MavsBoard
HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS (/showthread.php?tid=56)

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - DrMav - 11-21-2019

(11-20-2019, 07:46 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: If you think about it, if KP scored 2 more of the 2 pointers he's taking and 1 more of the 3's he'd be averaging 7 more points per game. I don't think it's out of the question that he will get to that point with the amount of shots he already gets. If he was scoring 26 ppg with Luka scoring 30 ppg, there's absolutely no reason we need another star/superstar on this team. Just need better starters.

While this sounds great, unfortunately it's not that easy. To increase his scoring that much just by making those shots without increasing the volume would require substantially higher shooting percentages.

Making 2 more 2-pointers a game would take him from 43% on those (4.3/10) up to 63%, and making 1 more 3-pointer would take him from 35.4% on those (2.2/6.3) up to 52.4%.

If he just gets back to his pre-injury efficiency with NYK across all field goals and FT's, that would just get him to 20.1 PPG with his current shot selection/volume.

I think KP should easily be a 24+ PPG scorer for us (I also think he'll get there), but it will require both better efficiency and more shots. If he can do that with Luka being Luka, we're definitely set just building around these two.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - SportPsychMav - 11-21-2019

https://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2019/11/21/20975494/kristaps-porzingis-better-rebounder-dallas-mavericks-doncic

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - ItsGoTime - 11-21-2019

(11-21-2019, 11:41 AM)DrMav Wrote:
(11-20-2019, 07:46 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: If you think about it, if KP scored 2 more of the 2 pointers he's taking and 1 more of the 3's he'd be averaging 7 more points per game. I don't think it's out of the question that he will get to that point with the amount of shots he already gets. If he was scoring 26 ppg with Luka scoring 30 ppg, there's absolutely no reason we need another star/superstar on this team. Just need better starters.

While this sounds great, unfortunately it's not that easy. To increase his scoring that much just by making those shots without increasing the volume would require substantially higher shooting percentages.

Making 2 more 2-pointers a game would take him from 43% on those (4.3/10) up to 63%, and making 1 more 3-pointer would take him from 35.4% on those (2.2/6.3) up to 52.4%.

If he just gets back to his pre-injury efficiency with NYK across all field goals and FT's, that would just get him to 20.1 PPG with his current shot selection/volume.

I think KP should easily be a 24+ PPG scorer for us (I also think he'll get there), but it will require both better efficiency and more shots. If he can do that with Luka being Luka, we're definitely set just building around these two.
Ok, so the extra 1 3 per game is high (didn't look at what that would mean as far as %). If he just got that up to around 38-40% with the volume he's shooting then whatever decimal amount of makes that would be. However, when I look at the 2P shots he's taking, I really don't think getting to 2 more per game is all that much (and maybe more). 

The looks he's getting are basically wide open (shooting waaaay over the top of the defender), he just needs to put more arch on the shot when he posts up (also needs to work on hand and arm strength to get the ball through all those swiping hands that aren't called fouls as well as fumbling the ball when he takes body contact). I realize this is how he played in NY and he couldn't hit those shots there either, he's still developing at 24 years old and an 18 month hiatus from physical basketball improvement. If he keeps working as hard as it sounds he is, it'll happen. That along with being the defensive anchor for us would be amazing production.

(Edit) I'd also like to see the FO put 2 big bodies around him. Similar to Dirk needing 2 high end defensive players around him, I think KP at this point needs to play against the worst player of the 3-5 position who has the least amount of banging game. This would also allow for him to block hunt and call out the assignments on defense like TC was able to do.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - SleepingHero - 11-21-2019

(11-21-2019, 09:08 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I'd also like to see the FO put 2 big bodies around him. Similar to Dirk needing 2 high end defensive players around him

If only we could clone Shawn Marion and Tyson Chandler we'd have the ideal front court for KP. The defense would be insane.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - ItsGoTime - 11-21-2019

(11-21-2019, 09:16 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: If only we could clone Shawn Marion and Tyson Chandler we'd have the ideal front court for KP. The defense would be insane.
I'm actually thinking Crowder and Favors would do very nicely. Those 2 are actually available in this coming off season! Would love to get them before that as well.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - ClutchDirk - 11-22-2019

https://twitter.com/mavstats/status/1197879684069019653

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - Kammrath - 11-22-2019

https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status/1198078839362117632

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - SportPsychMav - 11-22-2019

Tim MacMahon (@espn_macmahon) Tweeted:

Rick Carlisle after a 4-block night for Kristaps Porzingis: “What KP is doing defensively, will somebody please write a story on that?” Entering tonight, opponents were shooting only 44.9% in the restricted area when Porzingis was nearby, per @nbastats. https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status/1198088933285998597?s=20

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - JamesConway - 11-23-2019

Doncic + Porzingis 2 man-lineups now over 355 minutes:

+ 3.8 points per 100 possessions

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/porzikr01/lineups/2020

And the Luka + KP + THJr three man-lineups are just going nuclear on other teams with +36 in roughly 100 minutes together so far

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - JamesConway - 11-24-2019

+32 tonight

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - omahen - 11-24-2019

KP is really a difference maker on the defensive side. It shows most when he is not playing.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - Kammrath - 11-24-2019

https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1198745450528022528

https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1198746470188490752

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - SportPsychMav - 11-24-2019

He is getting better passing out of the post, his shooting is still atrocious when posting up.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - Mavsfan12 - 11-24-2019

(11-24-2019, 08:59 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote: He is getting better passing out of the post, his shooting is still atrocious when posting up.

It seems crazy that it has been so bad.  His shot comes out sooo flat.  This seems VERY correctable.  When those post shots start falling, this team will REALLY be unstoppable on offense!  Seems like he may still be pressing, and needs to calm down and take his time.  He is skying over the D for those shots down there.  I like how they have run plays for him at the elbow on pin downs to get him going.  These kind of shots will really loosen up the defense - especially in the minutes that Luka the Destroyer isn't out there carving up the paint!

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - SportPsychMav - 11-24-2019

(11-24-2019, 09:10 PM)Mavsfan12 Wrote:
(11-24-2019, 08:59 PM)SportPsychMav Wrote: He is getting better passing out of the post, his shooting is still atrocious when posting up.

It seems crazy that it has been so bad.  His shot comes out sooo flat.  This seems VERY correctable.  When those post shots start falling, this team will REALLY be unstoppable on offense!  Seems like he may still be pressing, and needs to calm down and take his time.  He is skying over the D for those shots down there.  I like how they have run plays for him at the elbow on pin downs to get him going.  These kind of shots will really loosen up the defense - especially in the minutes that Luka the Destroyer isn't out there carving up the paint!

He "just" needs to slow down. Nobody can stop him. Maybe needs to practice his breathing technique.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - donzingis38 - 11-24-2019

He badly needs to develop a one legged fadeaway. All he has to do is reach out to Dirk.

But nice to see him getting his swag back a little. That NY stuff really rattled him. Lol

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - jesusshuttlesworth82 - 11-24-2019

He is lost offensively and is still giving us 19/9 and 2 blocks.  It might take him the whole year to regain his offensive game like it did for Paul George and Gordon Hayward.  But to me, it's encouraging the way he's rebounding and blocking shots considering the best part of his game is missing.  Also love his interviews: very well spoken and seems to recognize exactly what the problem is.  So many players seem clueless about their performance.  It bodes well for next year and the future.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - StepBackJay - 11-24-2019

Man I really liked this game from KP. He looked great all the way around. On offense I liked when I saw him get deep position one time which got him an easy basket. He also got a few dunks racing in from the corner which was great. I like him setting up there sometimes. He can either stay there and shoot a 3 or the better idea is to race towards basket knowing the defense will collapse on Luka. Awesome game by my guy KP.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - Thukydides - 11-25-2019

So, how is it possible that the boxscore has KP with only one block? That´s absurd. He had that huge one on Capela and to my estimations maybe 2 or 3 more.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis - ItsGoTime - 11-25-2019

(11-25-2019, 05:05 AM)Thukydides Wrote: So, how is it possible that the boxscore has KP with only one block? That´s absurd. He had that huge one on Capela and to my estimations maybe 2 or 3 more.
I think the other ones you saw had fouls called associated with them. I felt the same way, but this was my realization.