MavsBoard
HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS (/showthread.php?tid=56)

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - burekemde - 06-06-2021

(06-05-2021, 11:17 PM)Branduil Wrote: Imagine if the Mavs fired Rick to please KP and then it turns out he still sucks with a new coach. Luka would be gone in minutes.

Agree. Luka is all about winning. I think he has a very high regard for Rick. They both challenge and improve eachother. We forget also how much RC has adapted his gameplan and developed Luka as a QB essentially. RC is extremely competitive.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - SleepingHero - 06-06-2021

(06-05-2021, 11:17 PM)Branduil Wrote: Imagine if the Mavs fired Rick to please KP and then it turns out he still sucks with a new coach. Luka would be gone in minutes.

I mean it's not like RC is the best coach in the NBA right now. His coaching performance in game 6 was atrocious. Which is mind boggling because his adjustments in game 5 were amazing.

Kamm said a little bit ago that it's a mixed bag right now with RC and I tend to agree. Further, taking a bird's eye approach on RC's tenure with the Mavs and it's not a pretty one. 

Since 08-09 when RC was hired, the Mavs made it to the playoffs 9 times in 13 years which is solid. However he's only made it out of the first round 2 times. Both of them occurring in his first 3 years as a coach. Carlisle has had 5 straight first round exits. 

Of course we can delve into the details and say the front office never gave RC a good enough roster, or that RC has overperformed at times with little talent, especially during the later Dirk years circa 2012-2015. 
But at the end of the day RC is still the coach and has to take some accountability. 

I think RC has lost it a bit. Our offense has become so one dimensional. That much is obvious to me at least. If there was an adequate replacement for RC I'd be all for a new voice in the locker room. Unfortunately I don't think Sotts/Clifford/JKidd are better than RC. If Stevens was still open to coaching I'd be making that call as fast as I could.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Thukydides - 06-06-2021

That's not a RC thread, but what should he have done?

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - SleepingHero - 06-06-2021

(06-06-2021, 02:48 AM)Thukydides Wrote: That's not a RC thread, but what should he have done?

Do you mean over the last decade? Or in the last game? I assume you mean the former.

I tried alluding to it in my original post, saying that there wasn't much RC could do given the front office choices in building a team post championship. And it has been true that RC did overperform with subpar talent in the mid 2010's. However, results matter at the end of the day. Multiple first round exits gets coaches fired. We've seen it as recent as this week.

Right now, today, I think Carlisle isn't on his top game. Call it being burnt out or whatever he doesn't seem to have the same sort of drive, at least to me.  When it comes to replacing him though it's a moot point because there aren't any clear cut better coaches out there imo. And a coaching change isn't something you want to do just because. 

If there was a Budenholzer/Stevens/Pop/Nurse out there available I'd be clamoring for an RC fire train. But there isn't so it doesn't matter.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - DanSchwartzgan - 06-06-2021

(06-06-2021, 03:19 AM)SleepingHero Wrote:  
Right now, today, I think Carlisle isn't on his top game. Call it being burnt out or whatever he doesn't seem to have the same sort of drive, at least to me.  When it comes to replacing him though it's a moot point because there aren't any clear cut better coaches out there imo. And a coaching change isn't something you want to do just because. 

If there was a Budenholzer/Stevens/Pop/Nurse out there available I'd be clamoring for an RC fire train. But there isn't so it doesn't matter.

It never even crosses my mind that Carlisle should be replaced.  But last week in the Hollinger and Duncan podcast John made an off the cuff remark that I thought was odd.  Nate was taking the Mav looking forward conversation in one direction and Hollinger said 'Oh, I thought you were going to talk about a change with Carlisle'.  Nate followed up and Hollinger acted like he knew something and answered "let's just say it wouldn't be shocking to me" if there was a change.

Not advocating here.  Just reporting.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - ItsGoTime - 06-06-2021

(06-06-2021, 06:57 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: It never even crosses my mind that Carlisle should be replaced.  But last week in the Hollinger and Duncan podcast John made an off the cuff remark that I thought was odd.  Nate was taking the Mav looking forward conversation in one direction and Hollinger said 'Oh, I thought you were going to talk about a change with Carlisle'.  Nate followed up and Hollinger acted like he knew something and answered "let's just say it wouldn't be shocking to me" if there was a change.

Maybe it's RC that sees the writing on the wall or was told this situation and is playing his team the way he wants to, sans KP.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Kammrath - 06-06-2021

(06-06-2021, 06:57 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: It never even crosses my mind that Carlisle should be replaced.  But last week in the Hollinger and Duncan podcast John made an off the cuff remark that I thought was odd.  Nate was taking the Mav looking forward conversation in one direction and Hollinger said 'Oh, I thought you were going to talk about a change with Carlisle'.  Nate followed up and Hollinger acted like he knew something and answered "let's just say it wouldn't be shocking to me" if there was a change.

VERY interesting. 

Wouldn't surprise me one bit either. 

Cuban HAS to change either KP or RC....the line has been drawn in the sand. Will be interesting what Cuban does.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Branduil - 06-06-2021

Firing RC isn't going to fix the fact that KP can't create his own shot and can't roll to the basket. If Cuban fires RC just to try and salvage his KP mistake, I have a feeling we'll look back on that as the moment he lost Luka.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - StepBackJay - 06-06-2021

Only way Rick ever leaves is if Luka seems it so and I don't think that will happen.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Scott41theMavs - 06-06-2021

(06-06-2021, 07:13 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Maybe it's RC that sees the writing on the wall or was told this situation and is playing his team the way he wants to, sans KP.

Maybe the Celtics are going to go after Carlisle and that's his dream job. 

That would make a lot of sense. Only way Carlisle leaves voluntarily.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Jason Terry - 06-06-2021

(06-06-2021, 08:39 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: Only way Rick ever leaves is if Luka seems it so and I don't think that will happen.
Yeah Luka has total control of the franchise. He’s at the point where all decisions need to get his blessing. Still think the most likely downfall of KP will end up being that Luka told KP 5 months ago after a game he’d ship him off elsewhere at the next available opportunity. Rick has just managed the whole thing and taken some of the heat. Makes sense why everyone involved with the mavs has been so hush hush and diplomatic this year

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Jason Terry - 06-06-2021

(06-06-2021, 09:04 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Maybe the Celtics are going to go after Carlisle and that's his dream job. 

This is the real worry. Though it’s hard to imagine him walking away from Luka. The only way i see it is if Donnie and Mark keep KP another year and he dips out of here to avoid the inevitable  explosion

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Hypermav - 06-06-2021

Is RC's only daughter graduating high school this year?  Not saying RC would leave but changing jobs would be much easier.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - ItsGoTime - 06-06-2021

(06-06-2021, 08:39 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: Only way Rick ever leaves is if Luka seems it so and I don't think that will happen.
Cleveland wants to talk to you about catering to a superstar like that.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - khaled1987 - 06-06-2021

(06-06-2021, 09:04 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Maybe the Celtics are going to go after Carlisle and that's his dream job. 

With his daughter in high school and basically didn't live outside of Dallas, I thin RC will turn Celtics down.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - KillerLeft - 06-06-2021

(06-06-2021, 10:11 AM)khaled1987 Wrote: With his daughter in high school and basically didn't live outside of Dallas, I thin RC will turn Celtics down.

I think his daughter started college this year, or maybe even last year. I want to say she goes to Baylor...but not sure.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - StepBackJay - 06-06-2021

(06-06-2021, 09:51 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Cleveland wants to talk to you about catering to a superstar like that.

It's true. Luka is the franchise. I don't think Luka will demand Rick get fired, he doesn't seem like that type of guy.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - dirkfansince1998 - 06-06-2021

https://twitter.com/statmuse/status/1401667576770400257?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1401667576770400257%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fforums.realgm.com%2Fboards%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ft%3D2087990start%3D2920

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - phiL - 06-06-2021

... and is propably the worst 7 foot rebounder in the league. I realy loved the trade first but i dont think we should waste one more year hoping it gets better. But who will take that albatros contract?

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - khaled1987 - 06-06-2021

(06-06-2021, 10:12 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: I think his daughter started college this year, or maybe even last year. I want to say she goes to Baylor...but not sure.

Hmmm, she is 17 and iirc she was high school freshman (or about to be one) when Dirk was retiring. Doubt she is in college,  but maybe I am missing some info