MavsBoard
HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS - Printable Version

+- MavsBoard (https://www.mavsboard.com)
+-- Forum: Boards (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Dallas Mavericks and the NBA (https://www.mavsboard.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=2)
+--- Thread: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | TRADED to WAS (/showthread.php?tid=56)

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Kammrath - 05-30-2021

(05-30-2021, 04:00 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Hmmm, a Horford/pick centric trade might not be horrible. Issue would be what can we do in trade to get players out of the picks?

Edit: I’m talking a lot of picks though. One for taking on Horford and 3 for KP.

Right, I would totally take Horford on this team as a placeholder while getting assets for KP. Then be on the lookout for your next star player that comes available.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - StepBackJay - 05-30-2021

(05-30-2021, 04:06 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Right, I would totally take Horford on this team as a placeholder while getting assets for KP. Then be on the lookout for your next star player that comes available.

This idea is growing on me too. Horford is still a good player just overpaid. I think OKC has like 18 first round picks or something nuts like that so they have picks to burn. KP would be a high risk high return type of move for them and they also have a good reputation for being player-friendly.

All that being said if KP doesn't want to play there then even if they have interest they might not make an offer if KP is just going to pout.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - DanSchwartzgan - 05-30-2021

(05-30-2021, 03:57 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Can you talk me through why OKC wouldn't be a possible fit? 

I think OKC could use KP as a way to use and consolidate some of their current picks WHILE rehabbing KP's image so they can try to flip him again in a trade in a couple years.

I think that day is coming, but I don't think now or KP is right for the type of trade you describe.  I'm also not in favor of pick based compensation given where Dallas is right now.  Just one man's opinion.

I do like the way you indicate OKC could buy KP for pennies and turn him into dollars.  They have proven to be smart that way...and patient.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - StepBackJay - 05-30-2021

I would say that Mavs aren't going to sell KP for pennies either. We can think he's a bum but he does have value and Mavs can still play hardball. There will be enough suitors to get a good deal. Good. Is relative but I think we will be happy with what the Mavs get.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - DanSchwartzgan - 05-30-2021

(05-30-2021, 04:03 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: All three teams I listed would probably send their current starting center to Dallas. Adams. Poeltl. Bryant.
White is a good option for the Mavs. Would definitely ask for him or one of the younger guys (Vassell, picks).
Already mentioned it. I think the Spurs do a trade like this if they intend to bring back DeRozan. Build around DeRozan/KP. On paper they have some young and talented wings/ perimeter forwards that can play next to KP (Samanic, Johnson).

For the Mavs it would be a salary dump + x deal. You already mentioned the possibility of a KP trade that creates additional capspace.

I can buy the idea of KP AND DeRozan.  I guess I've already moved on from DeRozan (on their behalf Smile ).  It isn't my favorite (for them), but it probably shouldn't be dismissed out of hand.  KP plus Zion would be horrendous defensively, so still no to that for me.

Totally missed that you put Washington in your post...sorry.  Yeah, KP is the kind of desperate for a third star deal they might do.  I passed on them originally because I don't think they have the personnel at PF to make this work.  But, who are we kidding.  This is the Wiz.  Healthy Bryant is a good center and you can certainly continue building on our Global Village approach to roster building.  They were among the original rumors for KP, so yeah, I'll buy them.  KP would make it easier for Westbrook to operate, though not sure KP will be happy sharing shots with both Beal and Russell.

Kings like to do random stuff. Can we just trade KP for Harry Barnes and Bagley?

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - ItsGoTime - 05-30-2021

KP might be to the point where if he goes to another team he doesn’t mind deferring to other stars. Things like that have a way of changing perspective with some players.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - dirkfansince1998 - 05-30-2021

(05-30-2021, 06:09 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: KP might be to the point where if he goes to another team he doesn’t mind deferring to other stars. Things like that have a way of changing perspective with some players.

DSJ return incoming Big Grin

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Tyler - 05-30-2021

(05-30-2021, 05:18 PM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I'm also not in favor of pick based compensation given where Dallas is right now.  Just one man's opinion.

I agree. But I also think that trading KP to OKC could be a good way to acquire multiple picks that could be forwarded elsewhere for win-now players. For example, I imagine a pick might come in handy when talking to teams like Atlanta or Chicago about their pending RFAs.

Speaking of Atlanta, one idea that sorta makes sense to me involves KP to OKC, Horford + OKC pick to Atlanta, and Collins + OKC pick to Dallas. Dallas gets their PF, OKC unloads Horford and gets a big name to build back up, and Atlanta gets an effective replacement for Collins for less long-term money which could be useful for future cap planning. The fact that Horford spent most of his career in Atlanta also doesn't hurt since I believe he was well-liked there. And Dallas also gets an extra pick to flip for another useful player. 

Now whether that's enough for Dallas, I'm not sure. If they shop KP (which I think they will) I suspect they'll be aiming pretty high. But I do think OKC is an interesting name to keep an eye on for how working with them could open up more possibilities.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - embellisher - 05-30-2021

I have resisted jumping on the "trade KP" bandwagon all year. 

I told myself he was recovering from surgery, and that he would be back to what we saw last year in the bubble over he was fully recovered. 

Then I told myself that he was saving his aggressiveness for the playoffs. 

I'm done lying to myself. 

The KP we saw last year in the bubble hasn't shown up. I don't know if he's physically not able to be that guy anymore, if it's something psychological, like being afraid of getting hurt again, or if he just doesn't care to give the effort to be that guy anymore. 

Quite frankly, I'm done. It's time to trade him for whatever he will bring, even if it's pennies on the dollar at this point. 

It's not worth wasting any more of Luka's time with our team. I am hoping that Luka plays 21 seasons here just like Dirk. But unless we do something to get better, fitting players who will actually play their butts off around him, he'll be gone. We know he'll sign his Supermax, because almost everybody does. But we've seen guys sign that contract and then force their way out because they didn't believe the front office could or would put a good team around them.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - HoosierDaddyKid - 05-30-2021

(05-30-2021, 02:41 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Toughness attached to a player who is good enough to be in the playoff rotation, and not just some deep bench novelty would be an improvement, yes. 

Although, I will say the team seems much tougher mentally than last season, at least to me. I think the last problem with softness is centered around their paint defense and ability to clear the defensive glass and not about their willingness to standup to the other team, if that makes sense.

Makes plenty of sense. Good luck finding one that fits their scheme.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo - 05-31-2021

Toughness?

We've been talking about that guy for months.

Richaun Holmes is a must for this team.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Chicagojk - 05-31-2021

Look, last night was a lost cause.  That Clippers team was the much better team.   And I didn't think KP was very good either (like everyone else).  

But my small nitpick, KP hits his first two shots last night and then Luka looks for him again on the next possession in the post.   It was either good defense, KP not sealing great or poor pass.   The game was so awful, I will not go back.   But there was a turnover.  After that, I don't believe KP got another shot for awhile.   If I am Luka, I would be trying to get 10 shots for KP in the first quarter.   If Luka hits his first two shots, Is there any doubt he will get 10 shots?    If we really want KP to be your number 2, then sometimes you need to treat him like that.   If DFS hits his first two shots, the team will not look for him.    I don't think you treat DFS and KP the same.  Now, KP deserves blame too, but I would liked to see him force fed especially after his first two makes.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - Kammrath - 05-31-2021

(05-31-2021, 07:25 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: But my small nitpick, KP hits his first two shots last night and then Luka looks for him again on the next possession in the post.   It was either good defense, KP not sealing great or poor pass.   The game was so awful, I will not go back.   But there was a turnover.  After that, I don't believe KP got another shot for awhile.   If I am Luka, I would be trying to get 10 shots for KP in the first quarter.   If Luka hits his first two shots, Is there any doubt he will get 10 shots?    If we really want KP to be your number 2, then sometimes you need to treat him like that.

I think it would be a team disaster to try to do that (of course last night was a disaster anyway). To force feed KP is to 1) make him inefficient and 2) tank the team offense. I truly believe that. KP has to get his shots within the flow to be more efficient, if he doesn't then efficiency tanks.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - ItsGoTime - 05-31-2021

(05-31-2021, 07:29 AM)Kammrath Wrote: To force feed KP is to 1) make him inefficient and 2) tank the team offense. I truly believe that. KP has to get his shots within the flow to be more efficient, if he doesn't then efficiency tanks.
This is the team we brought to the playoffs. We can't not take KP where we are. Chicago is pretty spot on with what should happen on this team.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - StepBackJay - 05-31-2021

(05-31-2021, 07:20 AM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: Toughness?

We've been talking about that guy for months.

Richaun Holmes is a must for this team.

How is his rim protection? Mavs need someone who can actually contest shots at the rim and also close out on shooters which is hard to find.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - omahen - 05-31-2021

(05-31-2021, 08:37 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: How is his rim protection? Mavs need someone who can actually contest shots at the rim

Who is rim protector for the Clippers? I think it is more and more clear rare bigs can actually play in playoff basketball. I don't think center is a priority for the team.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - ItsGoTime - 05-31-2021

(05-31-2021, 08:40 AM)omahen Wrote: Who is rim protector for the Clippers? I think it is more and more clear rare bigs can actually play in playoff basketball. I don't think center is a priority for the team.
I agree in principle, however I have 2 buts. The Clippers are full of players that are 2 way, and high end defenders. Also, Last year's playoffs isn't a ringing endorsement of their team being the way to go.

RE: HOLY KRISTAPS: All Things Porzingis | Would you trade him? - StepBackJay - 05-31-2021

(05-31-2021, 08:40 AM)omahen Wrote: Who is rim protector for the Clippers? I think it is more and more clear rare bigs can actually play in playoff basketball. I don't think center is a priority for the team.

So Zubac is the rim protector (Ibaka too when healthy) but Mavs forced them small. The problem is they have such good wing defenders that Mavs can't handle that lineup to say the least. I think Luka will have the ability to torch lineups that have a weak link whether big or small (that's good) but Clips small lineup doesn't have a bum he can hunt.

To me the counter would be to have a rim protector who is probably easier to find that multiple 2 way wings and guards. 

If Mavs had a rim protector behind them I think they could keep up with the Clips more.

Candidates:

- Holmes: Seems like he's good at defense, would like to see some analytics
- Horford: Still a very good player and would fit Mavs perfectly, not too hard to obtain except for salary matching
- Mitchell Robinson: Perfect fit, been preaching this for a while that Mavs should do Brunson for MR
- Turner: Perfect fit, not sure if Mavs have what Pacers want but Turner would fit perfectly
- Theis: I don't know if he's as much of a rim defender as he is a good 2-way player that's gettable
- T. Young: Not a rim defender so much but sort of a Maxi replacement, won't cost a lot
- Wiseman: Shows potential to be a versatile player on both ends
- Zeller: Not a shot blocker but seems like a good 2-way rotational big
- Ibaka: Injured this year and Clips don't really need him. Mavs wanted Ibaka last summer so he could be an option. He is cheaper and you can keep his minutes down to save him for the playoffs.

Also I am not saying we should overreact to the Clippers matchup bc not every team can do what the Clippers can do.

I think a real 2 way rim protector though will continue to help Mavs against other teams to punish teams that go small. KP was supposed to be that but obv that is failing on both ends.