MavsBoard
HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS (/showthread.php?tid=56)

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - StepBackJay - 06-03-2021

(06-03-2021, 12:37 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: I know it sounds nuts, but Zinger wasn’t that awful tonight.  He wasn’t max worthy, but he was better than the stat line says.

Well I thought it was good that he sat with 3 fouls in the first half. KP to me is a guy that is one of several rotation bigs Rick has at his disposal to use as he sees fit. He is not a max player and shouldn't be treated as a second star if we want to get anywhere. He can have his moments just like Powell, Kleber, WCS, and Boban.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - StepBackJay - 06-03-2021

I like some of the KP, Charlotte trade ideas I just wonder if Charlotte is really going to go in that direction. They aren't a big market or contender so do they want a potentially unhappy max KP on their team?

Teams I think that KP would be happy to go to (imo) would be teams like Boston, SA, GSW, Miami, Raptors (maybe?) even the Wiz just because the Wiz would have a big 3 in a big market with a lot of buzz.

I don't picture Charlotte, Indy type teams pushing for a trade, I could be wrong.

(06-03-2021, 09:24 AM)vfromlmf Wrote: I just can't believe how passive KP is playing. Sure, he knocked down one good look but he was clearly the 5th option late in the game. I'd rather see just about in any shot from Luka, any THJ or DFS three, or Powell/Bobi in the paint than give the ball to KP in the final 5 minutes. He just looks mechanical, unsure, and way out of sync. A turnover waiting to happen. Really sucks to see.

I think KP needs to just take what the offense gives him in this series, basically like a Maxi or DFS would. If Mavs survive the Clips maybe they can try to use him differently in the next round, but that is a problem for another day.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - vfromlmf - 06-03-2021

(06-03-2021, 09:28 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: Well I thought it was good that he sat with 3 fouls in the first half. KP to me is a guy that is one of several rotation bigs Rick has at his disposal to use as he sees fit. He is not a max player and shouldn't be treated as a second star if we want to get anywhere. He can have his moments just like Powell, Kleber, WCS, and Boban.

I agree but it says a lot that Carlisle feels like he has to go out of his way to apologize for KP after every game. Biggest shot of the season? I don't think so. Changed his positioning? Whatever. I watched the last five minutes and KP was a non factor and the Clippers WERE NOT keyed on stopping him in any way.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - ItsGoTime - 06-03-2021

(06-03-2021, 09:44 AM)vfromlmf Wrote: I agree but it says a lot that Carlisle feels like he has to go out of his way to apologize for KP after every game. Biggest shot of the season? I don't think so. Changed his positioning? Whatever. I watched the last five minutes and KP was a non factor and the Clippers WERE NOT keyed on stopping him in any way.
They were keyed on sticking 1 guy on him all game (that guy hardly ever helped anywhere else) and we were keyed on using him as a decoy in the corner and not using him.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - jesusshuttlesworth82 - 06-03-2021

8pts, 6rbds, 0 ast, 0 stl, 0 blk

but at least he didnt screw anything up

that's the bar for KP now

(06-03-2021, 10:08 AM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: 8pts, 6rbds, 0 ast, 0 stl, 0 blk

but at least he didnt screw anything up

that's the bar for KP now

Ya no doubt. So we have the reality that KP is not a star and really Mavs can only focus on 1 game, 1 series and trying to escape the Clippers.

As I mentioned KP is basically reduced to a stretch 5. The good news is that he will take big 3 pointers. He has been reduced to a much lesser role at least in this series. It reminds me to extent of Cavs Kevin Love when he was the third wheel and didn't always have a lot of responsibilities outside of shooting jumpers.

Mavs have to stop wasting possessions on trying to get KP going in the block and it looks like that's where we are now. I am glad Rick/Mavs finally have come to this place bc its our only chance.

It's better for Mavs and KP if we beat the Clippers. It doesn't serve anyone to lose this series because we forced more FGA's for KP.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - HanspardsShowerVoice - 06-03-2021

I mean, this is why he didn't want to play the 4 ... because he knew that he was going to basically be relegated to Channing Frye.   All he can do is be an efficient version of Channing Frye given the opportunities, which he was shooting 50% , including 50% from 3PT.  And it's probably the Mavs best shot at winning, but no  doublt it's still an incredibly inefficient use of cap resources when you're paying Channing Frye a max contract.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - haveitall - 06-03-2021

Some observations on KP:

1. He needs a lot of shots to get a rhythm.  He typically misses a few then makes more later.
2. A lot of times his basketball IQ is not good.  He bites on fakes, he takes heavily contested shots.  
3. His body language is really down this year.  He might be a good soldier, but he is really down on himself and the way he is being used as a decoy.
4. Clippers are a bad match up for him.  They have a lot of players who can get steals, and who can slide past him on offense.

I hope if the mavs make it to round 2 he can get back into rhythm.

(06-03-2021, 11:46 AM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: I mean, this is why he didn't want to play the 4 ... because he knew that he was going to basically be relegated to Channing Frye.   All he can do is be an efficient version of Channing Frye given the opportunities, which he was shooting 50% , including 50% from 3PT.  And it's probably the Mavs best shot at winning, but no  doublt it's still an incredibly inefficient use of cap resources when you're paying Channing Frye a max contract.

No kidding. That's why he has to go this summer. KP still has enough perceived value that you can get decent return.

(06-03-2021, 11:56 AM)haveitall Wrote: 4. Clippers are a bad match up for him.  They have a lot of players who can get steals, and who can slide past him on offense.

I hope if the mavs make it to round 2 he can get back into rhythm.

This is all the more reason for him to just play the winning hand and try to survive to the next round. Maybe in another matchup where Jazz have to play Gobert 35 mpg KP is able to have an easier time. This again obviously helps the Mavs as a team and helps KP improve his reputation.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - MaxiThreeba - 06-03-2021

This is the version (Channing Frye) of KP that gives the Mavs the best chance this series.  Clips will stay honest on him because they know he can go nuclear.  It's hard to watch and no doubt harder to willingly execute for KP.

If he doesn't want to be relegated to this role in big moments then he has two choices:

1- Demand a trade
2- Figure out how to be a roll man and not just a slip or pop guy.  This process would include a dedicated offseason of conditioning, proper targeted strength training, exhaustive film study, picking a guy like DP's brain, working on finally becoming a competent screener, and commitment from both he and Luka to put in the hours and reps to create that trust and comfort.

If KP was a legit roll threat then all the Unicorn aspects of his game are immediately back on the table.  Now the popping and slipping of the picks are actually counter balanced by the threat of him rolling and catching lobs.  It's the piece of the Luka-KP pairing I think most everyone thought would be a big factor.

(06-03-2021, 12:12 PM)MaxiThreeba Wrote: 1- Demand a trade

I don't think he has to demand a trade bc Mavs are smart enough to see he's not a max player. He is going to get traded this offseason.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - HanspardsShowerVoice - 06-03-2021

(06-03-2021, 12:04 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: No kidding. That's why he has to go this summer. KP still has enough perceived value that you can get decent return.

Mostly looking at swapping him for another bad max contract who might possibly be a better fit, kinda like the Wizards and Rockets did with Westbrook and Wall.   I'm still secretly hoping for a McCollum for KP straight up swap if the Blazers get bounced in the first round.    Dame's window is closing.   They can't keep trotting McCollum and Dame duo out there to be early round playoff fodder, especially if they're getting bounced in the first round by Nuggets team without Murray, and they're probably going to resign Norman Powell just to justify the trade.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - michaeltex - 06-03-2021

Wasn't the line on KP before his draft something like "sweet shooting 7+ footer with guard-like ball skills"?

I contend that he's never had to focus on being a back-to-the-basket inside guy. 

What I hope is that he get's through this post season run healthy, however long it lasts, and has the ability to work on shoring up his game in the offseason. In my ideal world, he'd stay in DAL and work with the staff to develop skills to live up to his contract. But he'll probably go back to Latvia and we won't hear much until September...unless he gets traded.

(06-03-2021, 12:19 PM)michaeltex Wrote: Wasn't the line on KP before his draft something like "sweet shooting 7+ footer with guard-like ball skills"?

I contend that he's never had to focus on being a back-to-the-basket inside guy. 

What I hope is that he get's through this post season run healthy, however long it lasts, and has the ability to work on shoring up his game in the offseason. In my ideal world, he'd stay in DAL and work with the staff to develop skills to live up to his contract. But he'll probably go back to Latvia and we won't hear much until September...unless he gets traded.

My big thing is I'm not sure with his injuries that he's ever going to be good enough offensively to compensate for the defensive liabilities, and we're continuing to see the trend of bigs who can't guard the perimeter getting exploited in the playoffs.    Just really hard to hide them.    Like everyone was making a big deal about Thibs bringing bully ball defense back to the NBA, and the Hawks offense just absolutely merked the Knicks.   Drummond is just downright unplayable in the Lakers games.   

But there are certain matchups where KP can still be usefull ... if he could pull Rudy out of the paint in Round 2, that would be a huge asset.

(06-03-2021, 12:19 PM)michaeltex Wrote: But he'll probably go back to Latvia and we won't hear much until September...unless he gets traded.

Exactly ^^

(06-03-2021, 12:23 PM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: But there are certain matchups where KP can still be useful ... if he could pull Rudy out of the paint in Round 2, that would be a huge asset.

If Mavs do advanced, Rudy will be on DFS and a smaller player will be on KP. This is part of the problem. KP doesn't play like a 7'3 player. He doesn't use his height to his advantage. Boban who is also a lot bigger plays sort of like how you expect a guy who is much taller than everyone else. He just runs to the basket and catches the ball above the other guys who are like 6 inches shorter than him. KP can't seem to do that. So they will just put Bojan on him (guessing) and have Rudy dare DFS to hit 3 pointers. That would basically be the series, whether or not DFS can punish the Jazz.

But we can't worry ab that right now, bc Mavs still have to try to get one more win against the Clips which won't be easy.

(06-03-2021, 12:18 PM)HanspardsShowerVoice Wrote: Mostly looking at swapping him for another bad max contract who might possibly be a better fit, kinda like the Wizards and Rockets did with Westbrook and Wall.   I'm still secretly hoping for a McCollum for KP straight up swap if the Blazers get bounced in the first round.    Dame's window is closing.   They can't keep trotting McCollum and Dame duo out there to be early round playoff fodder, especially if they're getting bounced in the first round by Nuggets team without Murray, and they're probably going to resign Norman Powell just to justify the trade.

Mavs would do McCollum in 2 seconds. Not sure that deal would happen bc it seems like a lateral move at best for Blazers. I don't think this is as bad as a Wall situation but it could get there if Mavs don't move him ASAP.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - SwisherPrice - 06-03-2021

Both sides are just counting down until the offseason is here so they can finally start making moves to trade him. "Bubble KP" isn't coming back...they will have to see how far they can go in the playoffs now with the $30 mil role player stretch big man.

RC has to go out of his way to praise him just so that KP doesn't pull a 2015 Rondo and completely quits