MavsBoard
HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS (/showthread.php?tid=56)

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - StepBackJay - 06-02-2021

(06-02-2021, 12:36 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Should be at least 15m left to upgrade the front court. And the rE.
Let´s say THJ+Fournier 35m, Smart 14.3m. RW3 is still on a rookie deal.

Ya it really depends on the salaries of all these guys. I am conservatively saying you might wind up with 10 mil either in cap space or MLE at least to add a starting caliber player.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - dirkfansince1998 - 06-02-2021

(06-02-2021, 12:34 PM)TXBamanut Wrote: Without KP --- 9-10 - https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/dallas-mavericks-record-without-porzingis-since-2021
With KP --- 26-17 - https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/mavericks-record-when-porzingis-plays-2021

Doesn't look better to me...where it counts most.

I think your KP hate is making you irrational by some weird advanced metric that doesn't put you in the playoffs.  Let's just change his nickname from the "Unicorn" to the "Scapegoat" or the "Whipping Boy"...

15-13 without him for the season. Winning record without the highest paid player. -4.9 on/off. -0.7 on court. Mavs are getting outscored when KP is on the floor. That´s not some irrational advanced metric. Simply what happens when KP is playing. Obviously a lineup stat so it might not be his fault but looking at the entire team it is pretty obvious that something is wrong. KP ranks last among rotation players. Only one close is Richardson (-4.7 on/off). Difference is that Richardson lost his starting spot. KP continues to be a net negative in the playoffs.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Tyler - 06-02-2021

(06-02-2021, 09:49 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: We are all forgetting rule number 1 here:

Never trade with Danny Ainge

Problem solved. Smile

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Mavs2021 - 06-02-2021

So Carlisle allegedly told Rondo that he should learn how to shoot instead, after Rondo beat him at Connect 4.

I´m sure Carlisle and Marcus Smart would get along fantastically well.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - StepBackJay - 06-02-2021

(06-02-2021, 12:50 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: 15-13 without him for the season. Winning record without the highest paid player. -4.9 on/off. -0.7 on court. Mavs are getting outscored when KP is on the floor. That´s not some irrational advanced metric. Simply what happens when KP is playing. Obviously a lineup stat so it might not be his fault but looking at the entire team it is pretty obvious that something is wrong. KP ranks last among rotation players. Only one close is Richardson (-4.7 on/off). Difference is that Richardson lost his starting spot. KP continues to be a net negative in the playoffs.

Ya we saw Mavs get some big wins in that stretch. If you take out games that had Luka out the record is even better. At least two of those losses had no Luka.

Mavs were able to run their normal offense for 48 minutes without KP and were better defensively with the big rotation of WCS/Maxi/DP/Melli. In some matchups they were able to do a lot of switching. I remember that Jazz matchup where Mavs played a lot of Melli who had a great defensive game. On offense DFS punished the Jazz who had Gobert on him all game.

Unless Mavs can find a 5 that can shoot outside and rim protect (ie Turner type and there aren't a lot of those), then the best thing to do is have a committee approach where Rick can make changes based on the need of the moment. When you have a maxed out KP you have to start him every game. I would much rather give Rick 4 guys he can swap in or out based on the matchup. Even if he has a "default" frontcourt some nights he will give certain guys more minutes (WCS being a good example) based on what's working.

(06-02-2021, 01:41 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: I´m sure Carlisle and Marcus Smart would get along fantastically well.

We need Smart's intensity. It's fine having nice guys on your roster but wouldn't you like Smart up in PatBev's bitch face?

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - ballsrchr - 06-02-2021

(06-02-2021, 11:46 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Are we overrating Smart perhaps a bit? Sure he's an emotional leader and his defense, when he's on, is All-NBA level.

But he's also a horrid scorer. He at times becomes a black hole (at least thats what avid Celts fan Bill Simmons says). Trading KP for him would be a step back.

I like Smart. I just don't know if he'd be a good fit around Luka especially because he can't space the floor.

Another way to think of it as, does Smart bring something new to the table that Josh Richardson didn't have? And seeing how Richardson failed mostly because he couldn't space the floor, I'm wary to bring Smart in to play that same role.

I never did like Smart much.  I also believe he has peaked and is a good ways down the slippery slope.  I would hope the MBT looks elsewhere.  If I had to choose...I'd take JR.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - TXBamanut - 06-02-2021

(06-02-2021, 12:50 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: 15-13 without him for the season. Winning record without the highest paid player. -4.9 on/off. -0.7 on court. Mavs are getting outscored when KP is on the floor. That´s not some irrational advanced metric. Simply what happens when KP is playing. Obviously a lineup stat so it might not be his fault but looking at the entire team it is pretty obvious that something is wrong. KP ranks last among rotation players. Only one close is Richardson (-4.7 on/off). Difference is that Richardson lost his starting spot. KP continues to be a net negative in the playoffs.

Yeah, I actually tried to delete that because I didn't look at the with Luka, but not KP numbers....the no Luka numbers made it look more even.  I would say that the teams we played would factor in that as well.  I'm going to point out as well, that the lineups he plays with should be running the offense through him, but they don't...they still just sit him in the corner and try to make him a decoy and without Luka, OF COURSE, they are going to look worse.  If you put someone in, depend totally on his weaknesses and totally avoid his strengths, he's obviously going to have a bad metric...if you set him up to not contribute, he won't contribute.

Before you say, we are forced feeding him the ball...tell me, seriously, how many times have you seen that screen throw to the wing and immediately drop the ball into KP on the block for the quick hook?  Answer:  You don't.  I honestly was talking with someone the other day going "why doesn't he have a jump hook?"...then they ran the play for it, he scored in quick fashion on Sunday annnnnnnddd...never ran it again.  It was unbelievable that an entry pass actually was good and on time, and he immediatley turned and scored.  It looked, honestly, like something off a highlight reel of him in New York, where he got a lot of quick passes in rhythm...that never happens here.  He may just not be the guy here, but it's not just that KP is crap, like you guys seem to keep saying over and over...we don't know how to use him effectively beyond token touches in stretches to say they did.

People actually talk about thinks like "why doesn't he just rebound and dunk like Embiid" (I actually say this on Twitter, like it was just "duh" with a pile of hearts)...one Embiid outweighs KP by 50 pounds, and plays nearer the goal.  They rarely ever have him guarding the perimter and because they run the offense through him, they have to have someone to guard Embiid, so he rarely ends up guarding a guy at the perimeter on defense, or sitting at the 3 point line on offense..both positions are hard to rebound from, especially when you are depending on height rather than quickness and power, and aren't a good rebounder to start with....and KP isn't.

I still think you are doing a 2+2=3 thing, because I sincerely doubt that if we played the Clipps 5 games with KP and 5 games without him (or any other playoff contender...maybe ESPECIALLY any other playoff contender) that we would say that we were better.  I doubt if we just subbed in Davis Bertans (who's probably 70% of KP's talent) that we'd be better.

I think a good amount of you have made him the scapegoat and are on a search for any metric that could be stretched to make yourself think he's trash.  That's cool.  I'm a Mavs fan, so I'm a KP fan as long as he's a Mav....and while he is a Mav, I want him to play well.  I'm cool trading him and getting something wonderful, but as long as he looks terrible, you aren't getting Robert Williams III for him...please....seriously??????  Dan, come on.

I think that fans in general get the "grass is always greener" syndrome and underrate the players they hate, overrate the players they like (me too in that btw) and thank the Lord, we aren't GMs or we'd probably have the worst team ever.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - TXBamanut - 06-02-2021

(06-02-2021, 01:41 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: So Carlisle allegedly told Rondo that he should learn how to shoot instead, after Rondo beat him at Connect 4.

I´m sure Carlisle and Marcus Smart would get along fantastically well.

You might find out that Marcus Smart, as he declines physically, becomes the new better version of Wes Matthews that Carlisle always wanted.  Wink

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - burekemde - 06-02-2021

(06-02-2021, 04:59 PM)TXBamanut Wrote: Yeah, I actually tried to delete that because I didn't look at the with Luka, but not KP numbers....the no Luka numbers made it look more even.  I would say that the teams we played would factor in that as well.

I still think you are doing a 2+2=3 thing, because I sincerely doubt that if we played the Clipps 5 games with KP and 5 games without him (or any other playoff contender...maybe ESPECIALLY any other playoff contender) that we would say that we were better.  I doubt if we just subbed in Davis Bertans (who's probably 70% of KP's talent) that we'd be better.

I think a good amount of you have made him the scapegoat and are on a search for any metric that could be stretched to make yourself think he's trash.  That's cool.  I'm a Mavs fan, so I'm a KP fan as long as he's a Mav....and while he is a Mav, I want him to play well.

I think that fans in general get the "grass is always greener" syndrome and underrate the players they hate, overrate the players they like and thank the Lord, we aren't GMs or we'd probably have the worst team ever.

There is no doubt that there are elements of what you are writing here. I think the reason he is scapegoat is a valid one, in the sense that he was supposed to play a lot a lot a lot a lot a lot (at least 5x fold) better than he is right now. What is even worse is that he indeed has played a lot a lot a lot (3x fold) better for the Mavs previously, even in the same scheme that is used now. He was previously protecting the paint as the best of them in the NBA. He was way better offensively, and much more importantly he gave a much better effort than he is now and looked a better part of the team chemistry wise. He also looked more healthy and athletic.

Hence, I think the criticism is valid. He was supposed to be an all star, but he doesnt play like one. He gets the money of one. He doesnt play like one. He doesnt have the impact that was supposed to have and that he is payed to create.

That being said, the other extreme is also not true. Yes, we are better with KP than Bertrans, Powell, Boban, etc. etc. He does make us better. It is just not enough to meet the rather big expectations.

The by far the worst thing is that he has regressed. In the same scheme surrounded by pretty much the same players. He has lost chemistry with the team, effort, athleticism, stats, basically everything has regressed in his game. Hence it is not due to change in scheme, but simply something to do with KP himself internally. It might be injury, it might be mental. But the fact is, he has regressed. I think its valid that many fans are not happy. There are other reasons if we dont win the title this season, even several or many. But this might easy be the biggest one, the regression of KP.

He is still one of our best players, but due to hin not meeting the expectations, it plays a huge role of us contending or not. Most other players have improved. Starting from Luka, THJ, DFS, Maxi (shooting) etc. We finished the season better position than last season. We give more fight against Clippers as a team. But one player that did actually regressed in the other direction, that is KP.

(06-02-2021, 05:13 PM)burekemde Wrote: There is no doubt that there are elements of what you are writing here. I think the reason he is scapegoat is a valid one, in the sense that he was supposed to play a lot a lot a lot a lot a lot (at least 5x fold) better than he is right now. What is even worse is that he indeed has played a lot a lot a lot (3x fold) better for the Mavs previously, even in the same scheme that is used now. He was previously protecting the paint as the best of them in the NBA. He was way better offensively, and much more importantly he gave a much better effort than he is now and looked a better part of the team chemistry wise. He also looked more healthy and athletic.

Hence, I think the criticism is valid. He was supposed to be an all star, but he doesnt play like one. He gets the money of one. He doesnt play like one. He doesnt have the impact that was supposed to have and that he is payed to create.

That being said, the other extreme is also not true. Yes, we are better with KP than Bertrans, Powell, Boban, etc. etc. He does make us better. It is just not enough to meet the rather big expectations.

The by far the worst thing is that he has regressed. In the same scheme surrounded by pretty much the same players. He has lost chemistry with the team, effort, athleticism, stats, basically everything has regressed in his game. Hence it is not due to change in scheme, but simply something to do with KP himself internally. It might be injury, it might be mental. But the fact is, he has regressed. I think its valid that many fans are not happy. There are other reasons if we dont win the title this season, even several or many. But this might easy be the biggest one, the regression of KP.

He is still one of our best players, but due to hin not meeting the expectations, it plays a huge role of us contending or not. Most other players have improved. Starting from Luka, THJ, DFS, Maxi (shooting) etc. We finished the season better position than last season. We give more fight against Clippers as a team. But one player that did actually regressed in the other direction, that is KP.

Let me be clear...TOTALLY disappointed with the results of him, his attitude (seemingly) and just the overall season so far.

He definitely has regressed, but I think that is literally an inability rather than dogging it.   I think the last injury, either he came back too soon coupled with the overburdening schedule, or he's just cooked from a lateral movement perspective, I don't know, but it is sad.  Either way, you have to treat him like a big man.  If he wants to get on the block, then why don't we run baseline screens in the paint, and help him get good position on the block?  When he gets there, why don't we pass it?  Why CAN'T our guards make an entry pass that doesn't make him move off the position he got?  He's not great at the position but we can't do it timely or on target?  Why is the only way he can get there is high screen, switch, pass through lane to corner the only way he gets the ball?  Is that him or the offense?  I don't know, but it's not working.

I just continue to push back against people who go "we can't try to integrate him" or like that is some burden on Luka...You have to integrate whoever...especially a big man.  I think last year, he was more like a wing who was tall, and his lack of mobility has made him more of a big man, if he's going to be integrated.  The problem is that he's not strong enough to be an Embiid...so I'm not sure what's up.

He's talked early in the season about seeing things and being a step slow and just can't get there on time...that's concerning, because it's more his body won't do what he wants it to do.  Half a step kills on shot blocking, recovery, rebounding and switches defensively.  The other night on the drive that Paul George got a foul on him, sticks out in my mind...half a step is the difference between that foul and a block.  

It's just frustrating...

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Aussiebballer - 06-02-2021

Could KP and Sabonis play together?
If the Pacers think so then maybe a KP for Turner deal?

(06-02-2021, 07:28 PM)Aussiebballer Wrote: Could KP and Sabonis play together?
If the Pacers think so then maybe a KP for Turner deal?

I doubt they would see KP + Sabonis as an improvement when Turner + Sabonis is already sort of an awkward fit.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - ItsGoTime - 06-02-2021

I see Sabonis as a better Adams type. A guy that is big enough to muck things up for the biggest guys in the league, however, he also knows how to score. His fit with KP would depend on KP being ok with sitting on the perimeter when in the game with Sabonis.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - ThisIStheYear - 06-03-2021

I know it sounds nuts, but Zinger wasn’t that awful tonight.  He wasn’t max worthy, but he was better than the stat line says.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Dahlsim - 06-03-2021

(06-03-2021, 12:37 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: I know it sounds nuts, but Zinger wasn’t that awful tonight.  He wasn’t max worthy, but he was better than the stat line says.

I thought the minutes with KP playing PF next to Boban at center helped preserve and protect him.  He was able to take less of the pounding as LA had to focus on guarding and hacking Bobi.  The defensive length of the 2 of them was also remarked on by the commentators, very disruptive of the Clip offense. 

Yeah, KP still hasn't looked like he's found a groove yet, but in the scheme of things his size and his spacing threat (actually made a big timely 3) was part of a winning strategy.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - ItsGoTime - 06-03-2021

KP (9.6% usage) and Bobi (19.9% usage) got 6 shots each and were much more accurate than THJ (21.4% usage). He can’t control a game plan to freeze himself out and make himself a decoy/bailout choice where everyone else was a better option than him to the players on the court. Glad he hit that final 3 when RC finally made the team pass to him.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - DanSchwartzgan - 06-03-2021

(06-02-2021, 09:26 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: The KP equation is so tricky.  You have fit issues, is he happy, does Luka like him, and the ever present injury concerns.  I maintain the easiest and quickest way for the Mavs to be a contender is getting KP to play to his potential.   

I look at the names you mention above, I like several of those guys.  Am intrigued by others.   You mention the Mavs have played better when KP is off the floor and that is a good point.  But I just keep on coming back to the point is how do the mavs elevate themselves to contender status against teams like a healthy Brooklyn, a healthy Denver, a healthy Philadelphia, etc moving forward.   The guys listed above are good players, but I don't know if any move the needle.   The Stephen Adams, Bertans, etc are just guys imo.   Some may help long term, but I think it just leaves us as a team that doesn't have enough.

So I am still holding out for KP to work here.   It doesn't look good now.  But I would hate to trade him without me seeing how I think he should be utilized.

This is where I've been too.  Part of it is I didn't think a KP trade was likely.  Part of it is you can't do any better than a healthy and engaged KP by trading KP.  The question, of course, is are we ever going to get a healthy and engaged KP.

Defensively, it wouldn't be that hard to improve upon what he gives us.  And, D is our biggest opportunity for improvement.  As has been noted, we can run a more switch heavy scheme when KP isn't playing.  We lose 6.8 points per 48 defensively with KP in the game.  Yes, he helps the O to the tune of 2.5 points, but it isn't like the O dies when Powell or Willie are in the game.

I think the way to think of this isn't just who you get back from the other team.  It's also that plus who you get in free agency.  A trade could help that to the extent we add cap room as part of the process.  I'd probably take Boston out of the running for any deal that adds to their salary.  But, if you look at the example of a Rozier/McDaniel deal using some of Charlotte's cap space, we add $12mm in space.  Rozier can be that playmaking guard we need.  McDaniels can develop into a nice bench PF and now you have up to $46mm to find a center and sixth man (maybe THJ, but there will be other guys in that price range too...I don't see Boston keeping Fournier unless they ship out someone).  Even if JRich opts in, there is enough money for Holmes and Hardaway (or someone like him)  The question is whether the following is better than what you might imagine if you kept KP (and THJ and JRich) and had only the MLE to improve.  I think the team below is better than what we have now and getting "only" Rozier and McDaniels isn't exactly a big haul for KP.

Holmes/Powell/Willie
Maxi/McDaniels/Bey
DFS/THJ/Green
Rozier/THJ/Green
Luka/Brunson/Terry

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo - 06-03-2021

(06-03-2021, 07:45 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Holmes/Powell/Willie
Maxi/McDaniels/Bey
DFS/THJ/Green
Rozier/THJ/Green
Luka/Brunson/Terry

I really like Rozier.
Good catch-and-shoot player.
Has range. Can pull up from anywhere.
Has the in-between game.
Can make smart passes.
Can penetrate and finish among the trees.

Would be a good number 2 option that can come off from screens or produce in iso when Luka needs to take a breather.

Rozier actually makes THJ expendable but wouldn't hurt to still have him, but in case THJ is too expensive to keep and the Finish wants to be a Mav:

Holmes/DP/WCS
Lauri/Maxi/Mcdaniels/Bey
DFS/Green/Mcdaniels/Bey
Rozier/Green/Sterling Brown/Burke
Luka/Brunson/Terry

or if the Mavs wants a direct THJ replacement but cheaper:

Holmes/DP/WCS
Maxi/Lyles/Mcdaniels/Bey
DFS/Burks/Mcdaniels/Bey
Rozier/Burks/Green/Burke
Luka/Brunson/Terry

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - vfromlmf - 06-03-2021

I just can't believe how passive KP is playing. Sure, he knocked down one good look but he was clearly the 5th option late in the game. I'd rather see just about in any shot from Luka, any THJ or DFS three, or Powell/Bobi in the paint than give the ball to KP in the final 5 minutes. He just looks mechanical, unsure, and way out of sync. A turnover waiting to happen. Really sucks to see.