MavsBoard
HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS (/showthread.php?tid=56)

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Kammrath - 06-04-2021

https://twitter.com/KevinOConnorNBA/status/1401023035608608771

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - ThisIStheYear - 06-04-2021

(06-04-2021, 10:53 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Zinger played probably his best game impact wise today. He was far from the reason why the Mavs lost

Boban couldn't make a freaking layup. RC went away from what worked. Brunson can't score in the 4th. Luka deferring to Maxi Bricklayer. Etc. etc.

43%, 5 rebounds, 7 points? Excellent return for $30 million.  But maybe this was his best game.  At least he could play a little D if he’s hidden in a zone.  But that doesn’t make that dog crap stat line any better.

But I agree with the rest of your post.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - RedFlag41 - 06-04-2021

Mavs should do a KP for RoCo and Nurkic trade.

Mavs get a real center and a plus wing defender who can shoot the three.

Portland gets a third star with Dame and CJ.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - SwisherPrice - 06-04-2021

I am a KP critic but there is merit in pinning some blame on the coaches too. When they decided to completely abandon making KP a part of this offense, it was over. From that point on, it was all about milking the Luka-Heavy offense and living and dying by it.

Yes, we all know he's a physically limited 7'3" big man who plays small. But it seems like the coaches just gave up on him at some point this season and decided to turn him into Channing Frye. It's to the point where they would rather see Luka dribble the air out of the ball for 20 seconds and then force up a tough fadeaway three than involve KP at all offensively

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Branduil - 06-04-2021

The Mavs went away from KP because he's garbage and we're actually trying to win this series.

Move him for whatever you can in the offseason and move on.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - ThisIStheYear - 06-04-2021

Zinger had two easy dunks in his 7 points and still only shot 43%. 5 rebounds.  Why get someone playing like that more involved? This isn’t the preseason.

The coaching was terrible though.  The lineup to start the fourth was awful.  Maxi closing the game out? He was terrible all night.  Why use him there?  And not doubling Kawhi in the fourth until the game was over?  That was the worst single coaching move of the year. The Clippers, in contrast, we’re constantly running multiple guys at Luka. So, can’t argue with you about the coaching.  I’ve held out hope for Zinger, but he’s just been terrible — inefficient and not really doing much else. His contract is an albatross.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Kammrath - 06-04-2021

(06-04-2021, 11:19 PM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: The coaching was terrible though.

The twin towers move was legit the last two games and saved the series....but so many other coaching decisions, tonight in particular really cost the Mavs the game. 

RC is really a mixed bag as a coach right now. Some brilliance still, but lots of costly moves as well.

https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status/1401030935571668993

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - SwisherPrice - 06-05-2021

I don't blame KP for wanting to get far away from this coaching staff. How did they let it get this bad between him and the offense? The Mavs' inability to build a competent offense around KP's skillset and Luka's perimeter play-making ability is what will define these last 2 seasons. This pairing never worked out and it's a shame because now, if I'm a GM watching the Mavs offense with potential interest in trading, I have huge question marks on KP if it's related to health/durability. You rarely see a team's #2 option be relegated to this type of role where he is basically an after-thought on offense.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Branduil - 06-05-2021

Bizarre to me that people are somehow still blaming Carlisle for this. You really think that in a series where Luka has absolutely no help at all, they're not going to KP because, what, they just hate him that much?

KP isn't getting touches and scoring because he's incapable of it. He has no feel for the game unless he's just putting up points on bottom-feeders.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - MFFL - 06-05-2021

(06-05-2021, 12:46 AM)Branduil Wrote: Bizarre to me that people are somehow still blaming Carlisle for this. You really think that in a series where Luka has absolutely no help at all, they're not going to KP because, what, they just hate him that much?

KP isn't getting touches and scoring because he's incapable of it. He has no feel for the game unless he's just putting up points on bottom-feeders.

A big guy needs an offense where he is featured to some degree. There is no way that KP can put an impact on the game if he gets the ball less than Boban

In fact, all our bigs were ignored (other than Boban) - only 13 shots between KP, Maxi, WCS, and Powell

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - StepBackJay - 06-05-2021

I mean there is just no way KP stays here. As mentioned he is basically Channing Frye on this team.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Chicagojk - 06-05-2021

The stats didn't show it, but I thought for the first time all series KP was engaged and active.   Just not on offense.   He needs more than 7 shots. Period.   I think it is so frustrating, that we are two years into KP being a Mav and we still don't know his spots to get him points.  I like when he gets the ball 15 feet out on the side and banks in the shot. IMO that is a good starting point to build other moves into that spot.  I also like when he is on the wing and they run a pick for him and he gets the ball at the elbow to either shoot or pump fake.  That is another area to build other moves off of.   He never gets those touches.  IMO the regular season should be used to give him tons of reps at those spots.   

Seeing KP play pretty well next to Boban on defense, makes me wonder if another mobile big man next to KP is the best play.   I have said for two years the real unicorn is finding that perfect PF next to KP.   They are so rare.  That player needs to be able to defend on the perimeter but also be a factor defending the rim.   He needs to be tough and be able to rebound.  He needs to be smart with a good bball IQ who can also pass.  And he needs to be a threat from the three point line.   That is a lot to ask for, but to me it is the key to having Luka and KP work.   Think young Al Horford.   Xavier Tillman I thought could be a mini version of this prior to the draft.   Ideally this would be one player.  But they are so rare, you may need to have two guys.   Mavs clearly lack this imo.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - StepBackJay - 06-05-2021

So I guess KP isn't the screener because they will just switch? They were doubling a lot but don't you think they do that because DFS is the screener? 

If they are going to double I would take my chances with KP at least a couple of times. Also I think Boban should be in the closing unit. 

KP played a pretty good game by his new standards but this is not what the Mavs thought they were getting. Anyone who thinks Mavs have any confidence that keeping KP another year makes any sense is dreaming.

A few reasonable trades for KP:

- GSW Wiggins package
- Wizards young guys + Bertans
- Blazers Nurkic, RoCo, DJJ
- SA Derozan S&T

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - ItsGoTime - 06-05-2021

(06-05-2021, 09:10 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Seeing KP play pretty well next to Boban on defense, makes me wonder if another mobile big man next to KP is the best play.   I have said for two years the real unicorn is finding that perfect PF next to KP.   They are so rare.  That player needs to be able to defend on the perimeter but also be a factor defending the rim.   He needs to be tough and be able to rebound.  He needs to be smart with a good bball IQ who can also pass.  And he needs to be a threat from the three point line.   That is a lot to ask for, but to me it is the key to having Luka and KP work.   Think young Al Horford.   Xavier Tillman I thought could be a mini version of this prior to the draft.   Ideally this would be one player.  But they are so rare, you may need to have two guys.   Mavs clearly lack this imo.
These are the skills I see in Turner. I also believe WCJ is the new Al Horford of the league, he just wasn’t unlocked in CHI. I’ve made plenty of posts about getting one of the two here sometimes with KP, other times without. With WCJ being moved at the TDL, wonder if we tried to get in on that at all. Getting that package they sent to ORL might look a bit better for us right now. MAYBE not on the court this year, but it would be pretty amazing for the future with an expiring OPJ this offseason.

KP would have matched Lavine’s timeline for CHI as well so it could have been good for them too!

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - TXBamanut - 06-05-2021

(06-05-2021, 12:46 AM)Branduil Wrote: Bizarre to me that people are somehow still blaming Carlisle for this. You really think that in a series where Luka has absolutely no help at all, they're not going to KP because, what, they just hate him that much?

That's ridiculous.   Incapable?  That's laughable.  If they would have simply passed it to him when he was open at the 3pt line, they would have won the game.  He was 1-2 from there until the end of the game and the desperation heave at the end...but they would rather feed DFS, JB and Boban...how'd that work for us?  Not as good as game 2....

They ran a play they haven't run all year in game 3.  Cross screen got KP right to the low block and easy entry pass to the wing....turn and quick jump hook for 2... was slick... never ran it again...IDIOTIC.

But they don't even have to do that, because he stood wide open time and time again last night and JB abd DFS would fake the pass and drive or take a contested shot.

They would rather lose I guess than pass him the ball.... its CRC's mad scientist tinkering and we are at 3-3, but the timkering has a shelf life.   RC has AWLAYS been a brilliant tactician, but often he overthinks and leans to the too cute side of things,  it has shot him in the foot in the past,...

Don't even bring me "bogging down the offense"...open 3s IS the offense....amh.

That is ABSOLUTELY on CRC.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Branduil - 06-05-2021

I mean I guess we'll see what happens when KP gets traded and he doesn't magically learn how to get his own shot away from bully RC

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - dirkfansince1998 - 06-05-2021

(06-05-2021, 06:16 PM)TXBamanut Wrote:  If they would have simply passed it to him when he was open at the 3pt line, they would have won the game.  

Sounds great but in reality he is only shooting 36.4% from 3 in the series. Richardson is worse. THJ, Luka, DFS, Maxi and JB are all in the 40% + range.

(06-05-2021, 06:16 PM)TXBamanut Wrote: They ran a play they haven't run all year in game 3.  Cross screen got KP right to the low block and easy entry pass to the wing....turn and quick jump hook for 2... was slick... never ran it again...IDIOTIC.

Even better. Let´s focus on the made shots and ignore the missed ones. Otherwise we would realize that KP is not exactly a great midrange shooter (low 40s) and not the most efficient post player. Not to mention that he makes it really hard for his teammates to get the ball in the post because he chooses bad spots and angles.

There is no conspiracy to make KP look like a bad player. He simply isn´t as good. This year he actually had the most efficient scoring season of his career. Why? Because the Mavs reduced his post up and iso attempts. Catch and shoots 3s and dunks/layups instead of 15ft fadeaways.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - KillerLeft - 06-05-2021

(06-05-2021, 06:31 PM)Branduil Wrote: I mean I guess we'll see what happens when KP gets traded and he doesn't magically learn how to get his own shot away from bully RC

The part I'll find frustrating is that if the offense on his new team is built around him (like in NY) he'll have more highlights and show more potential (like in NY). But, it will probably be on a bad team (like NY was). My prediction is that Mavs fans will be all "see, whey couldn't WE use him like that here??!" without making the connection between that approach and losing. 

It will be like the Andre Drummond debate (which should never have even been a debate in the first place) only magnified by a thousand.