dončić playing in Boston tonight, because he is a play-under-any-circumstances player, but an official injury report change this close to gametime from probable to questionable is obviously notable.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(06-08-2024, 05:34 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Agreed. Sometimes reverse psychology doesn't work. There's no need to poke the bear.

Agree. What would be the goal? Lighting the fire under Tatum to try to prove he is the best while thinking this will be a worse result for Celtics? Perhaps. Or will Tatum come in super motivated with guns blazing and hitting every shot while playing all nba level defense?
Like Reply
(06-09-2024, 05:46 PM)omahen Wrote: Agree. What would be the goal? Lighting the fire under Tatum to try to prove he is the best while thinking this will be a worse result for Celtics? Perhaps. Or will Tatum come in super motivated with guns blazing and hitting every shot while playing all nba level defense?

Boston outlets say Boston is at its worst when the offense stagnates and Tatum is launching contested mid range 2's.

Perhaps trying to make him force shots to prove a point is what's needed to make Boston get a bit off their rhythm.
Like Reply
Let's hope Laura Miller has moved to Boston and has started planning Celtic parade routes.
Like Reply
So where do we stand after the first two games?

We need Kyrie to be the Kyrie of round 1 and 3 at home, with two great and efficient games giving him the mental strength to then succeed at Boston.

We need Luka to combine his game two efficiency from the field with efficiency from the line and with handling the ball.

We probably need Porzingis to be out or be clearly hobbled for all of the remaining games, in order to have a chance to win four of five.

We need two or three of our younger players to get rid of the Finals jitters at home and arrive in that stage, preferably Lively and Green.

We maybe even need another Celtics injury to one of their starters, in order to reduce the talent gap, so that the margin of error gets thinner for Boston, especially at the defensive end - that I of course don‘t wish anyone.

The odds are against us, but to have any realistic chance left game three is do or die. Let’s go Mavs!
Like Reply
(06-10-2024, 04:12 AM)Knutsen Wrote: So where do we stand after the first two games?

We need Kyrie to be the Kyrie of round 1 and 3 at home, with two great and efficient games giving him the mental strength to then succeed at Boston.

We need Luka to combine his game two efficiency from the field with efficiency from the line and with handling the ball.

We probably need Porzingis to be out or be clearly hobbled for all of the remaining games, in order to have a chance to win four of five.

We need two or three of our younger players to get rid of the Finals jitters at home and arrive in that stage, preferably Lively and Green.

We maybe even need another Celtics injury to one of their starters, in order to reduce the talent gap, so that the margin of error gets thinner for Boston, especially at the defensive end - that I of course don‘t win any one.

The odds are against us, but to have any realistic chance left game three is do or die. Let’s go Mavs!

Wishing or hoping for injuries is never a good omen. It can work both ways, then what? Mavs just need to play better, period.
Like Reply
(06-10-2024, 05:49 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Wishing or hoping for injuries is never a good omen. It can work both ways, then what?  Mavs just need to play better, period.

I think he was trying to say he didn't want any Celtics injuries-  there was just a typo in there.

His point is valid.  Boston is better than us.  I think there are two ways we could still win the series.  The first would be superefficient 3-point shooting for 4 of the next 5 games.  The other would be a few injuries to key Celtics.  

That doesn't mean anyone is wishing for injuries.  

It's just analysis.  Teams win all the time because of injuries to the opposition.  The Clippers might have beaten us if Kawhi had been healthy and available.  

Ultimately, Boston is just a really great team.  They are impressive to watch.  They are just methodical and smart both on offense and defense.  We are outclassed.  If we don't win the series, I at least hope we learn a lot from the experience.
Like Reply
(06-10-2024, 07:14 AM)surfpuckmd Wrote: I think he was trying to say he didn't want any Celtics injuries-  there was just a typo in there.

His point is valid.  Boston is better than us.  I think there are two ways we could still win the series.  The first would be superefficient 3-point shooting for 4 of the next 5 games.  The other would be a few injuries to key Celtics.  

It's just analysis.  Teams win all the time because of injuries to the opposition.  The Clippers might have beaten us if Kawhi had been healthy and available.  

Ultimately, Boston is just a really great team.  They are impressive to watch.  They are just methodical and smart both on offense and defense.  We are outclassed.  If we don't win the series, I at least hope we learn a lot from the experience.

Thanks for clearing things up, it was a stupid typo - I meant „that I of course don‘t WISH anyone“.
Like Reply
(06-10-2024, 07:14 AM)surfpuckmd Wrote: I think he was trying to say he didn't want any Celtics injuries-  there was just a typo in there.

Fair enough. I just don't think the Mavs have the shooting to be super efficient as you say for the next four games, if it gets that far. DJJ and PJ haven't been lights out from 3 this series as they were previously. Kidd has been reluctant to play THJ and Hardy. And the fact that Boston has taken away the lob threat that Lively, DJJ, and Gafford had in the previous series is problematic. I really don't know what they can do to get back in the series that Boston doesn't have a counter for.
Like Reply
Hopefully Dallas' role players play better at home. Also, hopefully the Celtics role players play worse on the road. Boston has been a good road team all year though.

Before we start looking forward, hopefully we can win game 3 and make this a series.

I do think we may need to look at Hardaway. Hardaway has been bad for months and something appears off since the trade deadline. He is probably not the answer. Although, if we find a way to bring this back to Boston either at 2-2 or 1-3, I think we are going to try something different. I just don't think we have the offensive pieces for this series. I would love for it to be Jaden, but I don't think he is quite ready (despite playing well when called upon mostly). Green and Maxi are playing hard but they just haven't made an impact. I would like to see more of Exum. But if we go back to Boston, I think we need that option who will provide a threat to score. The Hardaway train is probably best, but it is something to consider if we go back to Bsoton.
Like Reply
This Boston team is really good and provides such a matchup for Dallas.

I would love to make them feel some pressure. Getting it to 2-2 would be amazing. This fanbase is just looking for things to doubt. I think the team would feel it. Dallas just haven't been able to put any pressure on them. Game 3 is the next one and should be 100% of the focus. I would just love to see them doubt themselves. No one has this playoff series.
Like Reply
trust the Corgi...even if it has been wrong each round.

https://x.com/DallasTexasTV/status/1800204698483601848
Like Reply
The Celtics are a much better shooting team and rely on the much more than post trade Dallas team. I just wish someone would say this when they say that the Celtics aren't even shooting good.

https://x.com/iztok_franko/status/1800210549382476212
Like Reply
(06-10-2024, 11:59 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: The Celtics are a much better shooting team and rely on the much more than post trade Dallas team.  I just wish someone would say this when they say that the Celtics aren't even shooting good.

https://x.com/iztok_franko/status/1800210549382476212

https://x.com/iztok_franko/status/1800226622425202827

Bottom line: both teams are playing comparable defense on 3-pointers.

Boston is making them at a lower rate than normal.
Dallas is making them at a much lower rate than normal.

Just need to hit some of those open shots.
Like Reply
(06-10-2024, 04:12 AM)Knutsen Wrote: So where do we stand after the first two games?

We are 1 good Kyrie game away from it being tied 1-1.

Mavs played better. Made some mistakes game 2. 

Both games they've held this Boston offense to below expected point totals. 

As Kyrie said:

https://x.com/hoopmixonly/status/1800036...95511?s=46&t=y_BEmcB_Mo2oi0--HU-lEA

@HoopMixOnly
Kyrie Irving was letting the Celtics fans know the Mavs will be back for Game 5

If we protect our home, we'll see them back for game 5.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • Knutsen
Like Reply
(06-10-2024, 02:21 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: https://x.com/iztok_franko/status/1800226622425202827

Bottom line: both teams are playing comparable defense on 3-pointers.

Boston is making them at a lower rate than normal.
Dallas is making them at a much lower rate than normal.

Just need to hit some of those open shots.

I can understand the Boston line.   Boston has a way to put teams away when they get hot.   Makes it impossible to beat them.  This newer Dallas team rarely will bury a team with three pointers.    Although, it would certainly help if they had a game where they shot 44% from three.
Like Reply
(06-10-2024, 02:59 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: We are 1 good Kyrie game away from it being tied 1-1.

Mavs played better. Made some mistakes game 2. 

Both games they've held this Boston offense to below expected point totals. 

As Kyrie said:

https://x.com/hoopmixonly/status/1800036...95511?s=46&t=y_BEmcB_Mo2oi0--HU-lEA

@HoopMixOnly
Kyrie Irving was letting the Celtics fans know the Mavs will be back for Game 5

If we protect our home, we'll see them back for game 5.

Bad thing is, even going 1-1 at home would make us see them again in game 5, ready to knock us out and win the title at home.
Like Reply
The Celtics don't have many weaknesses to exploit...but there are some lesser of evils that you have to settle for and try attacking. You already saw a little bit of it in the 2nd half with Gafford getting the ball more inside on mismatches where he has been able to score so that's a good start..especially when it's vs. Derrick White. Next, when Pritchard is in the game, you have to find a way to get Luka or PJ matched up on him inside and let them go to work. There are way too many possessions where Pritchard is guarding a bigger player in the corner and it doesn't matter because the ball isn't going there anyway.

Next, Kidd has to give EVERYONE the greenlight to run and force fastbreak opportunities. You cannot allow the pace to slow and let the Celtics set their defense. The Pacers had some success, even without Haliburton, because a lot of their shot opportunities came within the first 10 seconds of the shot clock. On a missed shot, take the ball and go...don't wait for Luka or Kyrie.

Green, Hardy, and Exum should all be encouraged to attack in transition, even if they get blocked or miss. I'd rather have them missing those shots than bricking the open threes in a half court offense that the Celtics want them to take. Horford is old and KP is made of glass...make them run and use some energy.

The Mavs offense is just way too predictable right now and they are playing right into the Celtics' strategy.
[-] The following 4 users Like SwisherPrice's post:
  • ballsrchr, Ghost of Podkolzin, MarkAguirreWrathofGod, RGP1981
Like Reply