Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 3.91 Average
Trade & FA 2023-24: PHX Wants Lebron+Bronny| Hawks to Shop Hunter
(05-27-2024, 08:54 PM)Smitty Wrote: Interesting tidbit. Mavs are 26-5 with this starting lineup. Good for a 69 win pace. If they do nothing at all I feel good about the team next year. Hardy taking over the THJ role and Omax getting some burn when Maxi is out will be just fine with me.

Nice!
[-] The following 2 users Like BolsDamols's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, SleepingHero
Like Reply
I would really like DFS back. I just don't see it happening. I would not use a future first for him and I have to believe some team would. Especially if it was a pick in this draft. Dallas may just need to be patient there. It may be two years or so before we get a shot. On the other hand by then, we may be in a much better spot and may not have playing time for him.
[-] The following 2 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • dirkfansince1998, From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(05-28-2024, 08:36 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I would really like DFS back.  I just don't see it happening.  I would not use a future first for him and I have to believe some team would.  Especially if it was a pick in this draft.  Dallas may just need to be patient there.  It may be two years or so before we get a shot.  On the other hand by then, we may be in a much better spot and may not have playing time for him.

+1. Let him play out his contract or maybe hope for a buyout in a year. I think his next contract is going to be in the BAE/minimum range. If he is still has something left in the tank he can finish his career in Dallas.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(05-27-2024, 10:07 PM)F Gump Wrote: I think DFS would be a very useful contributor, a significant upgrade from THJ on both ends of the floor. (There are others I like too, and I don't see any of them as likely starters, but rather strong rotation contributors.)

It takes something to get something.

I see value in having a pick each year. It would be hard to find minutes to develop more than 1 new player in a season, with this roster. Mavs have 2 picks in 2025 and none in 2026, and 2026 BKN 2nd may be early in rd 2.

While 2025 should be a better draft class than 2024, it's not considered especially special or deep past the top 10. So far. But it's too early to know what it will look like when it's about to happen - kids can develop, but can also regress from expectations.

I would rather have a pick than not, but don't think a pick in the mid-20s is necessarily one to be hoarded.

The time to improve is now, when on the cusp of title(s), rather than wait for a low pick to develop, if you have a choice at solid talent.

If you have a better idea, share it. Do you want to keep THJ around for another year?

I would rather have DJJ on this team at the full MLE than DFS at his current contract, so I think the DJJ situation is a higher priority.  I feel like losing DJJ while sending out draft capital for an aging player (like DFS or Bogdan) is heading in the wrong direction.

While I agree that signing DJJ to 1 + 1 tax MLE would be ideal, there is a very good chance that does not get it done.  At that point we have to shed some significant cap to retain him.  Assuming Dorian has any trade value at all, it should be at least as expensive to trade Timmy for him as would be to simply dump Timmy.  In the case where we need to make room for DJJ, I would rather do that then trade for DFS.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • Arioch
Like Reply
Well, yeah. DJJ should definitely be priority 1. These ideas are all in the context of "if you can sign DJJ using TxMLE, then what do you do next?"

Your statement that dumping THJ (presumably for air) and THJ-for-DFS are similarly expensive is actually part of the equation in my thinking. It's gotta be better to get usable talent in the process of moving off of THJ, right?
Like Reply
(05-28-2024, 11:06 AM)F Gump Wrote: Well, yeah. DJJ should definitely be priority 1. These ideas are all in the context of "if you can sign DJJ using TxMLE, then what do you do next?"

Your statement that dumping THJ (presumably for air) and THJ-for-DFS are similarly expensive is actually part of the equation in my thinking. It's gotta be better to get usable talent in the process of moving off of THJ, right?

I guess I have not thought too much about that scenario because I am finding it increasingly unlikely that we will be able to get DJJ at tax MLE as we continue through the playoffs.  If we do manage to do that, there is probably a strong argument for waiting until the TDL to trade Timmy as his expiring will be more valuable at that point.  That would also give us a chance to see more of Hardy, Green and Omax and see what position we need to target.  One exception I would make is if we can get Grimes (who is distressed) for Timmy + 25 I would pull that trigger now.
Like Reply
Evan Sidery (@esidery)
Rival teams are expecting the Hawks to shop De’Andre Hunter on the trade market, per @MikeAScotto (https://hoopshype.com/lists/aggregate-20...to-lakers/).

Hunter, who is owed $69.9 million over the next three years, averaged 15.6 points while shooting 38.5% on threes.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(05-28-2024, 12:53 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Evan Sidery (@esidery)
Rival teams are expecting the Hawks to shop De’Andre Hunter on the trade market, per @MikeAScotto (https://hoopshype.com/lists/aggregate-20...to-lakers/).

Hunter, who is owed $69.9 million over the next three years, averaged 15.6 points while shooting 38.5% on threes.

THJ/Green/Powell + '25 DAL 1st?

Love his game, much like PJ, his situation was not the best. Good defender, all-around game (jumper/slasher) to add to our youth.
We just paid a whole lot of money to a guy that went 9-29 (31%) on FG and 3-20 (15%) 3-pt% in both our win or go home elimination games last couple of playoffs. SMH 
Like Reply
(05-27-2024, 02:39 PM)F Gump Wrote: My Summer Plan

1 Sign DJJ using TxMLE 1+1
2 Trade THJ (plus 2025 1st, lottery protected) for DFS (plus 2026 2nd)
3 Complete roster by keeping Morris and Lawson

Easy peazy
I like it. 

Perfect would be THJ plus Hardy for Dorian, no picks. Hardy is dramatically increasing his value in these playoffs(protected FRP value?). He will be a bad deal once Klutch gets him paid following next season. Brooklyn would value the low cap number for a young guard for next season (fits with their roster needs). Mavs keep their 2025 stashed. Replace the Hardy roster spot with Dinwiddie for the minimum 

DJJ for cheap is the most unrealistic part of this plan IMO

Morris is the right type of vet to keep around. Doesn’t clown around like Theo. Lawson is a more complete player than Hardy IMO
[-] The following 2 users Like Jason Terry's post:
  • F Gump, From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(05-28-2024, 01:22 PM)HAguiar95 Wrote: THJ/Green/Powell + '25 DAL 1st?

Love his game, much like PJ, his situation was not the best. Good defender, all-around game (jumper/slasher) to add to our youth.

Problem is, how do you play him? Do you trust he is able to replace DJJ in the starting line-up? Will it make sense to have his contract on the bench as he is also not a 6th man type?
[-] The following 2 users Like omahen's post:
  • DallasMaverick, mvossman
Like Reply
(05-28-2024, 01:26 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: I like it. 

Perfect would be THJ plus Hardy for Dorian, no picks. Hardy is dramatically increasing his value in these playoffs(protected FRP value?). He will be a bad deal once Klutch gets him paid following next season. Brooklyn would value the low cap number for a young guard for next season (fits with their roster needs). Mavs keep their 2025 stashed. Replace the Hardy roster spot with Dinwiddie for the minimum 

Morris is the right type of vet to keep around. Doesn’t clown around like Theo. Lawson is a more complete player than Hardy IMO

BKN has a much better version of Hardy already - Cam Thomas.
Like Reply
(05-28-2024, 01:22 PM)HAguiar95 Wrote: THJ/Green/Powell + '25 DAL 1st?

Is he a good defender?  I don't see a lot of evidence for that.  And Atlanta has been in the playoffs in most of his seasons.  Not really comparable to PJ.  I think PJ has been used a lot lately to expect players to come in and be way better defensively than what they were elsewhere.  I don't think that happens all that often.  PJ was a fairly rare case.  Not excited about bringing in someone and expecting a PJ like jump in defense.  

Also, A trade like that means no chance of clearing cap space if we need it (I think we will) to retain DJJ.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
(05-28-2024, 01:26 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: I like it. 

I'm not sure Hardy's 6 min 3 points per playoff game is enough to get him in first round territory value (even protected), especially since other teams recognize the potential future cost concern.  Also think there are some hard feeling with Din, which is why he chose LA over us.  Maybe it was just about playing time and he sees an opening with Timmy and Hardy gone, but I wouldn't count on it.
Like Reply
NBACentral (@TheDunkCentral)
Sam Presti admits that he lost the Gordon Hayward trade

"I missed on that. That's on me. But I'm learning. Trying to learn this team... Just trying to be a great observer of this team as it's going through its paces... I don't think I read that one perfect."

@TheDunkCentral

Gordon Hayward's wife is not happy

[Image: 1795576832923926812_0.jpg?ex=6657a6db&is...eight=1514]
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(05-28-2024, 05:13 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: NBACentral (@TheDunkCentral)

"I missed on that. That's on me. But I'm learning. Trying to learn this team... Just trying to be a great observer of this team as it's going through its paces... I don't think I read that one perfect."

@TheDunkCentral

[Image: 1795576832923926812_0.jpg?ex=6657a6db&is...eight=1514]

She's stuck in OKC...of course she's not happy.
[-] The following 1 user Likes From Dirk to Luka's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
(05-28-2024, 12:53 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Evan Sidery (@esidery)

He's not very good and not worth his contract.  His measurements suggest he should be an excellent defensive wing.  He's not.  He makes poor decisions and is a net negative on the defensive end.  He's ok on offense and can definitely space the floor.  

DJJ is a better player than De'Andre Hunter.  We should stick with him.
Like Reply
(05-28-2024, 05:13 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: NBACentral (@TheDunkCentral)

@TheDunkCentral

Daigneault gave Hayward some minutes and they were hoping he'd earn some of Giddy's minutes.  

Unfortunately, Hayward played terribly for the Thunder.  They quickly realized they already had 12 players on their roster better than Gordon Hayward.   

Maybe he was just recovering from injury but he was bad.  I bet he wishes his wife would not submit her opinions to the world.
[-] The following 3 users Like surfpuckmd's post:
  • BigDirk41, From Dirk to Luka, KillerLeft
Like Reply
NBACentral
@TheDunkCentral
The Lakers are open to discussing deals centered around Jarred Vanderbilt, per
@jovanbuha
Like Reply
(Yesterday, 11:10 AM)surfpuckmd Wrote: Daigneault gave Hayward some minutes and they were hoping he'd earn some of Giddy's minutes.  

Unfortunately, Hayward played terribly for the Thunder.  They quickly realized they already had 12 players on their roster better than Gordon Hayward.   

Maybe he was just recovering from injury but he was bad.  I bet he wishes his wife would not submit her opinions to the world.

I really liked listening to some of Presti's end of the season press conference a few days ago.   I like him.   

Hayward didn't work out and he never fit in.   I think he still has something left.  Not sure if we have the spot open or if he is someone we would be interested in, but I think he can still help a team as a 7th-9th man off the bench.
Like Reply
(6 hours ago)SleepingHero Wrote: NBACentral
@TheDunkCentral
The Lakers are open to discussing deals centered around Jarred Vanderbilt, per
@jovanbuha

LOL.   So they are open to Vanderbilt deals.   Wow.
Like Reply