MavsBoard
HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS (/showthread.php?tid=56)

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - MFFL - 05-31-2021

(05-31-2021, 07:25 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: But my small nitpick, KP hits his first two shots last night and then Luka looks for him again on the next possession in the post.   It was either good defense, KP not sealing great or poor pass.   The game was so awful, I will not go back.   But there was a turnover.  After that, I don't believe KP got another shot for awhile.   If I am Luka, I would be trying to get 10 shots for KP in the first quarter.   If Luka hits his first two shots, Is there any doubt he will get 10 shots?  

Luka is a point guard but doesn't look for a particular player when he's passing the ball - Luka makes his move to score and then moves the ball if a better situation arises. Brunson is a scoring guard who can create for himself but doesn't look for anyone but himself

KP needs an old-school point guard who knows how to get the ball to him when he is in position to score (first 2 plays of the game) for KP to be a force

The only players who are going to be effective in Carlisle's current system are playing who are creators or role players who can shoot the ball. Collins, for example, would be KP 2.0

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - StepBackJay - 05-31-2021

2 realistic trade ideas:

1. KP for DR S&T. I think KP would trust SA to make the best use of him. SA's risk profile would be willing to take KP on for an expiring DR. For Mavs DR doesn't fix defense but he adds a lot to the offense. I think in any scenario you need a really good defensive 5 to help clean up mistakes from the perimeter. DR to me also makes Brunson potentially disposable if you want to move him for Mitchell Robinson. Otherwise Mavs would really need to hit on an 10 million dollar center.

2. KP for Wiggins/Minney. Oft cited but still relevant. Warriors have Draymond to clean up KP's mistakes on defense. Warriors would prob still be able to hold onto Wiseman or flip him for something else. I think Wiseman's stock is too low for them to move him right now. On offense they move the ball around a lot better and could get KP a lot of open shots. Wiggins would be a better 2-way starting wing or Mavs could move him for something else. The draft pick is also someone who could contribute or be moved along. After all that maneuvering Mavs would still have a post-THJ 10 mil-ish slot for another rotation player.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - dynamicalVoid - 05-31-2021

(05-31-2021, 07:25 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: Look, last night was a lost cause.  That Clippers team was the much better team.   And I didn't think KP was very good either (like everyone else).  

But my small nitpick, KP hits his first two shots last night and then Luka looks for him again on the next possession in the post.   It was either good defense, KP not sealing great or poor pass.   The game was so awful, I will not go back.   But there was a turnover.  After that, I don't believe KP got another shot for awhile.   If I am Luka, I would be trying to get 10 shots for KP in the first quarter.   If Luka hits his first two shots, Is there any doubt he will get 10 shots?    If we really want KP to be your number 2, then sometimes you need to treat him like that.   If DFS hits his first two shots, the team will not look for him.    I don't think you treat DFS and KP the same.  Now, KP deserves blame too, but I would liked to see him force fed especially after his first two makes.

It seems like players come over the top on KP like Batum did last night preventing the pass down low to KP when he seemed to have his man pinned. 

I dont get why that play seems to always end in disaster for the Mavs.   Is it bad passes?  Passer not anticipating the defender being able to come around and disrupt the pass to KP?  KP has weak hands?  KP has bad fundamentals/tools to create or make shot after receiving the ball?

KP seems to have these guys pinned for what should be an easy bucket...but doesnt end fruitfully.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - dirkfansince1998 - 05-31-2021

(05-31-2021, 10:11 AM)dynamicalVoid Wrote: It seems like players come over the top on KP like Batum did last night preventing the pass down low to KP when he seemed to have his man pinned. 

I dont get why that play seems to always end in disaster for the Mavs.   Is it bad passes?  Passer not anticipating the defender being able to come around and disrupt the pass to KP?  KP has weak hands?  KP has bad fundamentals/tools to create or make shot after receiving the ball?

KP seems to have these guys pinned for what should be an easy bucket...but doesnt end fruitfully.

Starts with the angle/position and KP has no clue where to post up. He just randomly pinns smaller defenders all over the court. Next important part is spacing. Cannot post up with a guy in the strong side corner and a big in the dunkers spot. Easy to help. Easy to jump the entry pass.
Maybe the Mavs need to bring back the "Dirk fadeaway" silhouette in the ellbow area. Perfect spot for a post up.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - dynamicalVoid - 05-31-2021

(05-31-2021, 10:29 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Starts with the angle/position and KP has no clue where to post up. He just randomly pinns smaller defenders all over the court. Next important part is spacing. Cannot post up with a guy in the strong side corner and a big in the dunkers spot. Easy to help. Easy to jump the entry pass.
Maybe the Mavs need to bring back the "Dirk fadeaway" silhouette in the ellbow area. Perfect spot for a post up.

This suggests bad coaching to me.   

KP is doing this regardless of what coaches have been coaching him?   He is not doing what needs to be done to post up the most effective way even though he has been taught this?

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Kammrath - 05-31-2021

(05-31-2021, 10:36 AM)dynamicalVoid Wrote: This suggests bad coaching to me. 

Either bad coaching or a player refusing to listen to coaching. 

I was saying months ago either KP or RC needs to go. That much is clear. I think it is KP, though RC leaving might be needed to get things shaken up.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - khaled1987 - 05-31-2021

(05-31-2021, 08:40 AM)omahen Wrote: Who is rim protector for the Clippers? I think it is more and more clear rare bigs can actually play in playoff basketball. I don't think center is a priority for the team.

Hmmm, Looking at other series
We had Ayton vs AD
Gobert vs VALANCIUNAS
Jokic vs Nurkic 

East has Giannis, Embiid, Adebayo, Capela. Knicks fans are crying over Robinson absence too.

If anything, this year has return of big men all over it.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - cjeter24 - 05-31-2021

(05-31-2021, 10:29 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Starts with the angle/position and KP has no clue where to post up. He just randomly pinns smaller defenders all over the court. Next important part is spacing. Cannot post up with a guy in the strong side corner and a big in the dunkers spot. Easy to help. Easy to jump the entry pass.

I don't think it's on KP. I think it's on the other guys getting him the ball. When you see a guy sealing the ball should already be on the way and they wait until after they see him seal before they pass. The pass is almost always late which gives defense the time to recover and break up the pass or strip. 

It's the same thing we saw most of the years post title for Dirk. Or post Kidd. Guys couldn't get him the ball. That's why we signed Calderon and it was better but outside of those years with him and 2012 Kidd, we really struggled getting the ball to Dirk in the post. 

That's a bit on Luka too for not working on that pass or focusing on KP enough to do it. And that might be the frustration from KP a bit too. Luka is a fantastic passer but he's almost selfish with his passing looking for the assists. Also a bit on coaching for not getting this worked out. 

We were yelling last night multiple times for guys to throw the ball into KP who had either sealed or clearly was about to. And half the time they'd just miss him. 

In short... I see why KP is frustrated as hell at times on the court. He'll get in his spots and get ignored. That being said he can't let it affect his game otherwise. 
It's been very apparent how much little on court chemistry we have. The entire offense is let Luka do his thing. I don't think we are going to win anything with that system, even with better players.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - dirkfansince1998 - 05-31-2021

(05-31-2021, 01:36 PM)cjeter24 Wrote: I don't think it's on KP. I think it's on the other guys getting him the ball. When you see a guy sealing the ball should already be on the way and they wait until after they see him seal before they pass. The pass is almost always late which gives defense the time to recover and break up the pass or strip. 

It's the same thing we saw most of the years post title for Dirk. Or post Kidd. Guys couldn't get him the ball. That's why we signed Calderon and it was better but outside of those years with him and 2012 Kidd, we really struggled getting the ball to Dirk in the post. 

That's a bit on Luka too for not working on that pass or focusing on KP enough to do it. And that might be the frustration from KP a bit too. Luka is a fantastic passer but he's almost selfish with his passing looking for the assists. Also a bit on coaching for not getting this worked out. 

We were yelling last night multiple times for guys to throw the ball into KP who had either sealed or clearly was about to. And half the time they'd just miss him. 

In short... I see why KP is frustrated as hell at times on the court. He'll get in his spots and get ignored. That being said he can't let it affect his game otherwise. 
It's been very apparent how much little on court chemistry we have. The entire offense is let Luka do his thing. I don't think we are going to win anything with that system, even with better players.

I think it is on the system that clearly isn´t build around post touches. The spacing with guys in both corners makes it really hard to get the ball in the ellbow area. As I mentioned. Help can come from the corner. Help can come from dunkers spot. Help can come from the top of the key. If you want to get the ball in the post. Get deep position and/or clear the side.
Earlier in the season I called it a power struggle between Luka and KP. One guy is posting up. The other is asking for the screen. It´s not as bad these days but the KP post ups still mess up the flow of the offense. That´s  obviously not only on him. Just shows that the fit isn´t good.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - StepBackJay - 05-31-2021

Kp is going to have to change his game and I don't think it's going to happen here. He is also not a max player anymore. My hope is that Mavs can trade him before his value drops any lower.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - SleepingHero - 05-31-2021

Wonder if ATL will give us Capela/Reddish for KP....

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - KillerLeft - 05-31-2021

(05-31-2021, 02:35 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Wonder if ATL will give us Capela/Reddish for KP....

Sold. 

That's fair value, maybe, but I don't see why ATL would want him. Can you help me there?

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - SleepingHero - 05-31-2021

(05-31-2021, 02:37 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Sold. 

That's fair value, maybe, but I don't see why ATL would want him. Can you help me there?

They're trying to recreate GSW/HOU 5 out offense. Capela is a solid piece for them but he's just a rim protector and rolls to the basket. He can't shoot and it limits their ideal offensive game plan. ATL theoretically would want KP for the same reasons GSW would want him. 5 out. Big guy. Can stretch the floor. Can rim roll too. Theoretically can protect the rim. Fits better next to JC.  

Mavs getting Capela would be the first step in trying to recreate HOU's death lineup with Harden/CP3/Capela. They were an absurd 46-2 or something like that when those 3 played. Luka plays a lot like Harden right? Well why wouldn't we get a dude that can catch a lob from anywhere? 

Reddish had a better 2nd year but still is a long ways away. He hasn't even played in the playoffs this year from injury (achilles soreness) so he shouldn't be thought as a core piece to their success. It essentially boils down to a Capela for KP swap and to me it makes sense to both teams. ATL gets a star. Mavs get a 2nd chance and a player that slots into a roll well here.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - loki - 05-31-2021

(05-31-2021, 10:02 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: 2 realistic trade ideas:

1. KP for DR S&T. I think KP would trust SA to make the best use of him. SA's risk profile would be willing to take KP on for an expiring DR. For Mavs DR doesn't fix defense but he adds a lot to the offense. I think in any scenario you need a really good defensive 5 to help clean up mistakes from the perimeter. DR to me also makes Brunson potentially disposable if you want to move him for Mitchell Robinson. Otherwise Mavs would really need to hit on an 10 million dollar center.

2. KP for Wiggins/Minney. Oft cited but still relevant. Warriors have Draymond to clean up KP's mistakes on defense. Warriors would prob still be able to hold onto Wiseman or flip him for something else. I think Wiseman's stock is too low for them to move him right now. On offense they move the ball around a lot better and could get KP a lot of open shots. Wiggins would be a better 2-way starting wing or Mavs could move him for something else. The draft pick is also someone who could contribute or be moved along. After all that maneuvering Mavs would still have a post-THJ 10 mil-ish slot for another rotation player.

#2 is my preferred realistic KP trade at the moment. This series is showing how badly the Mavs need another wing, and Wiggins has actually been solid defensively. I also like getting out of KP's 23-24 player option which could put the Mavs back in the free agent market in a really good year. However, if I'm Golden State I only give up pick 14 rather than the Minny pick and I probably demand DFS as well. 

If a trade like that goes down, I'd try to sign Holmes/THJ and call it an offseason.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - cjeter24 - 05-31-2021

(05-31-2021, 01:52 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: I think it is on the system that clearly isn´t build around post touches. The spacing with guys in both corners makes it really hard to get the ball in the ellbow area. As I mentioned. Help can come from the corner. Help can come from dunkers spot. Help can come from the top of the key. If you want to get the ball in the post. Get deep position and/or clear the side.
Earlier in the season I called it a power struggle between Luka and KP. One guy is posting up. The other is asking for the screen. It´s not as bad these days but the KP post ups still mess up the flow of the offense. That´s  obviously not only on him. Just shows that the fit isn´t good.

That's some fair points.

I'll say this. If you can't make it work offensively with a 7 footer who can shoot 3s like KP can, it's probably a little bit of both. Players not meshing well together and the scheme not being right. 

It's an unpopular opinion, but Luka may be bit of a problem too. He seems to be starting to develop a pattern with not meshing well with guys on the court.

(05-31-2021, 05:26 PM)loki Wrote: #2 is my preferred realistic KP trade at the moment. This series is showing how badly the Mavs need another wing, and Wiggins has actually been solid defensively. I also like getting out of KP's 23-24 player option which could put the Mavs back in the free agent market in a really good year. However, if I'm Golden State I only give up pick 14 rather than the Minny pick and I probably demand DFS as well. 

If a trade like that goes down, I'd try to sign Holmes/THJ and call it an offseason.

I understand GSW could say they will do this or that, it just depends how bad they want KP and how their offer stacks up against other offers. In my opinion there will be a market for KP. If a pick + Wiggins is the best offer on the table then ya I think Mavs will probably take the best offer that isn't total garbage. I just think that Minney pick or even Wiseman could be put on the table at some point. KP does what GSW wants/needs. Maybe they go in a different direction but I have felt for a while now they will be the favorite to land KP.

(05-31-2021, 06:50 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: I understand GSW could say they will do this or that, it just depends how bad they want KP and how their offer stacks up against other offers. In my opinion there will be a market for KP. If a pick + Wiggins is the best offer on the table then ya I think Mavs will probably take the best offer that isn't total garbage. I just think that Minney pick or even Wiseman could be put on the table at some point. KP does what GSW wants/needs. Maybe they go in a different direction but I have felt for a while now they will be the favorite to land KP.

So..with all the talk about GSW being the team that could use KP...

I only hear people talk about Wiseman or Wiggins and the Minny pick or 14th pick.   

Is there no scenario where they could try and move Klay to us?  Or is he super damaged goods?  Or is he too close with the organization and Curry and Green?

Forgive my ignorance if there is an obvious answer to the Klay question...from either Mavs or GSW.

Seems like the Mavs would love a shooter like him in return for KP unless he is too risky from a health standpoint and Mavs wouldnt do it.  Also seems like GSW might be interested in getting out of large contract for damaged goods player in Klay(Yes...I know that KP is damaged goods too. But if KP fit is so good that they are supposedly already interested in him knowing his injury history).

If Wiggins has been decent this year and there is no guarantee Klay comes back good...wouldnt GSW try and keep Wiggins contract and move Klay?  No interest in Klay around the League because of injuries?  Untradeable until he proves he can come back?

For better or worse Klay is not getting traded. I think until the big 3 are washed totally washed up, they are not going to break up that threesome. I just think a Klay trade would be a non-starter.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - ballsrchr - 05-31-2021

(05-31-2021, 05:55 PM)cjeter24 Wrote: It's an unpopular opinion, but Luka may be bit of a problem too. He seems to be starting to develop a pattern with not meshing well with guys on the court.

How so?  If you're talking about when Luka goes all offense I believe he does that because he's getting no viable support from the rest of the team.

When you have a generational type player--and they are fairly rare--the team needs to be built around that player.  This means that everyone on the team needs to mesh with HIM...not necessarily the other way around.  Of course it helps if that player--Luka--is an intelligent and personable person and the coaches know how to get the best out of him...while keeping the inflated egos under check.  Or...it may be the other way around: that Luka needs to know how to get the best out of his coaches--and the rest of the team.  But that's asking a lot from such a young man.

My meandering point being that Luka is the heart of the team.  Everybody else is supporting cast.  Some of them can be GREAT supporting cast...but supporting cast they are...

(05-31-2021, 10:03 PM)ballsrchr Wrote: How so?  If you're talking about when Luka goes all offense I believe he does that because he's getting no viable support from the rest of the team.

When you have a generational type player--and they are fairly rare--the team needs to be built around that player.  This means that everyone on the team needs to mesh with HIM...not necessarily the other way around.  Of course it helps if that player--Luka--is an intelligent and personable person and the coaches know how to get the best out of him...while keeping the inflated egos under check.  Or...it may be the other way around: that Luka needs to know how to get the best out of his coaches--and the rest of the team.  But that's asking a lot from such a young man.

My meandering point being that Luka is the heart of the team.  Everybody else is supporting cast.  Some of them can be GREAT supporting cast...but supporting cast they are...

Yeah I agree that he's not getting enough support. We need to improve the team. 

Luka's great but the slight concern is that he dictates how everyone else gets their shots. It's how he wants to give it to them and not necessarily what may be best for that player. Basically almost all the shots he creates are open shots off what he's doing to draw the defense in and not him running the offense and getting guys shot. It's the Lebron versus Chris Paul approach. Luka is waaaaaaaay too much Lebron right now with how the offense is being ran right now. Like the entire offense is let Luka break it down and open shots will come off that. 

Lebron has won 4 titles that way. But I'm not entirely sure that's the best approach. He had a flukey one with Bogut injury/Draymond suspension and he's had elite all star talent next to him in all of them. The narrative was at the end of Miami and at times in the 2nd stint in Cleveland "Lebron needs help"... And he had a ton of it. I've long wondered if Lebron played a slightly different style if he had won more titles. Plus asking Luka to be like Lebron over his entire career is a huge ask. 

Point being... With the style Luka and the Mavs are playing atm, better talent may not result in better results.