MavsBoard
HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS (/showthread.php?tid=56)

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Omega_Supreme - 05-31-2021

I think KP is a high volume iso scoring big. He is essentially a 7-3 Allen Iverson which is extremely rare. 
  • He is below average posting up
  • He is below average scoring in the paint with limited post counters 
KP needs to play isolated much in the same way KD plays on the perimeter. The issue is, the space KP wants to occupy is already occupied by Luka. 

The Mavs need to pair Luka with a True Big man that can set screens and score inside. Prime Demarcus Cousins would be the best type of big to pair with Luka. 

Again these are my two cents but Donnie completely misfired for thinking that KP being a 7 foot European white guy was a Dirk clone. He is completely opposite to everything Dirk was with the exception of shooting from the outside with Dirk being vastly better.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - SleepingHero - 06-01-2021

(05-31-2021, 11:11 PM)Omega_Supreme Wrote: Again these are my two cents but Donnie completely misfired for thinking that KP being a 7 foot European white guy was a Dirk clone. He is completely opposite to everything Dirk was with the exception of shooting from the outside with Dirk being vastly better.

If you think the KP trade was a mistake that is some MASSIVE 20/20 goggles you got there my friend.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - ballsrchr - 06-01-2021

(05-31-2021, 10:47 PM)cjeter24 Wrote: Yeah I agree that he's not getting enough support. We need to improve the team. 

Luka's great but the slight concern is that he dictates how everyone else gets their shots. It's how he wants to give it to them and not necessarily what may be best for that player. Basically almost all the shots he creates are open shots off what he's doing to draw the defense in and not him running the offense and getting guys shot. It's the Lebron versus Chris Paul approach. Luka is waaaaaaaay too much Lebron right now with how the offense is being ran right now. Like the entire offense is let Luka break it down and open shots will come off that. 

Lebron has won 4 titles that way. But I'm not entirely sure that's the best approach. He had a flukey one with Bogut injury/Draymond suspension and he's had elite all star talent next to him in all of them. The narrative was at the end of Miami and at times in the 2nd stint in Cleveland "Lebron needs help"... And he had a ton of it. I've long wondered if Lebron played a slightly different style if he had won more titles. Plus asking Luka to be like Lebron over his entire career is a huge ask. 

Point being... With the style Luka and the Mavs are playing atm, better talent may not result in better results.

Excellent point(s)!  Then I would say it is incumbent on the coaches to help Luka recognize this and guide him to better long term results.  Even a player as gifted as Luka can develop bad habits.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - ballsrchr - 06-01-2021

(05-31-2021, 11:11 PM)Omega_Supreme Wrote: I think KP is a high volume iso scoring big. He is essentially a 7-3 Allen Iverson which is extremely rare. 
  • He is below average posting up
  • He is below average scoring in the paint with limited post counters 
KP needs to play isolated much in the same way KD plays on the perimeter. The issue is, the space KP wants to occupy is already occupied by Luka. 

The Mavs need to pair Luka with a True Big man that can set screens and score inside. Prime Demarcus Cousins would be the best type of big to pair with Luka. 

Again these are my two cents but Donnie completely misfired for thinking that KP being a 7 foot European white guy was a Dirk clone. He is completely opposite to everything Dirk was with the exception of shooting from the outside with Dirk being vastly better.

I have the same goggles you have.  Dirk, without a massive ego and the ability to play with anyone, would have been perfect to pair with Luka.  KP...isn't.  Prime Cousins would have certainly been worth a shot.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - StepBackJay - 06-01-2021

The Wiz package is growing at me bc I really like Bryant in this system. His defense I have read has shown some improvement and I don't think he would be any worse than KP who is terrible. On offense he is a great fit. Bertans would be in the package and is a shooter plus does some other things. The other piece or pieces likely involved would be 1 or more of Avdija, Rui and their 15th overall pick.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - SleepingHero - 06-01-2021

(06-01-2021, 11:25 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: The Wiz package is growing at me bc I really like Bryant in this system.
Bryant with a torn ACL scares the hell outta me.

I'd actually call POR up and see if they want KP for CJ. If they lose once again in the first round I'm sure they'll start to feel the pressure of building around Dame and his fit next to McCollum.

POR has been trying to get a stretch big for years. Kevin Love has been that name for a LONG time. KP is younger and fills that role. Nurkic also kinda fits well next to KP. 

I can see it happening.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Benskix2 - 06-01-2021

I think KP could be the focal point of a really good NBA offense.  BUUUT, if you can't be relied on to be on the court then a team would be stupid to design an offense that caters to your skill set. 

And I think it is unfair to ask Luka to go out of his way to constantly try and reintegrate KP in the offense when KP is unavailable or limited 40% of the time.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - StepBackJay - 06-01-2021

(06-01-2021, 11:41 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Bryant with a torn ACL scares the hell outta me.

I'd actually call POR up and see if they want KP for CJ. If they lose once again in the first round I'm sure they'll start to feel the pressure of building around Dame and his fit next to McCollum.

POR has been trying to get a stretch big for years. Kevin Love has been that name for a LONG time. KP is younger and fills that role. Nurkic also kinda fits well next to KP. 

I can see it happening.

I would gladly do CJ for KP but I would be surprised if they do a deal with each other. I am not sure how a KP/Nurkic frontcourt would work in the modern NBA.

With Bryant I like his contract situation to see how he comes back from his injury. I don't know ACL injuries but I imagine some are more severe than others? So ya ACL isn't good. It will be interested to see Dinwiddie, Isaac, Klay coming back from that (Klay obv also has achilles) and Bryant. He is young enough that he might be fine. Zach Lavine tore his ACL around the same age and has been fine. Again you get a year to see how he does.

(06-01-2021, 11:46 AM)Benskix2 Wrote: I think KP could be the focal point of a really good NBA offense.  BUUUT, if you can't be relied on to be on the court then a team would be stupid to design an offense that caters to your skill set. 

And I think it is unfair to ask Luka to go out of his way to constantly try and reintegrate KP in the offense when KP is unavailable or limited 40% of the time.

Yes

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - TXBamanut - 06-01-2021

(06-01-2021, 11:46 AM)Benskix2 Wrote: I think KP could be the focal point of a really good NBA offense.  BUUUT, if you can't be relied on to be on the court then a team would be stupid to design an offense that caters to your skill set. 

Why?  You do realize that any star you bring in is going to have to have Luka "go out of his way" to integrate that person into the offense.  If that person is a big man, it's going to have to be even MORE intentional.

Luka's a PG...that's a GIANT part of his job.  If he doesn't do integrate people, we'll need someone to...and if he's not doing it, part of that person's job will be to integrate him.

That's not a great statement the way it is expressed and it's not well thought out in the construction.  I'm guessing the biggest issue that you really mean is that KP isn't the person to waste energy integrating in here, because he's not the right guy for the Mavs...I get that, and that's valid, but this "we can't trouble Luka to constantly try to integrate people into the offense" crap has got to stop.  

And the bigger, more talented the star that people bring in, it's going to have to be more intentional to get him involved.  

And before everyone goes calling me a fan boy, I'm a pragmitist....I'm totally fine moving KP and it may be exactly what needs to happen.  It may be as much about how Luka plays, even more than KP.  Luka may not be able to integrate a big man who is meant to be a #2 star.  Luka's biggest help might be another playmaker ball handler star than a big man.  My biggest problem with moving KP has been his value is so low, we won't get much for him.  Which is one of the list of reasons that RC should have been more proactive in getting production from him, so he is actually an asset and not something we might have to attach an asset to so he can be moved.  It's also why we should have been troubling Luka to get him involved this year.

I don't think KP will ever be a productive onball defender and shot blocker like he used to be, unless this is still him getting over the injury/surgery in the off-season.  IN fact, I am highly concerned that he'll ever be right there again.  Maxi has totally declined in a year, and he wasn't injured like KP...or it could be mental from KP or whatever, but he can't do it now...clearly.

The latest idea would be to give Jimmy Butler a max extension that Miami might be hesitant to do. If you recall Rockets was in a similar position with CP3 after they decided to break up their core team. CP3 was traded for Harrell, Lou Williams and other stuff that turned into a pretty good trade for them all things considered.

So in this situation Mavs would trade KP for JB and give him a max extension. I think DFS in the deal would help as he is a cheap player that would be their starting SF and they would still be able to land Lowry on a big deal. Butler is at 36 mil so they would still have around the same cap space after the move.

For Dallas, they would operate over the cap to resign THJ and add a replacement wing with MLE.

Your starting lineup would be something like:

Luka
Butler
Hardaway
Maxi or MLE wing
Powell

I also think Brunson could be expendable for Mitchell Robinson if you wanted to still feature Hardaway as your main bench scorer.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - ItsGoTime - 06-01-2021

(06-01-2021, 01:44 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Luka
Butler
Hardaway
Maxi or MLE wing
Powell
Spinning our wheels is fun to do, fun to do, fun to do.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Benskix2 - 06-01-2021

(06-01-2021, 01:01 PM)TXBamanut Wrote: Why?  

Again, because he misses too much time to develop a consistent rhythm with his teammates or is too physically limited to be effective.  I think we would be better off with a player 75-80% of his skill level that played 30% more games.

(06-01-2021, 02:48 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Spinning our wheels is fun to do, fun to do, fun to do.

Butler is an actual star so no wheels being spun there

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - JREwing - 06-01-2021

Hello – long time lurker, just signed up here.

I think regardless of what anyone thinks about KP's fit here, it seems clear to me that KP himself isn't happy. How long does Dallas endure that while Luka is already performing at a championship-caliber level? 

If his attitude/body language on the court was a little less sullen, I could see maybe the MBT wanting to keep him for another year. It's possible, for instance, that he's still needing a little more time to regain strength & mobility after last years knee injury. 

But that hardly matters. KP (this is just eye test/anecdotal) seemed frustrated and/or bored on offense all year. Unless, of course, the rare games where Luka was injured or resting, and KP got to be 'the man'. Then he looked more comfortable. 

For that reason I think Rick, to some degree, has failed. KP is talented, and he should've found a scheme where Luka is Luka but where KP feels comfortable. Offensively, I mean. Defensively, I'm not sure what anyone could do with KP the way he's played this year. 

Also, Rick can't make those 10-ft turnaround shots for Kristaps, can he? If he wants to get the ball more instead of being a spacer on the perimeter, KP needs to make shots in that range. Maybe he does, and the misses are so ugly I just think he misses them a lot. But it sure seems like his touch near the basket or at mid-range is not good enough. He's no Dirk – or even Boban – in that sense. KP could also not cough up the ball every other time he puts it on the floor down low.

It's been maddening. If he was playing 75% up to his potential on both sides of the floor, Dallas would be a WCF-type team already. Luka is that effing good.

I don't know very well the rules on cap space, trades, and contracts etc. So this may be a totally dumb suggestion....But Pelicans also want Markannen, right? 

I think I read that somewhere. Anyway, if they do, they might also find KP enticing. I think I'd trade KP and JRich for Lonzo and Steven Adams. I guess there would be some sign-and-trade to make that happen – I think. Do y'all think that's crazy? 

Lonzo's eFG% is better than J-Rich, as his 3-point shooting this year was excellent. Not sure if his playmaking and Luka's mesh, but gosh that's a lot of court vision. Most importantly defense simply has to be better than JRich's was this year.

Steven Adams is a really good defender, and a banger. We could use that, considering WCS and DP give you finesse options, anyway. Rebounds the same as KP, and is more durable, too. To me, that's a trade that makes us MUCH better defensively without sacrificing much on offense.

Glad to have you @"JREwing"! I bet we are getting a bunch of folks now that the Mavs are in the playoffs.

I might do the Lonzo/Adams deal, I think JRich or Powell would have to be in it too to make the salaries work. Adams is a pretty good regular season player that is not going to be able to give you a lot of minutes in the playoffs.

In a series like Mavs/Clips Adams would probably not be playable when Clips went small. Adams is overpaid and is basically the "pill" the Pels would need you to take in order to relinquish Lonzo. I still think Adams is a useful player so I could live with him in order to land Lonzo.

Lonzo is a great backcourt fit next to Luka. I worry ab their FT shooting in the playoffs but that would be a problem for another day. The thing is you'd need Lonzo to want to come to Dallas and maybe he does, maybe he doesn't. Both Lonzo and the Pels have leverage in his final landing spot.

I haven't heard any Mavs interest yet but on paper the fit looks great. If you got Lonzo/Adams your rotations would be something like:

Luka/Brunson
Lonzo/Green
THJ/10+ mil wing
DFS/Maxi
Adams/Powell or WCS (Powell might wind up on Pels for salary matching)

So Luka would go back to largely having a rim-rolling 5 48 minutes a game. Lonzo is a great ball-mover. I think you could run this smallish lineup with four 6'6-6'7 guys next to a center. DFS offensively is better suited as a small PF even though some defensive matchups are hard for him when he has to face a bigger PF. A healthy Maxi or free agent wing could help with that.

Some people here would hate Adams but I think he's totally fine and helps especially in the regular season. If you get a guy like Batum then you could run your own small-ball lineup in the playoffs (healthy Maxi on occasion has been okay in very limited action at the 5). Sign me up.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - JREwing - 06-01-2021

(06-01-2021, 04:43 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Glad to have you @"JREwing"! I bet we are getting a bunch of folks now that the Mavs are in the playoffs.

I might do the Lonzo/Adams deal, I think JRich or Powell would have to be in it too to make the salaries work. Adams is a pretty good regular season player that is not going to be able to give you a lot of minutes in the playoffs.

In a series like Mavs/Clips Adams would probably not be playable when Clips went small. Adams is overpaid and is basically the "pill" the Pels would need you to take in order to relinquish Lonzo. I still think Adams is a useful player so I could live with him in order to land Lonzo.

Lonzo is a great backcourt fit next to Luka. I worry ab their FT shooting in the playoffs but that would be a problem for another day. The thing is you'd need Lonzo to want to come to Dallas and maybe he does, maybe he doesn't. Both Lonzo and the Pels have leverage in his final landing spot.

I haven't heard any Mavs interest yet but on paper the fit looks great. If you got Lonzo/Adams your rotations would be something like:

Luka/Brunson
Lonzo/Green
THJ/10+ mil wing
DFS/Maxi
Adams/Powell or WCS (Powell might wind up on Pels for salary matching)

So Luka would go back to largely having a rim-rolling 5 48 minutes a game. Lonzo is a great ball-mover. I think you could run this smallish lineup with four 6'6-6'7 guys next to a center. DFS offensively is better suited as a small PF even though some defensive matchups are hard for him when he has to face a bigger PF. A healthy Maxi or free agent wing could help with that.

Some people here would hate Adams but I think he's totally fine and helps especially in the regular season. If you get a guy like Batum then you could run your own small-ball lineup in the playoffs (healthy Maxi on occasion has been okay in very limited action at the 5). Sign me up.

Yeah, good point: Adams is not the most versatile 5. Would we be worse on D with him instead of Kristaps this series? Gotta think even with the small-ball, we'd be at least a little better. Hard to imagine being softer than we were last 2 games. SA would probably keep PG from waltzing to the basket.

I mean, it would be awesome to have an Anthony Davis, Embiid, Jokic or KAT on our team, but thinking realistically it's pretty hard to think of a great fit for Dallas that can actually be had.

I think if you have a traditional 5 in the rotation its fine as long as you are not stuck with playing that player 32 mpg all year long and into the playoffs even in bad matchups because you are paying him a max contract.

Adams is a guy that will still work for a lot of matchups. Mavs might keep Maxi who if he ever gets healthy again can be a okay small 5 in some situations. WCS/Maxi have been a good combo at times, Powell/Maxi have been a good combo at times. All that to say you need a committee approach unless you have a bonafide stud 5 that can guard the basket and the perimeter, which most teams don't have.

I think with Lonzo being an excellent perimeter defender that helps your defense and Mavs have the option to find another wing that could potentially upgrade their starting defense, taking either THJ or DFS' spot in the lineup. DFS is also better when he is not the number one defensive option.

(06-01-2021, 05:01 PM)JREwing Wrote: Yeah, good point: Adams is nt the most versatile 5. Would we be worse on D with him instead of Kristaps this series? Gotta think even with the small-ball, we'd be at least a little better. Hard to imagine being softer than we were last 2 games. SA would probably keep PG from waltzing to the basket.

I mean, it would be awesome to have an Anthony Davis, Embiid, Jokic or KAT on our team, but thinking realistically it's pretty hard to think of a great fit for Dallas that can actually be had.

Thanks for making an account and joining the conversation.

I really like Steven Adams. He would bring that "toughness" that I think most of us are saying this team is lacking. Sure he is a dinosaur in the sense that he doesn't stretch the floor but he rebounds well, and can move his feet. 

But I'm a little hung up on your Lonzo/Adams for KP trade. Mostly because I think Adams can be had for pennies on the dollar right now. If anything the team taking him should be getting rewarded given his contract status and iffy fit on NOP.  Something simple as WCS+2nd rounder for Adams is around his value imo.

Lonzo would be the real prize but it'd require the Mavs overpaying him to even get him to agree to come here if he even wants to. And I don't think Lonzo is worth upwards of 20mm that he'll command from some desperate team like CHI or NYK. 

I think should the Mavs trade KP, Adams would be a fantastic replacement. Perhaps a modified deal where it's a 3 team trade between CHI/DAL/NOP

DAL gets: Adams/Markkannen/Hart
NOP gets: KP 
CHI gets: Lonzo/Terry

Here the Mavs turn KP into 3 players that are solid rotation pieces. While they aren't stars we essentially break KP's max into 3 contracts. I'd then try and canvas a trade for JRich where we can get back a better wing scorer/athleticism. Maybe call the Heat and see if they want a JRich for Robinson swap? 

Luka/Brunson
THJ/*Free agent/ Green
DFS/Hart
Markkannen/Kleber
Adams/Powell/WCS(?)/Boban

That's a solid team, albeit 1000% built around Luka and only Luka. Without him they'd barely make the playoffs which would have me worried.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Kammrath - 06-01-2021

(06-01-2021, 04:28 PM)JREwing Wrote: I'd trade KP and JRich for Lonzo and Steven Adams

HELL YES, to this.

Adams is definitely an improvement over KP defensively and Lonzo is a HUGE improvement over JR.