MavsBoard
HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS (/showthread.php?tid=56)

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - HanspardsShowerVoice - 06-03-2021

I think McCollum, as a ~30 year old small combo guard on a max deal who plays no defense and is already running into injury problems, is a declining future value asset going forward like KP.  I'm not entirely sure the Blazers are going to do better than KP.   They have no use for the role player and future draft pick pu pu platter like the Pels got for Jrue.   They need a player who helps them win right away while Dame's window is still open, and preferably a big.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - StepBackJay - 06-03-2021

(06-03-2021, 02:45 PM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: I think McCollum, as a ~30 year old small combo guard on a max deal who plays no defense and is already running into injury problems, is a declining future value asset going forward like KP.  I'm not entirely sure the Blazers are going to do better than KP.   They have no use for the role player and future draft pick pu pu platter like the Pels got for Jrue.   They need a player who helps them win right away while Dame's window is still open, and preferably a big.

I will take CJ any day all day. Hey maybe Rick was previewing the future Nurkic, KP lineup. See Blazers, you can totally start two 7 footers!

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - StepBackJay - 06-03-2021

I don't see how trading CJ away for KP who is redundant with Nurkic would be any kind of solution for the Blazers.

Furthermore that's not the type of offense that will get KP good looks necessarily. It's basically a lot of drive and kick kind of stuff that's similar to the Mavs.

KP needs an offense like GSW or SA that can get him the ball in good spots. I think the Wiz would be also be take turns hero ball but I still think they will be in the mix because they're desperate.

Celtics maybe just because they want a real center and Kings because they aren't afraid of doing random trades.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - HanspardsShowerVoice - 06-03-2021

I don't see how Nurkic and KP are redundant.  Nurkick is a classic 280 lbs. big stiff who parks in the paint and has no stretch ability (shoots .2 3PA per game for his career).   Nurkic is also coming up to the end of his contract, and the Blazers probably won't put much effort into keeping him.    KP would be a replacement for Zach Collins, who looks like his career toast.  That has been a catastrophic loss for them and how they had built their roster. He was supposed to be their dynamic offense stretch big. Portland had to over rely on 84 year old Carmello because they get absolutely zero offensive presence from their front court beyond 6 feet from the rim.

Collins isn't a starter. They start RoCo at PF. So you are going to start Dame, Powell, RoCo, KP, Nurkic together? That's playing basically 2 guys out of position. KP in today's NBA is much more a 5. RoCo is more of a tweener PF. If I was Portland I would be trading Nurkic somewhere for a SF so that I could play RoCo next to KP. I still don't see how that really moves the needle much.

I guess I'm not really seeing Nurkic as this longterm key foundational franchise piece of the Blazers like you do when he's playing 23 minutes a game and has 1 year remaining on his contract.   Only $4 million of his contract is fully guaranteed for 2021/22, and there's a very good likelihood they could waive him and save $8 million considering he's really nothing more than a part time role player for them (who is currently being played off the floor in the playoffs). 

And yes, they did see Collins as a foundational piece of the franchise, which is why they used a lottery pick on him.

(06-03-2021, 03:55 PM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: I guess I'm not really seeing Nurkic as this longterm key foundational franchise piece of the Blazers like you do when he's playing 23 minutes a game and has 1 year remaining on his contract.   Only $4 million of his contract is fully guaranteed for 2021/22, and there's a very good likelihood they could waive him and save $8 million considering he's really nothing more than a part time role player for them (who is currently being played off the floor in the playoffs). 

And yes, they did see Collins as a foundational piece of the franchise, which is why they used a lottery pick on him.

Right so I am just saying Nurkic + KP doesn't make sense. Collins is probably gone. I don't know if Portland would see KP as some huge upgrade. Maybe? Who knows.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - SleepingHero - 06-03-2021

(06-03-2021, 05:25 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Right so I am just saying Nurkic + KP doesn't make sense. Collins is probably gone. I don't know if Portland would see KP as some huge upgrade. Maybe? Who knows.

I don't think POR makes a trade for Norman Powell just for him to walk in the offseason. They're most likely going to retain him just for asset management sakes. CJ vs. Powell, they overlap in a LOT of a the same skills. 

Analyzing just how POR performed with CJ and Dame, they have had 5 first round exits in 8 years. The window is closing on Dame and they've been pining for a stretch big for years. 

KP fits the bill for what they're theortically looking for. From the Blazers standpoint they get that stretch big they've wanted and still retain the CJ role with Powell (even on a discount!). 

Makes a LOT of sense for POR to trade CJ if you look at it that way. The only question is, is KP the best they can do for CJ?

(06-03-2021, 06:23 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I don't think POR makes a trade for Norman Powell just for him to walk in the offseason. They're most likely going to retain him just for asset management sakes. CJ vs. Powell, they overlap in a LOT of a the same skills. 

Analyzing just how POR performed with CJ and Dame, they have had 5 first round exits in 8 years. The window is closing on Dame and they've been pining for a stretch big for years. 

KP fits the bill for what they're theortically looking for. From the Blazers standpoint they get that stretch big they've wanted and still retain the CJ role with Powell (even on a discount!). 

Makes a LOT of sense for POR to trade CJ if you look at it that way. The only question is, is KP the best they can do for CJ?

Right.  Like, maybe they could swing a trade for Myles Turner and they would prefer that over KP, but there is no  question that a scoring stretch big is the biggest hole on their roster.  Even though they were guard heavy they traded for Powell to play as an undersized wing for  some more offensive firepower because they were getting absolutely zero offense out of their starting frontcourt of Nurk, RoCo and Jones Jr.  CJ is the most likely (only??) trade piece they have.   They already traded their 2021 first round pick for RoCo.   CJ at a max contract isn't going to be easy to match for a lot of teams without having to give up significant high level talent, which contenders will be hesitant to do and non-contending teams aren't going to be in the market for a 30 year old small combo guard at a max deal.       They're also already over the tax and flirting with repeater penalties, so free agent signings aren't in the cards for them.   They're going to have to remake the roster in the offseason with limited available avenues. Most logical move for them is to l ship off CJ for an offensive big and resign Powell and move him back to his natural 2 guard.  I wouldn't be surprised if they just outright cut Nurk for luxury tax relief.  They can get a big stiff for a lot less than $12 million.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - ItsGoTime - 06-03-2021

3 team trade with CJ, Brunson and stuff going to IND, KP and stuff going to POR, Turner and Brogdon going to DAL.

[SBJ mod edit - CJ Miles is not in Portland]

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - StepBackJay - 06-04-2021

(06-03-2021, 08:09 PM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: I wouldn't be surprised if they just outright cut Nurk for luxury tax relief.  They can get a big stiff for a lot less than $12 million.

I haven't watched Nurkic lately but I thought he was a pretty good player. He's like a nightly double/double in 24 mpg. I don't think he will be back with the Blazers but I don't see why you wouldn't trade his expiring deal. At worst he's a rotational big. I think he would still start on many teams.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - michaeltex - 06-04-2021

(06-03-2021, 08:09 PM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: Even though they were guard heavy they traded for Powell to play as an undersized wing for  some more offensive firepower because they were getting absolutely zero offense out of their starting frontcourt of Nurk, RoCo and Jones Jr.
I haven't watched POR much, but I thought RoCo was a key piece. This board seemed to have a consensus that he'd be a great add before he went to HOU. Was he a bust in POR or is it a situational thing?

(06-03-2021, 09:20 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: 3 team trade with CJ, Brunson and stuff going to IND, KP and stuff going to POR, Turner and Brogdon going to DAL.

[SBJ mod edit - CJ Miles is not in Portland]

And break up the Twin Towers???  Cool

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - omahen - 06-04-2021

(06-04-2021, 10:08 AM)michaeltex Wrote: I haven't watched POR much, but I thought RoCo was a key piece. This board seemed to have a consensus that he'd be a great add before he went to HOU. Was he a bust in POR or is it a situational thing?

I also only saw Portland against Mavs, so I am giving a guess. If 4 guys don't play defense, one quality defender doesn't change anything.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - dirkfansince1998 - 06-04-2021

(06-04-2021, 10:17 AM)omahen Wrote: I also only saw Portland against Mavs, so I am giving a guess. If 4 guys don't play defense, one quality defender doesn't change anything.

This...Lillard, McCollum and Powell starting next to him. Nurkic is solid in the paint but just as bad as KP on the perimeter. With Simmons, Anthony and Kanter of the bench. RoCo can cover a lot of ground and rotates all over the place but he is the only plus defender in the rotation.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - ItsGoTime - 06-04-2021

(06-04-2021, 10:17 AM)omahen Wrote: If 4 guys don't play defense, one quality defender doesn't change anything.
HOU's Capela says "HI"!

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Kammrath - 06-04-2021

(06-04-2021, 10:26 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: This...Lillard, McCollum and Powell starting next to him. Nurkic is solid in the paint but just as bad as KP on the perimeter. With Simmons, Anthony and Kanter of the bench. RoCo can cover a lot of ground and rotates all over the place but he is the only plus defender in the rotation.

I 100% agree with the gist of your post, but totally disagree with your take on Nurkic. He IS a PLUS defender....problem is he played only 880 mins in the regular season and sat 2,581 mins.

In the 173 mins Nurkic played against DEN in the playoffs, POR outscored DEN by 12.9. In the 125 mins Nurkic sat POR was outscored by DEN by 18.9 (!!!). 

If Nurkic could have played more mins (out for some foul trouble), I think POR could have won that series.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - ItsGoTime - 06-04-2021

(06-04-2021, 12:03 PM)Kammrath Wrote: If Nurkic could have played more mins (out for some foul trouble), I think POR could have won that series.
And if coach would've put me in, we would've won state. No doubt. No doubt in my mind!  Wink

Sorry, don't have a dog in this fight, the part I quoted just reminded me of Uncle Rico.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - dirkfansince1998 - 06-04-2021

(06-04-2021, 12:03 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I 100% agree with the gist of your post, but totally disagree with your take on Nurkic. He IS a PLUS defender....problem is he played only 880 mins in the regular season and sat 2,581 mins.

In the 173 mins Nurkic played against DEN in the playoffs, POR outscored DEN by 12.9. In the 125 mins Nurkic sat POR was outscored by DEN by 18.9 (!!!). 

If Nurkic could have played more mins (out for some foul trouble), I think POR could have won that series.

Don´t think Nurkic is terrible on defense. As you mentioned he was really good against the Nuggets. He is one of the strongest players in the league and knows how to take advantage of his size. Similar to Adams. Great in matchups with bigs like Embiid or Jokic but in trouble against teams that spam high pick and roll with a good ballhandler. To be fair. Most players of his size are struggling on the perimeter. Just shows how the game developed in the last couple of years.
Just look at the current Mavs-Clippers series. Zubac isn´t a terrible perimeter defender. Certainly quicker than Boban or KP but he is hopeless against Luka.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - ThisIStheYear - 06-04-2021

Zinger is point shaving. Guess his max contract isn’t enough.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - SleepingHero - 06-04-2021

(06-04-2021, 10:43 PM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: Zinger is point shaving. Guess his max contract isn’t enough.

Zinger played probably his best game impact wise today. He was far from the reason why the Mavs lost

Boban couldn't make a freaking layup. RC went away from what worked. Brunson can't score in the 4th. Luka deferring to Maxi Bricklayer. Etc. etc.