MavsBoard
HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS (/showthread.php?tid=56)

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - dirkfansince1998 - 06-05-2021

(06-05-2021, 07:34 PM)omahen Wrote: It was unstoppable against Zubac

Question is what WCS is doing that Powell couldn´t do. Powell is the +/- darling of the series among Mavs bigs. WCS is by far the worst. Mavs offense tanks when WCS is on the floor and the defense isn´t any better.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - omahen - 06-05-2021

(06-05-2021, 07:46 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Question is what WCS is doing that Powell couldn´t do. Powell is the +/- darling of the series among Mavs bigs. WCS is by far the worst. Mavs offense tanks when WCS is on the floor and the defense isn´t any better.

I don't really remember every detail of previous games, so I will just comment about game 6. Powell substituted KP at the end of first quarter and got two quick fouls in first minutes of second quarter with George attacking him. WCS substituted him and actually had a very good run in the second that ended with a failed jumpball. I guess RC hoped WCS will replicate his play from the second quarter, but didn't happen. Imho by far bigger question is why Kleber played almost whole last quarter.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - StepBackJay - 06-05-2021

(06-05-2021, 06:50 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: That´s one of the strangest decisions. Luka-Powell pick and roll was unstoppable in game 5. Let´s not try it in game 6.

I am shaking my head at this too. I really don't know why Powell makes good decisions in PnR. We have seen him start to get really good when Luka gets trapped as well which was happening a lot. For the life of me I don't understand we why didn't get more DP in game 6.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Scott41theMavs - 06-05-2021

(06-05-2021, 11:08 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: A few reasonable trades for KP:

- GSW Wiggins package
- Wizards young guys + Bertans
- Blazers Nurkic, RoCo, DJJ
- SA Derozan S&T

I hate every single one of those deals with a passion. I liked your post because it is realistic.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - StepBackJay - 06-05-2021

(06-05-2021, 06:55 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: If Maxi can't or doesn't want to shoot, it is puzzling that he is being used like he can and does. I was really taken aback at the Maxi-Willie combo in the fourth, and even mildly surprised that he was in the closing unit. Maybe this is all easy for me to say with the benefit of hindsight, but I really did wonder about it in real time.

I was pretty horrified in real-time given how bad Maxi was playing that he was in that final lineup.

(06-05-2021, 08:51 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: I hate every single one of those deals with a passion. I liked your post because it is realistic.

Do you have a better trade in mind or do you think this is the best we can get?

(06-05-2021, 07:34 PM)omahen Wrote: It was unstoppable against Zubac

Ya I think with no Zubac Rick isn't as confident in DP I guess and you can be sure that Zubac will get zero minutes in game 7 while Luka is on the floor which means another 5 minutes or so for the game. 

I think DP can be good even with no Zubac to help beat small ball.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - KillerLeft - 06-05-2021

(06-05-2021, 08:51 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: I hate every single one of those deals with a passion. I liked your post because it is realistic.

Man, I think that Portland deal is way more than can be expected. The others are pretty realistic.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Scott41theMavs - 06-05-2021

(06-05-2021, 08:52 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Do you have a better trade in mind or do you think this is the best we can get?

Oh, believe me, I wish I believed we could get a better deal than those, but IMHO that's big-time wishful thinking.

The tantrums around here when the KP trade goes down this summer are going to be U-G-L-Y. Unless Vlade becomes a GM again in the meantime.

(06-05-2021, 07:46 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Question is what WCS is doing that Powell couldn´t do. Powell is the +/- darling of the series among Mavs bigs. WCS is by far the worst. Mavs offense tanks when WCS is on the floor and the defense isn´t any better.

Ya WCS has been up and down. I just get nervous ab WCS making decisions on traps. We also saw a lot of DFS having to make decisions off of traps late and he didn't make good ones. The Clips are putting their worse guy on DFS. At any rate there are still tweaks the Mavs can make to how they handle these traps which should continue in game 7. Doesn't mean these adjustments will work but you can change the personnel on the court, who screens, you can even try *gasp* some plays don't don't involve the high screen and roll. For example we could have had Boban late who definitely sets giant screens. I am getting tired of announcers saying how good a passer he is as he has not passed the ball well lately.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - KillerLeft - 06-05-2021

(06-05-2021, 08:58 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: The tantrums around here when the KP trade goes down this summer are going to be U-G-L-Y.

Agreed. I plan on lurking only for at least a week after it goes down. 

I just hope people can bring themselves to get behind Kemba Walker when he's the starting PG for the Mavs next season. (kidding...mostly).

(06-05-2021, 08:58 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Oh, believe me, I wish I believed we could get a better deal than those, but IMHO that's big-time wishful thinking.

The tantrums around here when the KP trade goes down this summer are going to be U-G-L-Y. Unless Vlade becomes a GM again in the meantime.

Ya I guess we will just have to see what Mavs end up getting. For the fans that think KP is going to net Ben Simmons or Bradley Beal, they are going to be pretty upset and are delusional.

I basically believe the KP situation has turned into a Rondo-like situation in terms of fit but KP is being much more professional about it and had a very good offensive year. I compare him to Rondo only to say there came a point when it was clear that the Rondo fit just wasn't there and that's what happened eventually with KP. We saw some good performances on occasion, but his post-ups and turnaround jumpers don't fit the offense Mavs want to run (not to mention injuries, defensive limitations).

(06-05-2021, 09:00 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Agreed. I plan on lurking only for at least a week after it goes down. 

I just hope people can bring themselves to get behind Kemba Walker when he's the starting PG for the Mavs next season. (kidding...mostly).

Some Kemba ideas:
https://www.celticsblog.com/2021/6/5/22520279/a-few-kemba-walker-trade-ideas-nba-trade-rumors-boston-celtics

- Horford + 1st rounder (this has been my prediction for a while)
- PatBev, Kennard, Mann - I actually like this a lot for the Clips...Kennard, PatBev are dead weight. Mann is good but Clippers need an actual PG. I actually think this sounds pretty darn reasonable.
- Eric Bledsoe & Steven Adams - this should show you how pessimistic even Celtics bloggers are. I mean KP's value is not this low. I would bet everything I have on that.
- Christian Wood & Eric Gordon - not happening
- Terrence Ross & Gary Harris - doesn't really make sense to me
- Coby White, Sato, Aminu - don't think so unless Bulls get desperate

I am surprised they didn't throw out a KP idea. I know Bill Simmons mentioned it but he's delusional. Mavs do really need a 2nd playmaker. If it were up to me I would pay DeRozan a lot of money.

A very short time ago, I abominated the idea of acquiring DeRozan. Age, no 3, no D. But at this point he's so many light years ahead of what we have aside from Luka (and DFS as a key heart guy) that I'm in.

(06-05-2021, 08:57 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Man, I think that Portland deal is way more than can be expected. The others are pretty realistic.

The Portland deal would be a nice surprise. RoCo is actually a very usable piece. I don't think Portland does that deal without a future first included. But that - KP and a first for that package - is the high end of realism, IMHO.

I'm thinking that perhaps the most realistic end to this saga is that KP ends up a Spur. I can imagine Pop, who wanted him in the first place, saying, "Damn, they're using him all wrong. I could make something out of him." Don't know what we'd get back, but I can envision all the wailing and gnashing of teeth here when the one person in the NBA capable of rehabilitating KP does just that.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Chicagojk - 06-05-2021

Maybe this has been posted already, but this was a liked post by Cuban yesterday.  Any idea what he liked about it?

https://twitter.com/Glenjr1988/status/1401024042870751236?s=20

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Kammrath - 06-05-2021

https://twitter.com/Glenjr1988/status/1401024042870751236

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - loki - 06-05-2021

(06-05-2021, 10:02 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Maybe this has been posted already, but this was a liked post by Cuban yesterday.  Any idea what he liked about it?

https://twitter.com/Glenjr1988/status/1401024042870751236?s=20

I imagine he's pretty pissed that his coach gave up on the $158M dollar man. I would be if I were in his shoes.

(06-05-2021, 10:53 PM)loki Wrote: I imagine he's pretty pissed that his coach gave up on the $158M dollar man. I would be if I were in his shoes.

Interesting. I would say that, in the extremely unlikely scenario that the Mavs keep KP, they cannot at the same time keep Rick. Mutually exclusive if you're going to make any attempt at KP working here, which I do not think is happening anyway.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Branduil - 06-05-2021

Imagine if the Mavs fired Rick to please KP and then it turns out he still sucks with a new coach. Luka would be gone in minutes.